Beef As Energy Food

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
You read it right - beef is an energy food. We are deluged with hype on healthy foods like vegetables, fruits, fish and some meat except beef. I wonder why beef producers don't stand up and promote their products? The best endorser of beef is Manny Pacquiao, He eats a big serving of his favorite boiled beef when he is on training. That is the food that gives him the energy he would expend in the gym.

Reactions: nonicenevecs86
It's called PROTEIN. The source of energy and building muscles. It can be found in every in most if not all living creatures on the planet. It is also found in some vegetables and beans as well. It isn't only subject to BEEF. Manny Pacquiao has a nutritionist and a trainer that gives him his daily doses of protein shakes and vitamins. He just shows up and drink what they make for him. That is why all boxers come under fire for steroid use, because most trainers will give it to them, without the boxers knowledge, months before an actual event and testing to help with recuperation. That way they can ween off the steroids in their system before testing is done.

Beef is not a source of instant energy. It contains a high amount of saturated fat and bad cholesterol. Though athletes can consume it, it does not provide any instant energy but sustains a person over a long period of time as fat takes a while to burn and release energy. Of course, beef contains other nutrients as well, but is not a first choice energy food.

Bonzer said:
Beef is not a source of instant energy. It contains a high amount of saturated fat and bad cholesterol. Though athletes can consume it, it does not provide any instant energy but sustains a person over a long period of time as fat takes a while to burn and release energy. Of course, beef contains other nutrients as well, but is not a first choice energy food.
Bad cholesterol is a old myth. Cholesterol is needed to survive. There is no such thing as bad cholesterol. When you don't eat enough protein that has high density lipoproteins (HDL), that is when you can form heat disease. It is a complicated and long subject matter that will take forever to explain. I will say this, they have fed us a bunch of lies to make us think that cholesterol is reason for heart disease and anything else that they could pin on it.

There are 2 kinds of lipo proteins that make up cholesterol. High density lipoporteins and low density lipopreteins. Whenever there is a tear in the inner lining of the heart region cholesterol is called upon to repair them. LDL is sent in to patch the walls like a band aid, and HDL flows by and removes LDL. That is a constant process. Now when you don't eat meat or a protein source, your HDL count lowers and is not readily available like LDL. So what happens? The band aid is left on the tears and they become infected and the heart starts to build up a yellow plaque that is now heart disease.

I could not see it as an instant source of energy because of the long hours it will take for any meat to be digested. Protein build muscles we need it for recovery and to manufacture certain substances in the body. I would rather grab some readily digestible protein for my energy needs during a tiring work out or ride. I do not like the after taste which is quite similar with lamb I guess that is because am a fan of chicken

I love eating beef jerky. This does not have much to do with cycling, but whenever I get done lifting weights, I always try to go to the store and get some Jack's Links. It's a great source of protein with little to no fat.

Corzhens said:
You read it right - beef is an energy food. We are deluged with hype on healthy foods like vegetables, fruits, fish and some meat except beef. I wonder why beef producers don't stand up and promote their products? The best endorser of beef is Manny Pacquiao, He eats a big serving of his favorite boiled beef when he is on training. That is the food that gives him the energy he would expend in the gym.
I don't understand your penchant for spreading misinformation. Beef can be healthy because it contains proteins, but it's not really an energy food if you're looking for a quick burst of energy. There's no "hype" on vegetables, fruit, and fish because they're proven to be a lot healthier than consuming red meat on a regular basis. Manny Pacquiao eats a lot more than boiled beef, so you need to start making some sense with your nutritional advice because most of it has gone in the face of science so far.

