Beginner Inquiry

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Guter Tag, I am new to recumbents and have 4 questions:
    1. Why are some of you riding old WWII German V2's?
    2. Do you need disk brakes or are calipers sufficient?
    3. Is there a lot of tiller effect?
    4. Is V2 unstable at slow speeds, say under mach 1? Dankt, Wernher

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:
    > Guter Tag, I am new to recumbents and have 4 questions:
    > 1. Why are some of you riding old WWII German V2's?
    > 2. Do you need disk brakes or are calipers sufficient?
    > 3. Is there a lot of tiller effect?
    > 4. Is V2 unstable at slow speeds, say under mach 1? Dankt, Wernher

    The V2 is a classic, like the Harley Davidson motorcycle. To ride one is to ride the finest
    rocket of it's time. There may be newer, faster

    them. I would definitely recommend a disk brake upgrade. Right now the only way to stop them is to
    slam them into the ground. This is a bit rough on the body so a way to stop them more gently would
    be highly desirable. A tiller is the only way to steer them so yes, there is a lot of tiller
    effect. Stability at high and low speeds is quite good most of the time. It's just when those damm
    Brits shoot a wing off or something that you start having problems. Regards, The Red (slightly
    burnt) Baron

  3. "David" skrev...

    > Stability at high and low speeds is quite good most of the time. It's just when those damm Brits
    > shoot a wing off or something that you start having problems.

    No, no that was the SWB-version - the V1. I hear they stopped making them because the steering was
    too complicated (and the Brits took potshots at them). The new improved LWB V2 you just point where
    you want to go and fire her up. And its great for hills, climbs 1500 m/sec at its best.

    I'd be a little vary of Wernhers comments though. He had stocks in the companies that made them.
    Thats the Third Reich Fahrradbau that later suffered a hostile takeover by Allied Forces (the
    wellknown mountainbikecompany) and it ended its days being put together by a local homebuilder
    called Uncle Sam over in the US.

    Regards Mikael

  4. The V2 is for beerguzzling teutonic wussies anyway. Do like me and get a Titan. Its light and rides
    great. US made. I got the one with the hydrogen warhead option. It _really_ blows the DF roadies
    away. (Well it melts them first but still.)

    Mikael

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > The V2 is for beerguzzling teutonic wussies anyway. Do like me and get a Titan. Its light and
    > rides great. US made. I got the one with the hydrogen warhead option. It _really_ blows the DF
    > roadies away. (Well it melts them first but still.)
    >
    > Mikael

    You blokes are all way ahead of me. The only "V" I remember was that not so good TV mini-series
    about lizard-ish space aliens invading the Earth. The most memorable thing about it was Kirstie
    Alley(sp?).

    rorschandt klatu mirata nikto

  6. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Tom Blum, You sent me the following private email. I do not understand why. Care to explain yourself
    in public?

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> To: "Al Kubeluis"
    <[email protected]> Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 6:24 PM Subject: Re: Beginner Inquiry

    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Guter Tag, I am new to recumbents and have 4 questions:
    > 1. Why are some of you riding old WWII German V2's?
    > 2. Do you need disk brakes or are calipers sufficient?
    > 3. Is there a lot of tiller effect?
    > 4. Is V2 unstable at slow speeds, say under mach 1? Dankt, Wernher

  7. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Judas Priest!! Thinned skinned aren't we. The message was sent off list because it was meant to
    be off list.

    The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and no body./content.

    Al, I haven't met you and now I'm really not in a hurry to.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  8. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > "Tom Blum" skrev...
    > > The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and
    no
    > > body./content.
    >
    > Yea, we much prefer pointless posts with a big fat body discussing Iraq, imperialism or anything
    > else remotely unconnected with recumbents.
    >
    > G.W. Bush, mrs.

    OT - Off Topic NBC - No Bent Content PPRUWR - Pointless Post Remotely Unconnected With Recumbents

    Mikael:

    May I add some of your pointless posts that are my favorites to the list? Specifically I'm now
    referring to any and all of your discussions concerning Citroens.

