beer and cycling

davek

Guest
While researching German beers recently I discovered that the German
word for shandy is Radler. Radler also means cyclist, which got me to
wondering if there is an etymological link, so I asked a German friend
and it turns out there is. My friend also pointed me in the direction of
this website:
<URL:http://www.csulb.edu/~parayner/Radler.html>

Cheers!

d.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:31:52 +0000 (UTC), davek wrote:

> While researching German beers recently I discovered that the German
> word for shandy is Radler. Radler also means cyclist, which got me to
> wondering if there is an etymological link, so I asked a German friend
> and it turns out there is. My friend also pointed me in the direction of
> this website:
> <URL:http://www.csulb.edu/~parayner/Radler.html>
>
> Cheers!
>
> d.

As it says in the article 'Radler' is one German word for shandy, one that
tends to be used in southern Germany. In the North 'Alsterwasser' (or just
'Alster') is the more common usage. I'm sure I've seen cans which have
'Radler' on one side and 'Alsterwasser' on the other.

The article also suggests that the Gasthaus where Radler was invented is
high in the mountains. This isn't the case, it's just on the southern edge
of Munich.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> While researching German beers recently I discovered that the German
> word for shandy is Radler. Radler also means cyclist, which got me to
> wondering if there is an etymological link, so I asked a German friend
> and it turns out there is. My friend also pointed me in the direction of
> this website:
> <URL:http://www.csulb.edu/~parayner/Radler.html>

I used to drink it on holiday during the day if I was shopping as it didn't
make you sleepy in the afternoon. You can buy it at Aldi or LidI in cans I
seem to remember.

--I
Simon M.

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > While researching German beers recently I discovered that the German
> > word for shandy is Radler. Radler also means cyclist, which got me to
> > wondering if there is an etymological link, so I asked a German friend
> > and it turns out there is. My friend also pointed me in the direction of
> > this website:
> > <URL:http://www.csulb.edu/~parayner/Radler.html>

> I used to drink it on holiday during the day if I was shopping as it didn't
> make you sleepy in the afternoon. You can buy it at Aldi or LidI in cans I
> seem to remember.

Out of interest does anyone sell a UK version? all the packaged shandy
I have seen is basically non-alcoholic, although 2.2% beer attracts
virtually no duty (88p for 4 in Tesco's) but is horrid. Apart from the
rip-off pub version nothing hits the spot when out on the bike.