Begginner thinking about bike

ducridah

Mar 1, 2004
Hey,
I was interested in purchasing my first track bike. I am considering entry level bikes like the Bianchi Pista or KHS Flite 100. Otherwise I was considering getting a used frame and all the components separately. One frame I saw for sale was an Orbea Pista with a carbon fork slightly used. Since I am just beginning, I doubt I will be doing any racing very soon. Thus, I don't know if a couple pounds of weight savings will make that much difference. I am more interested in getting quality parts that are not going to break on me. I would appreciate any advice on what I should buy. I would like to keep it under 600-700 dollars, but would be willing to get some used parts as long as they will last. Thanx

I bought a $500AUD full Reynolds 531 steel frame with 2 sets of wheels (1 singles, 1 clinchers), some gears and some tools.

Most important: Make sure the bike fits you!
Also make sure (if buying used) that the bike doesn't have tubing damage from a crash. Ride it to see if it handles strange (pulls to the side, etc). Push hard and see if it flexes anywhere, check for loose parts, check to see how well it was cared for - is it clean, well lubed, chain tensioned properly?

Ask lots of questions and if you have an expert who can help you out - bring them along with you.

hth

have had a second hand KHS flite 100 for a couple of months now and love it. It has that crazy sloping top tube which feels a bit strange initially but after a while you just feel like jumping onto the drops all the time and hammering it.
I found mine for $650AUD and there seems to be quite a few around.

Puting gear onto a frame usually costs heaps in the end. Second hand track bikes are usually the way to go. Stiff is good, light may not be, depends on what you ride like. cannot go wrong with 531 :D but check out this little baby, 7005 alloy frame with average to crappy gear for under $600US brand new, frame is great (I own 2) and it is easy to upgrade gear 1 piece at a time
http://www.avanti.co.nz/bikes_detail.asp?id=154&t=10

To be honest, unless you're racing at close to top level, the bike won't make a great deal of difference. Just go for something which feels comfortable to you (and works, obviously).