Beginner Here w/ Awkward Question

NickBird

Dec 22, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I am super new to this stuff so you'll have to forgive me for this ridiculous question.

I've got a bike here at work (on an oil rig) with the most uncomfortable seat ever. I don't really know how to say this but... after about 30 minutes of riding my junk goes numb. It doesn't bother me too much but as a runner, I'm aware that small stuff like this over time can lead to big problems. So I guess my question is; is this normal at first? Like, do I have to toughen up and over time it gets better? Or is it something I need to figure out how to prevent. I've tried to buy padded shorts and it's helped a little.

I guess any suggestion regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: haleylx4
NickBird said:
Hello Everyone, I am super new to this stuff so you'll have to forgive me for this ridiculous question. I've got a bike here at work (on an oil rig) with the most uncomfortable seat ever. I don't really know how to say this but... after about 30 minutes of riding my junk goes numb. It doesn't bother me too much but as a runner, I'm aware that small stuff like this over time can lead to big problems. So I guess my question is; is this normal at first? Like, do I have to toughen up and over time it gets better? Or is it something I need to figure out how to prevent. I've tried to buy padded shorts and it's helped a little.
No, it's not normal. Saddle problems are usually indicative of a problem with saddle position/bike fit or of a saddle that just doesn't work with your body. For the first issue, you should go to a bike shop, tell them of your issue, and see if they can find a solution via bike fit or saddle position. If that doesn't work, it'll be time to start trying different saddles, and that comes with a little bad news: there is no reliable way to predict what saddle is going to work for you. Saddle fit is highly personal, so things like word of mouth, published reviews, and manufacturer claims (which should always be viewed skeptically anyway) may have no bearing on what will work for you. The only sure method is to try different saddles. Fortunately any bike shop worth having your money will either have a saddle test program or will allow you to buy a saddle and exchange it for another if the first saddle doesn't work for you. Note that saddle tests need to be more than just a ride around a parking lot. Riding the saddle for a few days is the lest you should do. Note that some saddles have cut-outs designed to "relieve pressure" on sensitive tissue or blood vessels. These may or may not work. Consider them and test them just as you would any other saddle.

I used to have this issue on a few of my bikes. The issue was largely corrected my fine tuning the seat position, wearing proper riding attire and loosing a few pounds. SInce then I have changed saddles and the numbness is more or less a thing of the past.

I do sometimes have the numb spells if I am carrying an unusually heavy backpack or ride in a fixed position for an extended period. Its good to stand up on the pedals once and a while.

I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've no access to a bike shop or sporting goods store for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I went through the same thing again this morning only a bit worse. Tomorrow I am going to mess with the saddle adjustments and maybe just try folding a towel over it to for a little more cushion.

Thanks again.

the saddle might be too thick for you, more padding isn't always the answer, and if its uncomfortable from the get go and not just after riding a bit where does it hurt? you can try tilting it at different angles to relieve that as well

Well yeah I'm sure you must have figured this out by now. There are special seats for this. Yeah the cut outs are the best for this. I like the gel seats. They make those with the cut out areas. I really like the gel for the cushion its really comfortable.

First thing to try is lower the front of the seat a bit and see if that helps.

Yes! Try with the height first and then the angle. I know it may sound ridiculous but I also know that there are certain padded bike shorts if you are a really sensitive type.