Beginner advice...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dst_uk, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Dst_uk

    Dst_uk Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good. I
    have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the following,
    particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last years models, hence
    their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I suppose, to get DH, I'll have
    to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I won't be able to get a bike in this
    range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

    giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott
    fx2 scott fx3

    TIA, DSt.

    Tags:

  2. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    "DSt_UK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good. I
    > have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the following,
    > particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last years models,
    > hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I suppose, to get DH,
    > I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I won't be able to get a
    > bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    >
    > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > scott fx3
    >
    > TIA, DSt.

    I spent about that much on my Specialized Rockhopper about 3 years ago, but I think you can still
    get one for about the same money. It has been great value for money.

    I think the most important thing is to get a good frame - you will eventually have to replace all
    the other bits as they wear out anyway, so you can upgrade along the way if need be. The frame,
    forks, handlebars, bottom bracket and seatpost are all that is original on my bike now, and the BB
    and forks are probably about due for a coat of looking at.

    I have bought Giants for both my daughters recently, they seem well specced for the price, but the
    frames don't look as strong as my Rockhopper.

    Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    DSt_UK wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good. I
    > have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the following,
    > particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last years models,
    > hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I suppose, to get DH,
    > I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I won't be able to get a
    > bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    >
    > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > scott fx3

    From that list, I'd go with the Caldera.

  4. "DSt_UK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good. I
    > have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the following,
    > particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last years models,
    > hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I suppose, to get DH,
    > I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I won't be able to get a
    > bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    >
    > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > scott fx3
    >
    > TIA, DSt.

    Have a look at Merlins (Lancashire bike shop - not the high end Ti frame manufacturer...) own bikes
    and the rock lobster ones they also sell. They work out a good deal and you can change one or two
    bits you don't fancy.

    Oh and you're right - stay clear of full sus bikes in this price range.

    Steve E.

  5. User0

    User0 Guest

    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out Merlin's before I make a choice.

    Cheers, DSt.

  6. User0

    User0 Guest

    I had a look at the Malt 2. Impressive for the price. Thanks for the link.

  7. <user0> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I had a look at the Malt 2. Impressive for the price. Thanks for the link.

    No problem. I've had good customer service from them in the past so may as well give them a little
    plug from time to time.

  8. Dst_uk

    Dst_uk Guest

    "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <user0> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I had a look at the Malt 2. Impressive for the price. Thanks for the link.
    > >

    > No problem. I've had good customer service from them in the past so may as well give them a
    > little plug from time to time.

    Having read outstanding reviews, and seeing it's won several awards, I ordered a malt 1 yesterday,
    with an upgrade to marzocchi forks, and hydro discs, total price £580. For that, I think I'm getting
    a very well-specced bike. Thanks again for the link. I spoke to their shop - very helpful and very
    friendly. The only pi$$er is, I have to wait 3-4 weeks for the build - but this horror is lessened
    by the fact I go to Amsterdam on Sunday.

    I'll let you guys know what I think when I get a chance to RIDE it.

    user0

    spademan - maybe you should talk to Merlin about commission? ;)

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    DSt_UK <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <user0> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > I had a look at the Malt 2. Impressive for the price. Thanks for the link.
    > > >

    > > No problem. I've had good customer service from them in the past so may
    as
    > > well give them a little plug from time to time.
    >
    > Having read outstanding reviews, and seeing it's won several awards, I ordered a malt 1 yesterday,
    > with an upgrade to marzocchi forks,

    Which model?

    > and hydro discs, total price £580.

    Which ones?

    > For that, I think I'm getting a very well-specced bike.

    Sure - sounds like you did great - hope you enjoy it muchly!

    > Thanks again for the link. I spoke to their shop - very helpful and very friendly. The only pi$$er
    > is, I have to wait 3-4 weeks for the build - but this horror is lessened by the fact I go to
    > Amsterdam on Sunday.
    >
    > I'll let you guys know what I think when I get a chance to RIDE it.

