Beef As Energy Food

Nowadays people are becoming afraid of consuming red meat. Meat and meat products have been linked to different types of cancer that is why people are switching to food options. I myself don't like eating beef. I think that there are other types of that can provide energy like foods high in carbohydrates.

Good quality non-processed beef in reasonable quantities is very good for you.
It's the low grade processed **** that's bad.
Like McDicks burgers or deli meats.
Life is too short not to cook a rare steak at home or have a few good homemade burgers.

My only basis for making this post is Manny Pacquiao's meat eating spree during training. His favorite is boiled beef that gives him the power - according to him. And since I cannot argue with that so I believe that indeed beef can give us the strength. For the vegans, I'm sure they will discount the benefit of meat since they don't eat meat, understandably.

I have times when I have very little energy and I can eat a few beef strips and it perks me right up. These are the same types of meat that are used in fajitas. I keep a supply of them at all times and they give me energy and help with headaches as well. Protein has a multitude of benefits.

Well yeah, beef is a good source of protein which is required for those functions. It doesn't act as an immediate energy booster but over time it really ramps up. The cost however to maintain such a diet might be a bit too much and you can probably get the same effectiveness from other items for less.

Beef is not a preferred source of energy for the body. The body will not generally utilize fats or proteins before carbohydrates as a primary energy source. This doesn't mean that it isn't used, just not as readily as carbohydrates.

Beef is good if you want to build muscle but I wouldn't have it if I was going to have a race the next day. It has a high level of lactic acid and will severely diminish your stamina., but if I was in training and had to build up muscular mass, it's great source of protein.

Beef is good if you want to build muscle but I wouldn't have it if I was going to have a race the next day. It has a high level of lactic acid and will severely diminish your stamina., but if I was in training and had to build up muscular mass, it's great source of protein.
That lactic acid angle is a stretch at best. It isn't going to be much of an energy source but it won't diminish stamina.

While I think we can all agree that our body benefits from the nutrients we get from beef when training (apart from the vegetarians and vegans that is) I couldn't see how eating beef before or during a ride is going to have any positive effect, not in such a short space of time.

In a long training camp such as a boxer will have before a fight then the effects will be there to see, but only at a minimum where endurance is concerned.

Most people are aware that carbs are the quickest energy source for our bodies. I've been reading up on fats being the best energy source for our bodies. A lot of the paleo crowd talks about it and how our bodies evolved to utilize fats as energy.

Most people are aware that carbs are the quickest energy source for our bodies. I've been reading up on fats being the best energy source for our bodies. A lot of the paleo crowd talks about it and how our bodies evolved to utilize fats as energy.

The paleo crowd are basing their ideas on pseudo-science, assumptions, and what people that stand to make money off of it tell them. There are three sources of energy for the body. Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates. Eating to much of any of them can cause health problems and they all can be stored as fat when eaten in excess. Putting your body into ketosis is dangerous and it is not a state meant to be maintained. Using fats as a primary energy source has terrible ramifications for the heart and and the entire cardiovascular system.

I do think that money plays a big part in these so called fad diets and when you look at some of the eating behaviour that's recommended, such as in this case, it's easy to see that there's something else behind it other than that they're just concerned about your health!

Reactions: Jcycle
I know a lot of people who take some jerky like meats along with them when they go hikes and long rides, and it is a good little treat to have. I have always found the stuff to be pretty expensive so I tend to stick to oats and nuts and things like that, but I guess I could expand a little more. Maybe I will pack a stick of meat next time.

I think nuts are a better protein source for a ride than beef jerky to be honest. Paired with some dry fruit you have the perfect snack.

For someone liking beef as well I would sadly say disagree. When it comes to training and dieting the best you can do is try avoiding red meats such as BEEF. There's plenty of articles that suggest one to not eat red meats when dieting. As a source of energy I prefer white meats but I respect your opinion.

I would assume that there are better supplements if you want to go for energy food, perhaps even try to balance with some fruit and that will do the trick if you're really craving for red meats. Personally I can't digest well if I were to eat red meats and go for a ride so I'm more into light side of meals.

I love eating beef jerky. This does not have much to do with cycling, but whenever I get done lifting weights, I always try to go to the store and get some Jack's Links. It's a great source of protein with little to no fat.
Really? I thought beef is full of fat but I was wrong. Now, I will eat it as an energy food.:D

I would assume that there are better supplements if you want to go for energy food, perhaps even try to balance with some fruit and that will do the trick if you're really craving for red meats. Personally I can't digest well if I were to eat red meats and go for a ride so I'm more into light side of meals.
Can you recommend me some supplements? Any good one?

All food is energy as long as we know what we are doing. For example, if we eat too much before riding we simply get lazy.

Really? I thought beef is full of fat but I was wrong. Now, I will eat it as an energy food.:D
You shouldn't. Your body wont use it for a primary source of energy unless you are in ketosis. Ketosis is unhealthy, despite what the paleo crowd says. Stick to a carb and protein combination. Carbs that digest a little more slowly combined with a healthy protein source are best for cycling.