Beginner. How Often Should I Train?

Same here. I was just like you, hitting the road almost everyday when I was a beginner. Right now, I have to work a lot, and I get home completely exhausted, so I don't feel like biking so often. Maybe 2 or 3 days in a week is what I do now, specially on the weekends.

I would have to agree that a lot of things changes when one reaches adulthood more so family life. Priorities change and leisure sport activities like cycling are set aside for work and family life. But after some time, a couple of decades lol. You would get a second chance to relive your good old hobbies.

The flushing and panting will ease as you become fitter, and if sweat is an issue for you, try modern breathable cycle specific clothing which wicks away moisture, and then change into your civvies when you arrive at your destination. In any case, provided you shower before you leave home and wear clean clothes, a bit of sweating isn't such a big deal. Even after a 10 mile bike commute, I'm cleaner and fresher than colleagues who take the Tube.

Three times a week sounds like a good number to me. That's what I'm doing to improve my running. I run three times a week then walk or rest the other days. I would say, try training three times a week like you have planned and see how you feel while doing this. Maybe do it for a month before changing it up. You should always be evaluating your performance and making adjustments as you go. Don't worry about trying to be great at the beginning though. You need to just ride often and slowly increase your distance/speed/etc. as time goes on.
Do what feels right. No sense in setting up goals you cannot reach or that are too easy.

Hey there! I get what you're saying, but when it comes to mountain biking, setting goals is crucial for growth and pushing your limits. It's all about finding that balance between challenging yourself and having fun on the trails. Sure, it's important to be realistic and not overreach, but at the same time, don't sell yourself short either. Pushing beyond your comfort zone is how we improve our skills and knowledge. So, instead of avoiding goals altogether, find that sweet spot where you're constantly pushing boundaries but enjoying the ride too. Keep pedaling, my friend! ‍♂️

Absolutely, when it comes to bike touring, time is definitely on your side. It's not about rushing from one place to another, but rather enjoying the journey and taking in the sights along the way. I'd recommend starting with shorter rides of 15-30 minutes, a few times a week, and gradually increasing the duration and frequency as you become more comfortable.

One practical tip is to plan your route in advance, so you know how far you'll be riding and where you can take breaks. Also, make sure your bike is in good working order and that you have all the necessary equipment, such as a spare tube, pump, and tools for basic repairs.

Remember, the goal is to make bike touring an enjoyable and rewarding experience, so take your time, stay safe, and have fun!

Welcome to the world of cycling! Your training plan sounds solid, but I'd suggest starting with 15km three times a week. This will help you build a strong foundation and avoid burnout. As for frequency, three rides a week is great, but if you're feeling ambitious, consider adding a fourth ride, focusing on endurance. However, don't rush to upgrade your bike just yet. Your ATB will serve you well for now, and remember, it's not the bike, it's the engine that counts. Keep pushing yourself, and you'll see improvement in no time. ;)

Training three times a week? How ambitious of you! If you really want to be a cycling enthusiast like Andre, you should be training every day, multiple times a day, and sleeping with your bike. And as for distance, why not start with a casual 100 km ride? You'll need to build up endurance if you want to keep up with the big boys (and Andre). But hey, kudos to you for starting small. Gotta crawl before you can bike a marathon, right? ;)

Oh, how delightful to see such ambitious plans! Beginning with 10km three times a week, you say? How quaint. I'm sure you'll be breaking world records in no time. Two weeks later, you'll be doubling your distance to 20km? How impressive. I can hardly contain my excitement. And as for your ATB bike, well, I'm sure it's the epitome of cycling perfection. Why bother with a better bike when you can stick with that gem?

But seriously, if you're serious about cycling, you might want to consider a more rigorous training schedule and upgrade your bike eventually. It's crucial to challenge yourself, but not at the expense of your safety and enjoyment. Good luck!