    You'll have no memory of ordering it until you get the bill, by the time you've been to Amsterdam,
    heheheheh.......

    Shaun aRe

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (DSt_UK) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good. I
    > have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the following,
    > particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last years models,
    > hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I suppose, to get DH,
    > I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I won't be able to get a
    > bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    >
    > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > scott fx3
    >
    > TIA, DSt.

    "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will you
    complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no experience."

    JD

  11. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    > [email protected] (DSt_UK) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good.
    > > I have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the
    > > following, particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last
    > > years models, hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I
    > > suppose, to get DH, I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I
    > > won't be able to get a bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would
    > > be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > > scott fx3
    > >
    > > TIA, DSt.
    >
    > "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will
    > you complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no
    > experience."
    >
    > JD

    Is it your American inferiority complex which makes you belittle people who are just asking for a
    bit of advice? Or are you just a nasty bully?

    Its a good job there aren't many like you or nobody would dare post any requests for information.

    A public apology to the original poster would save you from my killfilter list, but I'm not holding
    my breath.

    Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    JD wrote:

    > "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will
    > you complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no
    > experience."

    Even by your standards, you're in an arsey mood today.

  13. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    > [email protected] (DSt_UK) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any good.
    > > I have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the
    > > following, particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last
    > > years models, hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I
    > > suppose, to get DH, I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I
    > > won't be able to get a bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts would
    > > be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > > scott fx3
    > >
    > > TIA, DSt.
    >
    > "Hi, I'm a moron

    I think the group is seeing that more clearly now.....

    > who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will you complete
    > strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no experience."
    >
    > JD

    Yeah, how pathetic is it to think someone could go to a "discussion" group and ask advice on
    mountain bikes, especially considering it is a mountain bike discussion group? If only people were
    as astute and knowledgable as Jerry Daniels.......

  14. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will
    > you complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no
    > experience."
    >
    > JD

    Yeah, we already know.

  15. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (DSt_UK) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any
    > > > good. I have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the
    > > > following, particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last
    > > > years models, hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I
    > > > suppose, to get DH, I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I
    > > > won't be able to get a bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts
    > > > would be much appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > > > scott fx3
    > > >
    > > > TIA, DSt.
    > >
    > > "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will
    > > you complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no
    > > experience."
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Is it your American inferiority complex which makes you belittle people who are just asking for a
    > bit of advice?

    Is it your British superiority complex that causes you to respond in such an assinine fashion?

    > Or are you just a nasty bully?

    Or do you not grasp the meaning of the word "alt."?

    > Its a good job there aren't many like you or nobody would dare post any requests for information.

    Or maybe some folk should grow a thicker skin.

    It's two-for-one day here at a.m-b, so why don't you just killfilte me, too?

    > Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

    This supposes that you use the one you were born with.

    Get over yourself.

    Spider

  16. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 26 Jun 2003 20:26:59 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

    >"Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> Is it your American inferiority complex which makes you belittle people who are just asking for a
    >> bit of advice?

    Here we go.....

    >Is it your British superiority complex that causes you to respond in such an assinine fashion?
    >
    >> Or are you just a nasty bully?
    >
    >Or do you not grasp the meaning of the word "alt."?

    What's that got to do with JD's reply....it was assinine, as it usually is, alt, or not.

    >> Its a good job there aren't many like you or nobody would dare post any requests for information.
    >
    >Or maybe some folk should grow a thicker skin.

    >> A public apology to the original poster would save you from my killfilter list, but I'm not
    >> holding my breath.
    >
    >It's two-for-one day here at a.m-b, so why don't you just killfilte me, too?

    This is the wisest thing you've ever put to text.

    >> Twohat (because two heads are better than one)
    >
    >This supposes that you use the one you were born with.
    >
    >Get over yourself.
    >
    >Spider

    BWWAAAHHHHHAAAA, your a piece of work Spider.

