Beef Ribs -- now what?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bob, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I've made baby back ribs a couple times this year, following
    Alton Brown's rub-braise-glaze-broil/grill technique. I
    recently got a big honkin' chunk of beef ribs, and I'm not
    quite sure what to do with it. It's one slab in a kind of
    trapezoid shape; it's about fifteen inches long, and a foot
    wide at the wide end, tapering to about eight inches at the
    narrow end.

    I generally favor sweet/hot flavor combinations for pork,
    but it seems that beef wouldn't lend itself to EXACTLY the
    same treatment.

    What are some of your favorite ways to prepare big
    beef ribs?

    Bob
     
    Tags:


  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I've made baby back ribs a couple times this year,
    > following Alton Brown's rub-braise-glaze-broil/grill
    > technique. I recently got a big honkin' chunk of beef
    > ribs, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It's one
    > slab in a kind of trapezoid shape; it's about fifteen
    > inches long, and a foot wide at the wide end, tapering to
    > about eight inches at the narrow end.
    >
    > I generally favor sweet/hot flavor combinations for pork,
    > but it seems that beef wouldn't lend itself to EXACTLY the
    > same treatment.
    >
    > What are some of your favorite ways to prepare big
    > beef ribs?
    >
    > Bob

    I haven't cooked beef ribs, but FWIW Texas style barbecue is
    usually beef with a sweet/hot/tomato sauce. So I know sweet
    & hot works with beef.

    Best regards, Bob (no relation)
     
  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I've made baby back ribs a couple times this year,
    >> following Alton Brown's rub-braise-glaze-broil/grill
    >> technique. I recently got a big honkin' chunk of beef
    >> ribs, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Bob
    >
    > I haven't cooked beef ribs, but FWIW Texas style barbecue
    > is usually beef with a sweet/hot/tomato sauce. So I know
    > sweet & hot works with beef.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob (no relation)

    Ribs, be they beef, pork, lamb, nearly always benefit from
    a good long hickory smoking and a nice rub of your
    favourite dry seasonings (with a little olive oil to help
    the blend stick). Sauce, IMO, should be at the table for
    those who choose.

    From the sound of this rack of ribs, he might need some help
    digging a pit
    :)

    Jill-Bob (no relation)
     
  4. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I've made baby back ribs a couple times this year,
    >> following Alton Brown's rub-braise-glaze-broil/grill
    >> technique. I recently got a big honkin' chunk of beef
    >> ribs, and I'm not quite sure what to do with
    >> it. It's one slab in a kind of trapezoid shape; it's
    >> about fifteen inches long, and a foot wide at the
    >> wide end, tapering to about eight inches at the
    >> narrow end.
    >>
    >> I generally favor sweet/hot flavor combinations for pork,
    >> but it seems that beef wouldn't lend itself to EXACTLY
    >> the same treatment.
    >>
    >> What are some of your favorite ways to prepare big
    >> beef ribs?
    >>
    >> Bob
    >
    > I haven't cooked beef ribs, but FWIW Texas style barbecue
    > is usually beef with a sweet/hot/tomato sauce. So I know
    > sweet & hot works with beef.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob (no relation)

    Try alt.food.bbq (I think that's it). From what I've
    read over there they know how to grill and BBQ with the
    best of 'em.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968
     
  5. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I've made baby back ribs a couple times this year,
    >>>following Alton Brown's rub-braise-glaze-broil/grill
    >>>technique. I recently got a big honkin' chunk of beef
    >>>ribs, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Bob
    >>
    >>I haven't cooked beef ribs, but FWIW Texas style barbecue
    >>is usually beef with a sweet/hot/tomato sauce. So I know
    >>sweet & hot works with beef.
    >>
    >>Best regards, Bob (no relation)
    >
    >
    > Ribs, be they beef, pork, lamb, nearly always benefit from
    > a good long hickory smoking and a nice rub of your
    > favourite dry seasonings (with a little olive oil to help
    > the blend stick). Sauce, IMO, should be at the table for
    > those who choose.
    >
    > From the sound of this rack of ribs, he might need some
    > help digging a pit
    > :)
    >
    > Jill-Bob (no relation)

    I should have said *served* with a sweet/hot/tomato sauce.
    Otherwise folks might get the idea they can just boil the
    ribs in ketchup and liquid smoke and call it "Texas Style".
    [it was difficult to even type that heresy]

    (Actually, some of the cheap bottled sauces aren't bad if
    used sparingly enough. But the meat should be good without
    any sauce.)

    -Bob
     
  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:58:58 -0000, Dog3 <[email protected];not>
    wrote:

    >Try alt.food.bbq (I think that's it). From what I've
    >read over there they know how to grill and BBQ with the
    >best of 'em.

    We in alt.food.barbecue boil 'em and make soup. Because
    that's all they're usually good for since all the meat has
    been hacked off of them by butchers with laser-guided
    cutting apparatus.

    If you can get ribs with meat on them, that's a
    different story.

    -sw
     
Loading...