Beef As Energy Food

Supplements are completely unnecessary if you eat right.

While I understand the sentiment behind your post, sometimes supplements can be beneficial to some people.

Here in the UK for example, over 3/4 of the people have a vitamin D deficiency, due to the lack of Sun we get, so doctors advise people to take supplements to boost that for example.

While I understand the sentiment behind your post, sometimes supplements can be beneficial to some people.

Here in the UK for example, over 3/4 of the people have a vitamin D deficiency, due to the lack of Sun we get, so doctors advise people to take supplements to boost that for example.

Let my clarify. I should have said that supplements are unnecessary barring medical need and dietary issues. The pacific northwest of the USA (where I live)has the same exact issue as you mentioned for the UK. The stats vary slightly, but we are in the same range.

That said, I wouldn't take a supplement unless my doctor told me I needed it, even vitamin D. I wouldn't just decide based on statistics or the perceived needs of others. I'm just stubborn like that.

Reactions: pwarbi
Let my clarify. I should have said that supplements are unnecessary barring medical need and dietary issues. The pacific northwest of the USA (where I live)has the same exact issue as you mentioned for the UK. The stats vary slightly, but we are in the same range.

That said, I wouldn't take a supplement unless my doctor told me I needed it, even vitamin D. I wouldn't just decide based on statistics or the perceived needs of others. I'm just stubborn like that.

I think a lot of people think the same though, and they hear the word supplements and automatically think they've turned into a druggie, and that's not the case at all like I said.

Taking steroids and other band substances is totally different to medication or vitamin supplements advised by a doctor and its just a shame that people who do this, get tarred with the same brush as those who cheat.

I think a lot of people think the same though, and they hear the word supplements and automatically think they've turned into a druggie, and that's not the case at all like I said.

Taking steroids and other band substances is totally different to medication or vitamin supplements advised by a doctor and its just a shame that people who do this, get tarred with the same brush as those who cheat.
Actually, I hadn't even thought of it that way. I really don't hear "dug abuse" when somebody says supplement. I hear "expensive urine" and "waste of money" in most cases. :p Most supplements people take, of the vitamin and health variety, are unnecessary. That is all I meant.

Reactions: pwarbi
I just know that in the gym that I go to, on the induction you get asked if you use supplements and if so which ones. It then goes on to say that any illegal supplements are banned from use etc...the usual terms and conditions you'd probably find in most gyms that you have to abide by.

I was just making the point that the word supplements covers a wide range of products, some are perfectly fine while others can get you locked up, and I just think there needs to be separation between them.

I can just see it now... Somebody will cram dehydrated powdered beef into a capsule and sell it as an energy booster. :D Can you picture it? There would be some sort of obtuse yet successful advertising campaign getting everybody to think beef is an energy food. Hey, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. It could be me making money off of the ignorant masses desperately clutching at food fads! :p

Beef takes almost 3 days to digest and that would lead us to believe it isn't instant energy. Your body has to break down food to disperse the nutrients. I don't think beef is an instant source of energy but it is energy for the muscles. Also being vegan does not mean you get more energy than people that eat meat. I am a biology major and really there isn't much benefits to being a vegetarian.

Beef is not a source of instant energy. It contains a high amount of saturated fat and bad cholesterol. Though athletes can consume it, it does not provide any instant energy but sustains a person over a long period of time as fat takes a while to burn and release energy. Of course, beef contains other nutrients as well, but is not a first choice energy food.
That's why beef is disreputed. There are two types of cholesterol - good and bad. It contains bad cholesterol which is bad for us and that is why I don't prefer beef as an energy food. Instead of this, you may take healthy food for energy. You may take Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Spinach, Almond, Banana, etc as a source of energy. There are many healthy alternatives out there.

That's why beef is disreputed. There are two types of cholesterol - good and bad. It contains bad cholesterol which is bad for us and that is why I don't prefer beef as an energy food. Instead of this, you may take healthy food for energy. You may take Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Spinach, Almond, Banana, etc as a source of energy. There are many healthy alternatives out there.

That isn't how cholesterol works. Ingested cholesterol does not get added to your serum cholesterol levels any more than eating a drumstick would give you a chicken leg. It is broken down or stored as fat like any other substance. Human cholesterol is made by the body, not added to from animal cholesterols.

This is something that's actually talked about a lot. Things like beef jerky are a great snack for athletic people or even just people who are trying to be healthier. Of course, it would obviously be better if you made your own with a food dehydrator since then you can control how much salt or other things are being put into it and make it even healthier for you. But really, any kind of protein is good for athletes.

