Beginner entering anyway?

Nishiki09

Aug 5, 2005
I read on an article online that said even if your a beginner with no chance of winning you should try entering some races to learn what their like and get some intense training. Do you guys agree or disagree? By the way I dont really care if I make myself look stupid getting dropped.:D

Nishiki09 said:
I read on an article online that said even if your a beginner with no chance of winning you should try entering some races to learn what their like and get some intense training. Do you guys agree or disagree? By the way I dont really care if I make myself look stupid getting dropped.:D

I'm in the same boat as you. If my work schedule works out okay, I'm going to do my first race in about eleven years in two weeks. I used to race junior. I always sucked horribly, especially in criteriums... Anyway, since it's Cat 5 (nothing against cat 5, but they all presumably have done less than 10 races based on their category) and all relative beginners too, we're all beginners. So don't worry about it. Just get out there and start racing. :)

I'm excited about the race in two weeks because there's a three mile time trial and two 26 (or there abouts) mile road races. Those are distances that I do almost daily during my commute to work and work out rides so I know I'm at least going to finish. ;-) I would just go out there and not only try and keep up, but pick out the strongest sprinters and stay with them. Stay toward the front of the pack so that if you lose any time, you won't be off left hanging. That's what I plan on doing.

Let us know how your first race goes. :)

The only race thats close to her and soon is a single class Criterium. So I can guarantee ill lose. Im just worried about the staying with the pack part. The race is on October 8th. If i enter ill try to get ahold of a camera and get some pictures. Theres a few races farther away that if I enjoy this one ill enter.

Sure you should enter, although you might not win you learn how to handle yourself in a pack and what a race feels like.

Nishiki09 said:
No time like the present. You want to learn to race bikes, then enter every race you can find. Remember my motto, "Never do intervals if a group ride is available, never do a group ride if there is a race".