beginner cyclist with shoe & pedal question, will they fit?

Sean Olson

Feb 5, 2012
So i have a Trek 1.1 right now and am looking to get some cycling shoes then pedals that go with them. I found a pair of shoes, pictured below but have absolutely no clue to what pedals they would fit. So if anybody could help or point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!

So it's a Shimano shoe, with what certainly looks like a Shimano MTB cleat attached to it.
If you get a pair of shimano MTB pedals, those shoes would fit straight off.
If you buy the pedals new, you usually get a pair of cleats included. So if you stay with Shimano, you get a spare set. If you decide to opt for another brand, (Time, Crank Brothers, Wellgo...) you'd have to replace the cleats.
I've read about some sort of half-way compatibility between Wellgo and Shimano, where you can use the cleat of one in the pedals of the other, but not the other way around. But I can't remember if a Wellgo pedal can take a Shimano cleat or if it's the opposite.

Keep in mind that there's "road" shoes/pedals and "MTB" shoes/pedals. The dedicated road shoes/pedals use a bigger cleat. The shoes in the pic will only work with the smaller MTB-style cleat.

As long as you keep track of the big/small cleat issue, you can match any cleat to any shoe, no need for brand matching. Then you need to match the cleat to the pedal(here I recommend brand matching).