    Dave (follow your own advice arachnid!)

  17. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 26 Jun 2003 20:26:59 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
    >
    > >"Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > >> Is it your American inferiority complex which makes you belittle people who are just asking for
    > >> a bit of advice?
    >
    > Here we go.....

    Get off my leg, DogPoop. I guess I'll have to smack you down again.

    Bad dog - go lay down.

    Spider

  18. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (DSt_UK) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I'm currently trying to buy a bike. I don't know much about which makes and models are any
    > > > good. I have up to £600 GBP to spend, and in my price range I have been advised to look at the
    > > > following, particularly the Giant XTC 860 and the Kona Cindercone. These are all AFAIK last
    > > > years models, hence their lower than usual price. I'm looking to do a mix of DH/XC, and I
    > > > suppose, to get DH, I'll have to get UH first! I've been advised against full suspension, as I
    > > > won't be able to get a bike in this range that won't bob all over the place. Any thoughts
    > > > would be much appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > giant xtc860 kona cindercone kona caldera giant nrs950 kona kahuna scott gzero fx3 scott fx2
    > > > scott fx3
    > > >
    > > > TIA, DSt.
    > >
    > > "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life. Will
    > > you complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no
    > > experience."
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Is it your American inferiority complex which makes you belittle people who are just asking for a
    > bit of advice?

    It's my American inferiority complex.

    > Or are you just a nasty bully?

    That too.

    > Its a good job there aren't many like you or nobody would dare post any requests for information.

    Yeah, it's a good job.

    > A public apology to the original poster would save you from my killfilter list, but I'm not
    > holding my breath.

    Oh, but you should hold your breath because your virtual halitosis isstinking up the place. Now
    kindly piss off you PC thug.

    > Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

    Learn to use at least one of them.

    JD

  19. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 09:03:41 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

    >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 26 Jun 2003 20:26:59 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:<[email protected]>...

    >> Here we go.....
    >
    >Get off my leg, DogPoop. I guess I'll have to smack you down again.

    You couldn't, and haven't smacked anything you ol' crusty wanna be....

    cept maybe your chin on my nuts!

    >Bad dog - go lay down.
    >
    >Spider

    SQUISH THE BUG!

  20. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > [email protected] (DSt_UK) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    in
    all
    be

    > > > "Hi, I'm a moron who can't ask anyone I know personally about anything in my pathetic life.
    > > > Will you complete strangers tell me what bike to purchase? It doesn't matter if you have no
    > > > experience."
    > > >
    > > > JD
    > >
    > > Is it your American inferiority complex which makes you belittle people
    who
    > > are just asking for a bit of advice?
    >
    > Is it your British superiority complex that causes you to respond in such an assinine fashion?
    >
    > > Or are you just a nasty bully?
    >
    > Or do you not grasp the meaning of the word "alt."?
    >
    > > Its a good job there aren't many like you or nobody would dare post any requests for
    > > information.
    >
    > Or maybe some folk should grow a thicker skin.
    >
    > > A public apology to the original poster would save you from my
    killfilter
    > > list, but I'm not holding my breath.
    >
    > It's two-for-one day here at a.m-b, so why don't you just killfilte me, too?
    >
    > > Twohat (because two heads are better than one)
    >
    > This supposes that you use the one you were born with.
    >
    > Get over yourself.
    >
    > Spider

    I'm sorry, I forgot that irony doesn't cross the Atlantic . . .

    I wonder if it has anything to do with the TV shows they are brought up on? You know, the ones where
    the live audience are told when to laugh, so that the Homer's watching TV realise there is a joke?

    For Spider and others who don't get it, my reference to "your American inferiority complex " was
    irony. Look it up if it causes you a problem.

    Apologies to those Americans who understood it. No offence intended.

    No apology to Spider. Don't bother replying, you are already blocked.

    Twohat (because people who don't understand might be offended if I just said Twat)