Beer Bread

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sf, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. sf

    sf Guest

    Very, very easy and the flavor ultimately depends on which beer you
    choose. One beer makes it taste like cheese bread, so experiment
    away!

    Beer Bread

    3 cups self-rising flour*
    2 tbsp. sugar
    12 oz. beer (room temperature)
    7T melted, unsalted butter

    Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine flour, sugar and beer in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.

    Pour into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Spoon 4T melted butter evenly over the
    top. Bake 20 minutes.

    Brush the top with remaining butter. Continue baking until the top is
    golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean
    (about 25 minutes more).

    Make self rising flour?

    http://www.ochef.com/354.htm
    Mix a teaspoon or a teaspoon and a half of baking powder with each
    scant a cup of flour, and add as much as a teaspoon of salt.

    http://baking.about.com/library/howto/htselfri.htm
    Here's How:

    1. In a large mixing bowl, measure 6 cups of flour.
    2. Add 3 tablespoons baking powder.
    3. Add 1 tablespoon salt.
    4. Either sift together or mix with a wire whisk until well
    combined.
    5. Can be stored in airtight container for months.

    Tips:

    1. Measure self-rising flour like regular flour.
    2. Keep all dry goods in airtight containers to avoid moisture and
    infestation.

  2. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Very, very easy and the flavor ultimately depends on which beer you
    > choose. One beer makes it taste like cheese bread, so experiment
    > away!

    Which one? That sounds like a pretty desirable outcome!

    Bob M.

  3. Jude

    Jude Guest

    sf wrote:
    > Very, very easy and the flavor ultimately depends on which beer you
    > choose. One beer makes it taste like cheese bread, so experiment
    > away!
    >
    > Beer Bread

    I've been using this recipe for 3 or 4 month now, first got it here -
    was it from you, sf? If so, thank you thank you thank you! It's real
    popular around our house, especially on soup-salad nights. I don't like
    beer, but I really like the bread!

    My favorite beer in this so far is Killians. We've tried guiness, sam
    adams, and some other stuff tyhat I don't remember, but killians gives
    it a nice rich flavor without being too yeasty/beery, as guiness was.

    We LOVE a slice of this for breakfast, toasted, with orange marmalade.

    My only other modification is that i've successfully reduced the butter
    to as little as 4 T, to cut down the fat, but then you don';t get as
    crispy and yummy a crust. But it stilll crusts up when toasted.

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:36:04 GMT, Bob Myers wrote:

    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > > Very, very easy and the flavor ultimately depends on which beer you
    > > choose. One beer makes it taste like cheese bread, so experiment
    > > away!

    > Which one? That sounds like a pretty desirable outcome!

    I think it's Henry Weinhardt - haven't made beer bread in a while,
    should do it soon though - the thought is making me hungry. Well, any
    food thought makes me hungry right now. :)

  5. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > sf wrote:
    >> Very, very easy and the flavor ultimately depends on which beer you
    >> choose. One beer makes it taste like cheese bread, so experiment
    >> away!
    >>
    >> Beer Bread

    > I've been using this recipe for 3 or 4 month now, first got it here -
    > was it from you, sf? If so, thank you thank you thank you! It's real
    > popular around our house, especially on soup-salad nights. I don't like
    > beer, but I really like the bread!
    >
    > My favorite beer in this so far is Killians. We've tried guiness, sam
    > adams, and some other stuff tyhat I don't remember, but killians gives
    > it a nice rich flavor without being too yeasty/beery, as guiness was.
    >
    > We LOVE a slice of this for breakfast, toasted, with orange marmalade.
    >
    > My only other modification is that i've successfully reduced the butter
    > to as little as 4 T, to cut down the fat, but then you don';t get as
    > crispy and yummy a crust. But it stilll crusts up when toasted.
    >==========

    Our personal favorites are:

    Pabst Blue Ribbon
    Lemon Hooch
    Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

    Note: You can make a great Beer Bread without the butter if you're wanting
    to save a few calories. It works perfectly.
    --
    Syssi

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On 4 Apr 2006 13:05:11 -0700, Jude wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > > Very, very easy and the flavor ultimately depends on which beer you
    > > choose. One beer makes it taste like cheese bread, so experiment
    > > away!
    > >
    > > Beer Bread

    > I've been using this recipe for 3 or 4 month now, first got it here -
    > was it from you, sf? If so, thank you thank you thank you! It's real
    > popular around our house, especially on soup-salad nights. I don't like
    > beer, but I really like the bread!

    It probably wasn't from me, because I haven't posted it in years. As
    far as I can tell, most beer bread recipes are almost alike. Maybe
    the amount of butter changes a little, that's about it.

    > My favorite beer in this so far is Killians. We've tried guiness, sam
    > adams, and some other stuff tyhat I don't remember, but killians gives
    > it a nice rich flavor without being too yeasty/beery, as guiness was.

    I haven't tried it with really dark beer like guiness... I'll give
    that a try someday.

    > We LOVE a slice of this for breakfast, toasted, with orange marmalade.

    I made this for a church (catholic) bake sale once and was surprised
    to see how fast they sold!

    > My only other modification is that i've successfully reduced the butter
    > to as little as 4 T, to cut down the fat, but then you don';t get as
    > crispy and yummy a crust. But it stilll crusts up when toasted.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 4 Apr 2006 13:05:11 -0700, Jude wrote:

    > > We LOVE a slice of this for breakfast, toasted, with orange marmalade.
    > >

    > I made this for a church (catholic) bake sale once and was surprised
    > to see how fast they sold!

    Why were you surprised? I think people always like fresh bread,
    whatever kind it is, whether or not they may be familiar with it.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  8. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4 Apr 2006 13:05:11 -0700, Jude wrote:

    >> > We LOVE a slice of this for breakfast, toasted, with orange marmalade.
    >> >

    >> I made this for a church (catholic) bake sale once and was surprised
    >> to see how fast they sold!

    > Why were you surprised? I think people always like fresh bread,
    > whatever kind it is, whether or not they may be familiar with it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee

    ============

    I once sold Beer Bread kits at a Winter Arts & Crafts fair. <snort> Yeah, I
    felt bad fleecing people but... well... you know! LOL I at least did it
    creatively...

    I used my Sealer to make the 'kits'. One would make an Original flavor and
    the other would be Italian flavored (basil, oregano, thyme, and garlic).
    Each were enclosed in a holiday decorated tube so that it could be used as a
    gift (See, I wasn't totally fleecing them...). To 'help' in sales (sold out
    in less than 2 hours the first day) I brought in samples... yeah baby,
    that's the ticket to food sales!... I did the same thing with my Brownie
    Mix in a Jar... Boom! Instant sales!

    As far as Jude being surprised at the Catholic sale... I know what you
    mean... I've been known to bring Damsel's Mahogany Wings (contains Sake) to
    church functions along with White Wine Gravy for Thanksgiving dinners at
    church. There always seems to be a slight feeling of doing something taboo
    when a dish contains something with alcohol in it... <scratching head>. I
    always put a "contains alcohol" note on them just in case someone needs to
    avoid alcohol (whether it be the proof or the flavor).
    --
    Syssi

  9. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 17:32:14 GMT, "Syssi" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I once sold Beer Bread kits at a Winter Arts & Crafts fair. <snort> Yeah, I
    >felt bad fleecing people but... well... you know! LOL I at least did it
    >creatively...

    That's a great idea! I gave beer bread mix as Christmas presents one
    year when I was broke.

    Tara