Beginner Cyclist, What Bike to Buy

Max Phillips

May 9, 2006
Alright, I'm just getting into cycling. I used to ride various forms of BMX alot, but this past year, my freshman year of college, I rode in Indiana University's Little 500, and that's got me hooked. I'm 6'3", 220 pounds, and really active. I'm planning on starting to race this summer in local Cat 5 events.

What kind of bike should I look for, sizes, components, etc. I started out totally sold on a Giant TCR Limited, but I ended up at another local bike shop and am leaning towards a 2006 Trek 5000. I originally didn't want to put more than 1400 into a bike (at the shop who sells Giant I could have traded in my bmx bike for store credit), but the Trek 5000 is at 1650, which is doable. It's the 2006 model, bright blue with TCT carbon compared to the OCLV 120 of the 2005.

Is the Trek 5000 a good bike? Also would a 58 cm be the size I should be looking for? When I sit on the bike with my hands on the hoods, I am looking down in a line to the bars and front hub. Lastly, if I do get the 5000, would it be too much to ask of the bike shop to swap out an Ultegra front derailleur instead of the stock 105 (the doubles come with 105, the triples come with Ultegra).

Thanks

Max

Also, if anyone knows of any southern Indiana shops having a big sale on a bike that would go well in my price range, let me know.

All I can say is that I just switched from a comfort bike to a road bike and went with the Trek 5000 and I love it. It took me a few rides for my back to realize we are going to do something different but once it did everything else fell in to place.

Shifting the front on the double does require a bit of a push but nothing serious.

I am changing out the brakes this week to a set of Ultegra brakes. The Cane Creek 3s that came on my 5000 don't impart confidence.

As for size I think a 58 might be a bit small for you, but you really need your inseam as opposed to total height measurement to know. I'm a 30" inseam (at 6') and got a 58. You might want to consider a 60.

I can't say much about the triple because, well, I live in Florida where it's flat.

58cm is the sizing for the average 6 foot tall person.

You probably need bigger.

220 pounds? Maybe super-high performance ultra-light steel?

If you go with an aluminum frame, do replace the whopping long stem with about a 90mm to reduce the leverage of your weight upon the fragile head tube, or a crack will happen directly above the head badge (brand name).
Ruffy Tuffy tires can also reduces the chances of head tube crackout.

Hey max just wondering whether you ended up buying the 5000 and everyone's opinion on it, i'm changing from mountain biking to road cycling & can't decide on a bike. I was thinking of the trek 2000 instead of the 5000 someone told me the frame was stronger & would last longer not sure though. The other bike i was looking at was the Giant, any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Max Phillips said:
Alright, I'm just getting into cycling. I used to ride various forms of BMX alot, but this past year, my freshman year of college, I rode in Indiana University's Little 500, and that's got me hooked. I'm 6'3", 220 pounds, and really active. I'm planning on starting to race this summer in local Cat 5 events.

What kind of bike should I look for, sizes, components, etc. I started out totally sold on a Giant TCR Limited, but I ended up at another local bike shop and am leaning towards a 2006 Trek 5000. I originally didn't want to put more than 1400 into a bike (at the shop who sells Giant I could have traded in my bmx bike for store credit), but the Trek 5000 is at 1650, which is doable. It's the 2006 model, bright blue with TCT carbon compared to the OCLV 120 of the 2005.

Is the Trek 5000 a good bike? Also would a 58 cm be the size I should be looking for? When I sit on the bike with my hands on the hoods, I am looking down in a line to the bars and front hub. Lastly, if I do get the 5000, would it be too much to ask of the bike shop to swap out an Ultegra front derailleur instead of the stock 105 (the doubles come with 105, the triples come with Ultegra).

Thanks

Max

Also, if anyone knows of any southern Indiana shops having a big sale on a bike that would go well in my price range, let me know.
Max,

I am about 6'3, 215lbs. I just bought a Cervelo Soloist Centaur. I am very happy with. I would suggest giving it a try.

Mike

Mike1970 said:
Max,

I am about 6'3, 215lbs. I just bought a Cervelo Soloist Centaur. I am very happy with. I would suggest giving it a try.

Mike
I think that bike will be a little small for you. I am 6'3" and 208lbs and ride a Klein 63cm and love it.