beginner, cycling, + gym?

ebola

Jul 22, 2003
I've taken up cycling to work ( 3 weeks now, 4 days on, rest day midweek ) - 9 miles one way. Thoroughly enjoying it (excercise with speed as incentive, why didn't I take this up earlier..). Obviously want to improve my ability.. I can sustain 20mph for portions of the journey, but a long way of '20mph avg'. Not really done any 'real' excercise like this before, 'power-walking' 1.5x45mins / day to old closer office was my previous limit.

I've read the thread elsewhere which suggests 5-6 days on, mostly easy/moderate rides with a couple of 'hard' rides a week, so this is what i'm doing now ....

The question is, having just joined a gym v. near to office too, am I going to confound or help my cycling efforts by starting to do weight training for legs ?
I've gained arm-strength via dumbells in past so am curious to try this, (but this was by ensuring I ached the next day..) . Can I do this on same days as my 'easy' rides.

.. Or is it a waste of time, given that I can ride at that speed already, so I'd only need to improve stamina ??
Am I going to risk joint injury / over-doing things ?
Should something like a cross-trainer be good to build fitness without having to ride hard hence saving joints.

An option I'm considering is setting off earlier, & dropping into the gym on the way in, = using the cycle in as a warm-up.

Disclaimer: I am very pro lifting weights.

As many will tell you, strength training does little to improve an *endurance* cyclist's performance -- proper bike training is most effective. I would classify what you are doing as endurance, or endurance-like, cycling. That said, I'm sure it's a good idea to strengthen your hamstrings and other lower body muscles for balance, etc. Squats and leg curls hit everything north of your knees. If you decide to squat, seek advice on form -- high reps, go thighs parallel to the floor, keep your back flat, head up, and abs tight at all times!

Sprinting/kilo/short time trialing may be a different story. Weight training is clearly useful, including upper body work (especially mid-section).

ebola:

Nice handle!!! If you are just concerned with overall health and fitness, do both. Lifting is good for people, especially once you start to age, which starts in the early-mid 30's for most people.

If you want to compete or ride hard recreationally, the weights may hurt your performance, which means weight training is best done in the winter months. Older riders may benefit from year-round weight training due to the inability to maintain muscle mass once hormone levels start to drop with time.

Do weights help with cycling performance??? Hard to tell, but generally for road riding it seems they don't. But, if you had weak tendons and ligaments, lifting in the winter will for sure strengthen these tissues and make them more bulletproof when you push hard in the spring and summer.

Try both and see what works the best for you. Maybe weights will help, maybe they won't. Be sure to log your workouts in a training diary so you can accurately analyze what you have done. Be specific about riding information as well as the weights (sets, pounds, reps, etc.)

Cycling is a sport where lots of experimentation is needed to find a program that is right for you.

Good luck!!!

ok thanks,

As i'm riding for recreation & fitness ( not competitively ) it will certainly do no harm then, and is all round a good idea anyway.(29 yrs old, 30s looming ..).
My first visit has left my legs aching a little during any use the next day (which i think was my goal), but not so much so that I couldn't ride back at a lesiurely pace.. I'll check with them that this isn't a problem, but it seems like the 2 activities will be compatible.