Beginner Cycling Trainer

unifyzero

Oct 7, 2010
I haven't cycled in years, but I've been looking for a way to get a decent work out in front of my TV and I came across bicycle trainers. I need a bike, accessories, and a trainer. I'd like to spend less than $500 total (although I realize this is probably an unrealistic number).

From what I've read I think that a magnetic trainer would be best for me. I'm open to fluid trainers but I like the idea of being able to control the resistance (so if I go with magnetic I'll also need a remote). Along with the trainer I'll also need a mat, and front wheel stand (preferably adjustable). I also need to know if trainers are universal to all bikes or do you have to ensure that your bike and trainer will work together.

Currently the Cycleops MAG+ is the trainer I'm most interested in (although I can be easily swayed). How is it for its price range (~$200)?

Basically, I'm looking for a trainer $200 or less that will last me a few years, isn't abnormally loud, and is easy to use (the pursuit of cheap perfection!).

Any tips, thoughts, or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time for any help.

It's worth the extra cash for a fluid trainer. You won't regret it.

A bike trainer is a domestic device that allows you to ride a bicycle indoors exclusive of truly moving. It is normally used by competitive cyclists for training or for usual cyclists who just don't wish for loses their fitness level over the winter months.
Before you advance any funds in an indoor bike trainer, you should identify the kind of resistance stages and training you as a cyclist necessitate.

The two kinds of internal bike trainers are below:
1. Roller trainers.
2. Mechanical resistance cycle trainers

i agree with the advice above. a fluid trainer, though slightly more than a mag is the way to go. the resistance is much more 'real'.

I have a CycleOps Fluid 2 and love it. There are no resistance levers as such, the resistance increase the quicker you pedal. Therefore to change the resistance you simply change gears. The fluid 2 is also very quite.

Here is my review of the CycleOps which may be useful:

http://www.bicyclecenturytraining.com/blog/cycleops-fluid-2-in-depth-review/

Front wheel stand - no need, i just use a brick.

Mat - Use towels or an old yoga mat (far cheaper than a specific turbo mat)

Hope this helps...

I use a mag trainer can adjust the resistance and I know it will never leak.

to the OP-

i currently have the cycleops mag trainer. although the unit provides enough resistance for all/most of my winter training, it is not quiet on my hardwood floor with a 1/2" mat. i can feel vibrations in the pedals and handle bars and this ends up vibrating nearby picture frames etc within my living room. the vibration is tolerable and i can ride with the tv on, but i probably have to double the volume.

the cycleops mag trainer will work with bikes that use quick release skewers, so you shouldnt have a problem there. fwiw, i dont have the remote control on my mag and i really dont think i need it. i use the hardest setting and shift my gears to increase resistance. it's not as road like as a fluid, but it will create the resistance you need.

that said, my number one Christmas request is a jet fluid pro from cycleops ($370...but you can find them for $300). the reviews indicate that it's much quieter than the mag trainer. if you're new to the sport the mag might be fine, especially if you have slab on grade construction.

anyway, it sounds like you dont have a bike yet. if that's the case, get the best bike you can, and try to find a used trainer to hold you over until spring. riding outdoors is much more rewarding. i might have a (noisy) mag for sale after December!

chuck