been so long Im afraid i have forgotten how to ride a bike!

flyingdutch

Guest
Havent ridden since last Wednesday as I have been stuck at work , all
hours of day and night to finish a large project.

Even the concierge at the hotel Im sleeping at on Collins St is getting
in more riding than me!

--

Today I had my first ride into work after 2 weeks. I remembered how to
ride, but I think my fitness has to be brought up to scratch again. It's

--

jazmo wrote:
> Today I had my first ride into work after 2 weeks. I remembered how to
> ride, but I think my fitness has to be brought up to scratch again. It's
> amazing how quickly one's form goes down when one stops for a while.

Wuss.. !!!! Two weeks & your fitness has gone. Come now. If you have
been consistently riding and you stop for two weeks i would have thought
that you would be very zippy after resting the legs for a fortnight. How
far do you ride to work??

--

flyingdutch wrote:
> Havent ridden since last Wednesday as I have been stuck at work , all
> hours of day and night to finish a large project.
> Even the concierge at the hotel Im sleeping at on Collins St is getting
> in more riding than me!

Ooh la la...funny...

--

coowoowoo wrote:
> Wuss.. !!!! Two weeks & your fitness has gone. Come now. If you have
> been consistently riding and you stop for two weeks i would have thought
> that you would be very zippy after resting the legs for a fortnight. How
> far do you ride to work??

I didn't say gone, I said my form was down. Not as zippy sprinting up
the hills along the yarra blvd. I generally test myself and know what
speed I should be doing on some of the hills along the way to work if
I'm doing well. I could also feel my lungs burning earlier in the ride.
That's something that normally happens when I've been off the bike for a
while. Also, I got a slower time riding to work than usual.

It's interesting what you say about the legs feeling zippy. Early in
my ride yesterday I was feeling very good in the legs. I wasn't
feeling that lactate type burning in the legs but I found that I once
I got to the Yarra Blvd I couldn't go very hard. The legs just didn't
want to turn.

This morning, because of yesterday's riding, I was feeling a bit of pain
at the start and was going slower, but I was able to maintain a higher
speed throughout the ride and knocked off around 45 seconds off
yesterday's ride.

I really think that after two weeks one needs to get the system working
again and get rid of a few cobwebs before improving again.

It should only take a weeks riding to get back to normal though.

I generally ride 19 km into work and back of a morning. (38 km round
trip). Sometimes I extend the morning ride to 32 km by doing two laps of
the Yarra Blvd.

--

coowoowoo wrote:
> Ooh la la...funny...

light at the end of the tunnel!

Thus far this week i have worked: Sat 11am-11pm Sun 9am-11pm Mon 6am-1am
Tues 8am-9pm Wed 5am-1am Today 7am---now

Im a shadow at the mo but the job is nearly there. waiting for others
now and dreaming of riding again...

--

flyingdutch wrote:
> Havent ridden since last Wednesday as I have been stuck at work , all
> hours of day and night to finish a large project.
>
> Even the concierge at the hotel Im sleeping at on Collins St is getting
> in more riding than me!
>

> --

Here's some depressing stats for you to ponder while stuck at work and
not cycling, from Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible (freshly
arrived from amazon).

Changes resulting from 3 weeks of not training:
Aerobic capcity (VO2max) -8%
Blood pumped per beat -10%
Blood lactate during exercise +88%
Lactate threshold -7%
Tiem to fatigue (mins) -10%

Dave B.

Daveb wrote:
> flyingdutch wrote:
> > Havent ridden since last Wednesday as I have been stuck at work , all
> > hours of day and night to finish a large project.
> >
> > Even the concierge at the hotel Im sleeping at on Collins St is
> > getting in more riding than me!
> >

> > --
> >

> Here's some depressing stats for you to ponder while stuck at work and
> not cycling, from Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible (freshly
> arrived from amazon).
> Changes resulting from 3 weeks of not training: Aerobic capcity (VO2max)
> -8% Blood pumped per beat -10% Blood lactate during exercise +88%
> Lactate threshold -7% Tiem to fatigue (mins) -10%
> Dave B.

Very interesting. That's the sort of thing I suspected though I didn't
expect anything that dramatic.

Does it say anything about getting back to where you were once you're
back on the bike?

