been a long time since I bought tires..help..

fishboat

Jul 9, 2012
I was out of riding for a number of years and started up again a couple years back. I'm due for some new tires. I'm a bit heavier (and older) than years ago..currently run around 215-220 lbs.

The tires are for a road bike (Windsor Pro..bought it new in '80). I run a set of Matrix Titan heat treated rims, 700c. The tires I''m taking off are 700cx20mm clinchers.

I do recreational rides in the 25-50 mile range several times a week. Looking for a tire with (puncture) durability, good traction wet & dry, and a decent ride.

After doing some searching I've read good things about Continental Grand Prix 4 Season & Continental Gatorskins.

Will 23 or 25mm width fit my rims? Which one would be appropriate for me?

Any suggestions on good makes or size(width)?

one more thought..is there any advantage to mixing tires..one model on the front and a different make/model on the rear?

According to the specs, the outside width of those rims is 22mm, so they're on par with what's used today. You could use the 23mm or 25mm tires. I'd recommend the Conti GP 4 Seasons over the Gatorskins because they'll ride better and the difference in puncture resistance isn't that great. It's hard to beat the GP 4 Seasons for just about any road application short of crits, and even then using GP 4 Seasons likely won't cost you a race. Their only downside is their cost. You can find them cheaper in Europe or specifically in the UK. Check Total Cycling to see what they have in stock. I've used them quite a bit, and not only do they have stonking prices, they are dead reliable. You could also check out Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK and Slane Cycles, in Ireland. Right not Chain Reaction Cycles has the GP 4 Seasons at about $48, which is about $30 below their normal cost in the US. Their shipping is reasonable, and they're reliable, although not quite as quick as Total Cycling or Slane Cycling. Other good options would be Michelin Krylions (still available on the web even though they're no longer produced. Last year was their last year.), Michelin Pro Race 4 Endurance tires (the Krylion's replacement), and Maxxis Re-Fuse tires (the least expensive of the lot but very durable tires that have a decent ride and good grip). FYI, tire deals can also be found through eBay. Of course I'm talking about new tires.

Great info..just what I needed. Thanks for taking the time to post a response.

I'm seeing folding vs non folding versions of the 4 season..is one better than the other? Since the tires will be on the bike & I'm not planning any trips in the short term, folding doesn't offer an advantage.

fishboat said:
Great info..just what I needed.  Thanks for taking the time to post a response.  I'm seeing folding vs non folding versions of the 4 season..is one better than the other?  Since the tires will be on the bike & I'm not planning any trips in the short term, folding doesn't offer an advantage.  
Folding also doesn't offer any disadvantage, except for likely cheaper shipping. I can't see any advantage to non-folding tires.

The 4-Seasons are great tires. I've been riding a set over latex innies since last year over some pretty rough stuff without a flat. They roll pretty fast too..

I managed to find a couple hours between the raindrops and the temp warmed up a bit..road the new 4 season tires..very nice ride.

Thanks for the advice

(btw..picked them up off of amazon for $48/ea w/ free shipping)