Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

64Paramount

Jul 25, 2009
Alienator had posted a pic and a comment about this movie a few days ago and it piqued my interest, so I watched it for the first time today.

Just getting to see the lovely Miss Tomei semi-nude makes the movie worthwhile to watch and as an added bonus; the movie is very intense and well played by all the actors.

Watch it sometime if you haven't seen it, you won't be bored....

Originally Posted by davereo .

Is this movie streamed on any of the popular providers?
Netflix streams it.

Unfortunately there is some disturbing content coupled with Marisa Tomei's nudity, and that content involves her getting her comeuppance doggy-style form a naked Phillip Seymour. No one should have to see him naked. It is an excellent movie, albeit not exactly a feel-good movie.

Just try to stay focused on Marissa during that first scene and bleach your eyes as needed after seeing Phillip Seymour's naked ****. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

Just try to stay focused on Marissa during that first scene and bleach your eyes as needed after seeing Phillip Seymour's naked ****. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif
Just say to yourself, "It's only a movie. It's not real."

A helluva good story, though. Not one sympathetic or heroic character in the entire plot.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Just say to yourself, "It's only a movie. It's not real."

A helluva good story, though. Not one sympathetic or heroic character in the entire plot.
I had a lot of sympathy for Mme. Tomei. As for the others, you're right, although in the end I think Ethan Hawke's character gains back a little sympathy when he runs away from Hoffman. Did I mention Marisa Tomei?

Although there weren't any nude scenes, she did a great job in "My Cousin Vinny" too.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I had a lot of sympathy for Mme. Tomei. As for the others, you're right, although in the end I think Ethan Hawke's character gains back a little sympathy when he runs away from Hoffman. Did I mention Marisa Tomei?
I think you did. She has a very nice butt.

Boffing her husband's alcoholic brother out of boredom? Actually, I related to this guy and his despair a little bit.

I think you did. She has a very nice butt.

Boffing her husband's alcoholic brother out of boredom? Actually, I related to this guy and his despair a little bit.
I hope you mean Ethan Hawke's, not Hoffman's character. Hoffman's character was a pretty evil, self-centered SOB. I think most people could sympathize with Hawke's character. At the same time, I was jealous of his character since he got to bed down with Marisa Tomei's character.

Yeah, Ethan Hawkes'.

I'm married and the father of a teen-age daughter, so my fantasies about movie stars are rated PG. Dancing with Marisa Tomei would be very nice.

Marisa Tomei danced very nicely in The Guru.

Yeah, Ethan Hawkes'.

I'm married and the father of a teen-age daughter, so my fantasies about movie stars are rated PG. Dancing with Marisa Tomei would be very nice.

Marisa Tomei danced very nicely in The Guru.
I had loads of respect for you right up until you mentioned "The Guru." Mlle. Tomei does have mega talent. I'd like to think she's as nice and as genuine as she appears.

I also am married and have a 14 y.o. daughter. I make sure not to discuss my fantasies with my daughter. That would be way too creepy. Whenever I get the chance, though, I do my best to encourage to have scientific fantasies or rather flights of fancy. She's spent quite a few hours with me in the lab. When she was 8, she did a dramatic reading of Bark, George my research group. With her science indoctrination, her intelligence, and possibly partially the result of having me as her dad, she's developing a seriously twisted sense of humor. Thank the gods for that.

Even very intelligent people need a few cheap laughs, and I'm a sucker for Bollywood-style song-and-dance numbers. I'm also a sucker for stories about people who feel compelled to hide their true identities.

Even very intelligent people need a few cheap laughs, and I'm a sucker for Bollywood-style song-and-dance numbers. I'm also a sucker for stories about people who feel compelled to hide their true identities.
I get that. I just thought that "So I Married an Axe Murder", "Wayne's World", and "Austin Powers" were way better Mike Meyers efforts. My go-to comedy, when in doubt, is one of two: "Dodgeball" or "Bowfinger."