Protein can be converted into glucose when you eat lots of it with low or almost no carbs ( gluconeogenesis) which is the reason why some people still get insulin spikes on a paleo diet but relying on beef for energy is downright farsical and unhealthy

Regarding cholesterol it is a whole new topic but i agree with @joshposh on the cholesterol myth. There are a lot of studies debunking the correlation between high cholesterol and heart disease (it is important to keep your trigs low tho).

gavinfree said:
I don't understand your penchant for spreading misinformation. Beef can be healthy because it contains proteins, but it's not really an energy food if you're looking for a quick burst of energy. There's no "hype" on vegetables, fruit, and fish because they're proven to be a lot healthier than consuming red meat on a regular basis. Manny Pacquiao eats a lot more than boiled beef, so you need to start making some sense with your nutritional advice because most of it has gone in the face of science so far.
I don't understand about that misinformation that I'm spreading. There is a hype on vegetables as what I see here particularly in the morning shows on tv. They always promote vegetables as if meat is poison. And did I say beef gives a quick burst of energy? I guess you are getting the wrong message when reading my post. Or maybe you are just peeved that I know more about nutrition than you do. Take it from Manny Pacquiao, he was the one who said that benefit of beef.

@corzhens although i have to agree with @gavinfree and @joshposh that beef is not an energy food but mainly for recovery and muscle building maybe what youre trying to say is that a purely vegan or vegetarian diet may not be all that beneficial as its cranked up to be? (it can br quite tricky to do it right... you need to get enough fat to absorb fat soluble nuttients and a complete amino acid profile you might get from beef and other meat)?

Reactions: Corzhens
Chris Froome loves a good steak and apparently eats one most evenings during the Tour. I doubt you'll see him chowing one down prior to the start of each days stage or ripping one apart with his hands and teeth mid stage but you can't beat a good sirloin, filet or ribeye on a plate piled with either spuds or pasta and some tasty veggies.

As for vegimaterians, I can only think of one fairly successful cyclist who was one: Robert Millar.

Reactions: Corzhens
I've always been wary of beef since the mad cow disease inception. However I do agree with you that it is packed with energy because I've proven it for myself. I think people try to avoid it because it's also full of salt and other bad cholesterol stuff that just degrade your health. It must be noted however that it will only affect your health adversely if it is that you eat it in excess.

All meats have protein. Beef especially is rich in protein. It's also rich in Cholesterol, which can have an adverse impact on the heart. It is just advised that we eat beef in the right proportion. I actually love beef very much but I would only eat a large sum If I know I'm going to be involved in intense and extreme physical activities. So my body's system would burn it out and make use of it.

Totally different topic but cholesterol is actually not all that bad as long as you have a good ratio of trig and hdl...

I agree that protein is helpful in maintaining your energy, but I don't think that eating too much red meat is super healthy overall. I'll bring beef jerky as a snack once in awhile on long hikes, but mostly I prefer to get my protein from other sources like peanut butter, fish, dairy, and soy products.

For quick energy on a ride, a banana or energy bar has always worked for me.

While I agree that beef is food for energy as its full of protein, it's takes a while for your body to be able to break it down, so it's possibly not something I would class as food to boost my energy.

I'd probably go for the sugary items like energy drinks and even chocolate like a mars bar. While they're not the healthiest of foods of course, they do provide almost instant energy and when you need a quick boost they're gaurenteed to do the job, if only for a short space of time.

You know I've always been mixed about what I think about that. So many people swear they have to have meat. Now I know it doesn't give people energy at all. I've gone back and forth for years with eating meat or being vegetarian. Recently just decided on vegan and certainly we will get ten times more energy from fruit and vegetables. You just have to eat more of it. Our digestive system is really long and doesn't digest meat well. It gets stuck. The carnivore and omnivore have shorter digestive systems and are made for eating meat. But our society is for the most part brainwashed into eating meat. I feel the difference and really don't see the need for eating meat. But, to each his own.

Well I like eating meat to be honest and that's the way I'm going to stay I think. While like I said, I'm not entirely sure if meat does give you extra energy or not, I do think it as some dietary benefits.

Aswell as just enjoying the taste, I do think to live off just veg alone would be a bit too bland for my liking aswell.