Beginner Cyclist

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by speleojunky, Aug 6, 2007.

1. speleojunky

speleojunky New Member

Hi all,

I'm Sherrye, from New Jersey. I just started cycling and am riding a mountain bike I bought about 15 years ago that sat in my garage this whole time. I want to start road cycling, can't afford a new bike, so I had the seat raised to road cycling height and will eventually get new tires that are more suitable. In the mean time, the guy at the bike shop said my bike is in really good shape so there is no need to get a new one right now.

Anyway, I'm starting to just do some easy rides in my neighborhood and I'm doing really well, although I am still nervous about riding on busy streets, especially where cars are parked along the side, and I have to ride into traffic. My average speed is about 11 mph. I don't know what experienced road cyclisists pedal at.

Does anyone have any advice for me about riding in the busier streets so I can become more confident and feel more comfortable? Are there any web pages that have good advice for road cyclists riding in traffic?

Sherrye

Tags:

2. e0richt

e0richt New Member

well heres one
    http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

you might also pick up "the art of cycling" by robert hurst...

3. pistole

pistole New Member

- Hi Sherrye.

:)

4. e0richt

e0richt New Member

so what part of jersey are you in? if you are in the south jersey area there are club rides that you might be interested in...

5. speleojunky

speleojunky New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts. I'm in North/Central Jersey. South Jersey is kind of far for me.

Sherrye

6. Sparhawk

Sparhawk New Member

There are a couple web sites to check if you are planning a ride to try to find some less crowded roads.

If you aren't too far from it, the Paulinskill Valley Rail Trail is a nice ride (the Sussex Branch Line intersects with it too)... it isn't paved, but you aren't climbing hills or going over lots of rocks. And there are no cars. It's shared by joggers, bikers, and horses. Here is a link for it: http://www.bikekinetix.com/t_nj/nj_rail/paulinskill_rt.php#description

You can also check out another biker friendly map web site for road biking in NJ: http://www.njbikemap.com/

Hope it helps... enjoy riding!

7. brandenjs

brandenjs New Member

Hi Sherrye, I'm fairly new to road riding also. The only advise I can give you for busy streets is to wear the most visible clothing you can get. The farther away they can see you the better. I don't worry too much about average speeds right now. I ride at my pace and cadence that I'm comfortable with. Over time they will increase as strength and stamina increases. Your signature gives me the idea that you are a spelunker also. I've been known to frequent some caves myself...Jeff

8. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

Sherrye part of staying safe on the road is being seen by motorists. This means wearing bright colors (that's why cycle jerseys are so loud!), having reflectors for low light or night riding, perhaps even a safety vest. Many riders advise using flashing light emitting diode based front lights and tail lights even during the day. LED lights have long battery life so expense is minimized. These are of course essential for night riding.

Also use hand signals to let drivers know when you are making turns. If stopped at a light if you are continuing to go straight, look for drivers who are signaling for a right turn, catch their eye and use a little "sign language" so that they know what you are doing.

I also encourage you to visit the Commuting and Road Safety forum here on cycling forums.

9. e0richt

e0richt New Member

you might try this for some route information

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Tours-New-Jersey-Pleasures/dp/0881503681/ref=sr_1_2/104-7240209-2944755?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186492408&sr=8-2

I have an earlier version of this book and found it to be useful...

10. BornInZion

BornInZion New Member

Don't get upset if they honk at you: it means they see you! ;)