But in terms of eating healthier, chicken or fish is the better source of protein because they're much leaner than beef. That's why athletes who are trying to build muscle will eat boiled chicken or salmon and broccoli or another kind of vegetable.

This is something that's actually talked about a lot. Things like beef jerky are a great snack for athletic people or even just people who are trying to be healthier. Of course, it would obviously be better if you made your own with a food dehydrator since then you can control how much salt or other things are being put into it and make it even healthier for you. But really, any kind of protein is good for athletes.

But in terms of eating healthier, chicken or fish is the better source of protein because they're much leaner than beef. That's why athletes who are trying to build muscle will eat boiled chicken or salmon and broccoli or another kind of vegetable.
Yes, but meat in general, is not a quick energy source. Especially for something like cycling. Regardless of the fat content.

Beef takes almost 3 days to digest and that would lead us to believe it isn't instant energy. Your body has to break down food to disperse the nutrients. I don't think beef is an instant source of energy but it is energy for the muscles. Also being vegan does not mean you get more energy than people that eat meat. I am a biology major and really there isn't much benefits to being a vegetarian.

It is surprising for me to know that beef needs 3 days for complete digestion. If that is so then you are right that beef does not give instant energy. And for the second time, I'm also surprised to read your opinion about the benefits of being a vegetarian that there's not much difference. So maybe a vegetarian is more of a psychological effect on the lifestyle and not really biological.

It is surprising for me to know that beef needs 3 days for complete digestion. If that is so then you are right that beef does not give instant energy. And for the second time, I'm also surprised to read your opinion about the benefits of being a vegetarian that there's not much difference. So maybe a vegetarian is more of a psychological effect on the lifestyle and not really biological.

Don't take her word on that. I didn't see any sources cited or references mentioned for that. At any rate protein is not a quick or instant energy source to begin with, carbohydrates are.

Reactions: Corzhens
For instant energy you need glucose that's how come many athletes consume glucose gel before their races. For athletes to have energy throughout the race they need monosaccharide, disaccharide and polisaccharide. Glucose is a monosaccharide so it will be used up immediately and give the athlete instant energy. Protean is used to build up muscles but beef isn't just pure protein it also contains lipids but doesn't have any sugars. So in order to get the energy out of beef takes a long time.
Who said that high school biology wouldn't come in handy. :)

Reactions: Corzhens
For instant energy you need glucose that's how come many athletes consume glucose gel before their races. For athletes to have energy throughout the race they need monosaccharide, disaccharide and polisaccharide. Glucose is a monosaccharide so it will be used up immediately and give the athlete instant energy. Protean is used to build up muscles but beef isn't just pure protein it also contains lipids but doesn't have any sugars. So in order to get the energy out of beef takes a long time.
Who said that high school biology wouldn't come in handy. :)
Glucose is in fact what carbohydrates and other sugars are broken down to by the body. Taking glucose directly bypasses that process and is good for a very quick boost, but it is over quickly as well.

Reactions: SirJoe
Gee, this thread is getting to be a biology class. I'm not really well versed with glucose and all I know is it is a kind of sugar. But anyway, the beef of this thread is the boiled beef that is fed to Manny Pacquiao during his training period. Especially the soup bone called "bulalo" which has the marrow, that's his favorite lunch. His trainer says that the soup is very nutritious and they firmly believe it is the beef soup that gives energy to Pacquiao.

Reactions: SirJoe
Gee, this thread is getting to be a biology class. I'm not really well versed with glucose and all I know is it is a kind of sugar. But anyway, the beef of this thread is the boiled beef that is fed to Manny Pacquiao during his training period. Especially the soup bone called "bulalo" which has the marrow, that's his favorite lunch. His trainer says that the soup is very nutritious and they firmly believe it is the beef soup that gives energy to Pacquiao.
Well it doesn't. That is not how things work.

I am not a vegetarian or anything else but I don't at all like the smell of beef. I don't know the exact cause but I have been disliking beef since I was a child. As I said, I am not a vegetarian but I don't refer beef as a energy food. I know it is a great source of energy but it is not for me.

Beef should always be part of one's diet, but it shouldn't be consumed everyday and in moderate quantities. Vegan's are completely deluded if they think that going without meat is good for them.

Most vegans I've met don't look healthy at all, they usually look shriveled up and weak by age 40, especially the men. Women can get by consuming less meat than man. But for men, meat is absolutely essential. The reason northern European and Russian men are so tall and physically strong are because they've been consuming meat for centuries. I guess the cold climate also played a part in encouraging meat eating.