Beginner Australian Road Biker

senator52

Mar 25, 2006
I have been looking for the best road bike under about $1500. The Specialized Allez and Giant OCR3 or even OCR2 at a good price have been my main focus of attention. Have I been looking at the right bikes for value for money under $1500. Any extra room under the bracket would help, given I am intending on buying the shoes and a cycling computer. Any advice on the value of these bikes or a better alternative would be very appreciated, thankyou.

You should be able to get the OCR 1 for slightly over $1500. If you like the compact frame it's a good bike.

Where do you live?

I live in Perth, was hoping that the $1500 would also be able to get me shoes and pedals tho.:eek:

senator52 said:
I live in Perth, was hoping that the $1500 would also be able to get me shoes and pedals tho.:eek:

The OCR-1 comes with pedals, but add shoes on top of that and you'd probably be looking at $1700 with shoes as well. A bit above the budget you specified, but it's probably $200 worth spending.

You'd be getting a full 105 group set, and a lot of people seem to consider 105 to offer the best bang for buck these days.

I was looking around the $1500 price point a few months ago, but the bikes I was seeing for that price just didn't make sense. I don't think you'll regret it if you up your budget.

Are the pedals that come with the OCR1, Shimano? The Shimano shoes are probably a good entry shoes arent they? They seem to have a good reputation from what I have heard. And is the $1500 for an OCR1 the standard price or a sale price for last years model? Thanx

senator52 said:
Are the pedals that come with the OCR1, Shimano? The Shimano shoes are probably a good entry shoes arent they? They seem to have a good reputation from what I have heard. And is the $1500 for an OCR1 the standard price or a sale price for last years model? Thanx

They come with Shimano R540 SPD-SL pedals, which are 105 level. Yeah, the entry level Shimano shoes are pretty good.

I've seen the 2006 OCR 1 at a number of shops for $1600. Add about $100 for some shoes and you're looking at around $1700.