beginner cyclist

lloyd464

Sep 27, 2005
Hi all could some one please help me with some training advise.
I am completely new to cycling, i recently purchased a road bike to help me get fit for motorcycle racing.
The main problem that i have is not cardiovascular fitness as i am reasonably fit but it is with what i would call fatigue after about 5km of riding my quads get extremely sore when i get off the bike i even battle to walk they feel like jelly, could you give me some advise on how to overcome this the proper way.

I felt like that when I began riding years ago... Just ride through it; the more you're on your bike the more natural it will become and it will remain so for as long as you ride...

Riding through it is a good solution, but it may be that you are turning too few RPM's with your legs. If you are in too high of a gear, your quads have to take up the slack. If you have a cadence monitor, train by your rpm's and not speed at first, shoot for 85-90 rpm's and you'll find your legs don't have to work as hard, and you'll be able to ride longer and start to benefit from the cardiovascular workout rather than an anabolic leg workout. Just remember, your just starting this bike thing, if it feels like your legs are having to do to much, downshift and take it easier, speed and mileage come later.