--

jazmo wrote:
> Daveb wrote:
> > flyingdutch wrote:
> > > Havent ridden since last Wednesday as I have been stuck at work , all
> > > hours of day and night to finish a large project.
> > >
> > > Even the concierge at the hotel Im sleeping at on Collins St is
> > > getting in more riding than me!
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > Here's some depressing stats for you to ponder while stuck at work and
> > not cycling, from Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible (freshly
> > arrived from amazon).
> > Changes resulting from 3 weeks of not training: Aerobic capcity (VO2max)
> > -8% Blood pumped per beat -10% Blood lactate during exercise +88%
> > Lactate threshold -7% Tiem to fatigue (mins) -10%
> > Dave B.

> Very interesting. That's the sort of thing I suspected though I didn't
> expect anything that dramatic.
>
> Does it say anything about getting back to where you were once you're
> back on the bike?
>

> --

It doesn't but I remember reading something a while back that said for
each week you are off injured you need double that to get back to where
you were. But that was only up to 4 weeks off. After that it was almost
like startign again.

Dave B

jazmo wrote:
> I didn't say gone, I said my form was down. Not as zippy sprinting up
> the hills along the yarra blvd. I generally test myself and know what
> speed I should be doing on some of the hills along the way to work if
> I'm doing well. I could also feel my lungs burning earlier in the ride.
> That's something that normally happens when I've been off the bike for a
> while. Also, I got a slower time riding to work than usual.
> It's interesting what you say about the legs feeling zippy. Early in
> my ride yesterday I was feeling very good in the legs. I wasn't
> feeling that lactate type burning in the legs but I found that I once
> I got to the Yarra Blvd I couldn't go very hard. The legs just didn't
> want to turn.
> This morning, because of yesterday's riding, I was feeling a bit of pain
> at the start and was going slower, but I was able to maintain a higher
> speed throughout the ride and knocked off around 45 seconds off
> yesterday's ride.
> I really think that after two weeks one needs to get the system working
> again and get rid of a few cobwebs before improving again.
> It should only take a weeks riding to get back to normal though.
> I generally ride 19 km into work and back of a morning. (38 km round
> trip). Sometimes I extend the morning ride to 32 km by doing two laps of
> the Yarra Blvd.

Right.. well you certainly ride a lot further than i do. My meagre 8 k's
to work seems quite pathetic in comparison. You must time yourself to
know that you shaved a whole 45 secs off your time. What ungodly hour do
you get up to be able to do two laps of the yarra path???

--

coowoowoo wrote:
> Right.. well you certainly ride a lot further than i do. My meagre 8 k's
> to work seems quite pathetic in comparison. You must time yourself to
> know that you shaved a whole 45 secs off your time. What ungodly hour do
> you get up to be able to do two laps of the yarra path???

I time myself every moring. I have a spreadsheet showing my times over
the past 18 months!!! There's been a definite improvement.

For my first ride 18 months ago I clocked 0:53:18

For my latest ride I clocked 0:38:39.

I normally leave home at 7:30 am. Work's pretty flexible in terms of
when I get there so I can do longer rides.

--

coowoowoo <[email protected]> wrote

> jazmo wrote:
>> Today I had my first ride into work after 2 weeks. It's
>> amazing how quickly one's form goes down when one stops for a

while.

> Wuss.. !!!!

Nah, I ride 28km to work (ie, 56 round trip) a few times a week (plus
weekend (not that that's lots, but I jog also on off days)), and
recently had about five weeks off due to a back injury. It's amazing
how the brain thinks it's still fit. The legs and lungs soon inform it
of its error, though, particularly when you try to stay on a wheel
and/or drop someone. You just have nothing. I cracked regularly in the
first fifteen kays in my first two weeks back, and had to limp the
last ten plus kays to work... shattering, it was. Felt terrible.

>Originally posted by flyingdutch Havent ridden since last Wednesday as
>I have been stuck at >work , all hours of day and night to finish a
>large project.

Oh great, not only has my cool subject line been used recently, I
find out that after 4 weeks off the bike, I'm back to square one!
Thanks guys! :p

hippy
- gets sore legs riding 1k downhill to the LBS..
- i think i'll be doing more corner marshalling than racing!