    In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive I must tell about a friend who had one
    that he left it parked in front of his house because it wouldn't run. He claimed it was a work of
    art, you know like some kind of metal sculpture. We were in the mid-deep southern city of Memphis at
    the time and the car was pretty freaky looking to some of the local folk. Then one night it just
    disappeared. Most people suspected a conspiracy of neighbors, but I suspected his wife. The entire
    incident was, as you say, remotely unconnected with recumbents and furthermore pointless in the
    context of this newsgroup, so I think it would qualify under the criteria you previously
    established.

    Skip

  9. "skip" skrev...
    > OT - Off Topic NBC - No Bent Content PPRUWR - Pointless Post Remotely Unconnected With Recumbents
    >
    > Mikael:
    >
    > May I add some of your pointless posts that are my favorites to the list? Specifically I'm now
    > referring to any and all of your discussions concerning Citroens.

    I'm not claiming that I never make pointless posts. I added quite a lot to a recent I-thread to
    prove the point of that thread being pointless from my point of view. And since everyone else gets
    cabin fever why shouldn't I? ;-)

    > In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive *snip*

    If you wanted that you should post to that thread. At any rate Dave Larrington was contemplating
    buying one to haul bents around in and was understandably worried about them going up in smoke.

    Live long and prosper! Mikael

  10. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Didn't the 2CV have seats that might be adaptable to a homebent build project? "Mikael Seierup"

    > "skip" skrev...
    > > OT - Off Topic NBC - No Bent Content PPRUWR - Pointless Post Remotely Unconnected With
    > > Recumbents
    > >
    > > Mikael:
    > >
    > > May I add some of your pointless posts that are my favorites to the
    list?
    > > Specifically I'm now referring to any and all of your discussions
    concerning
    > > Citroens.
    >
    > I'm not claiming that I never make pointless posts. I added quite a lot to a recent I-thread to
    > prove the point of that thread being pointless from my point of view. And since everyone else gets
    > cabin fever why shouldn't I? ;-)
    >
    > > In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive *snip*
    >
    > If you wanted that you should post to that thread. At any rate Dave Larrington was contemplating
    > buying one to haul bents around in and was understandably worried about them going up in smoke.
    >
    > Live long and prosper! Mikael

  11. Skip

    Skip Guest

    news:[email protected].. <snip>
    > > In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive *snip*
    >
    > If you wanted that you should post to that thread. At any rate Dave Larrington was contemplating
    > buying one to haul bents around in and was understandably worried about them going up in smoke.
    >
    > Live long and prosper! Mikael

    Sorry Mikael, but I didn't read those Citroen posts close enough to realize they weren't PPRUWR
    after all since Dave Larrington was thinking of one for his bents. My bad.

    That being the case then I think Dave should definitely consider the purchase a Citroen. It would be
    a good vehicle for him and his bents.

    Peace and Brotherhood Skip

  12. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and no body./content.
    >
    > Al, I haven't met you and now I'm really not in a hurry to.

    > Tom Blum

    Well, I've met you both, cycled and lunched with you, and used up all my breath trying to keep up
    with you. You are both fine fellows. 12 years old, but fine.

    C.C.

  13. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Carol, Thanks, Al

    "Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA87C7A5.4641B%[email protected]...

    > > The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and
    no
    > > body./content.
    > >
    > > Al, I haven't met you and now I'm really not in a hurry to.
    >
    > > Tom Blum
    >
    > Well, I've met you both, cycled and lunched with you, and used up all my breath trying to keep up
    > with you. You are both fine fellows. 12 years old, but fine.
    >
    > C.C.

  14. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Skip, If you push it a few parking spaces up and down the street AND take pictures of doing so it
    becomes Performance Art, and if you glue the stuff from under the back seat to the hood it can
    become Performance Art with Found Objects. Then, get a dog to pee on a tire and you have Performance
    Folk Art with Found Objects ;-) bill g

    skip wrote:

    > In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive I must tell about a friend who had
    > one that he left it parked in front of his house because it wouldn't run. He claimed it was a work
    > of art, you know like some kind of metal sculpture.

  15. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Skip, If you push it a few parking spaces up and down the street AND take pictures of doing so it
    > becomes Performance Art, and if you glue the stuff from under the back seat to the hood it can
    > become Performance Art with Found Objects. Then, get a dog to pee on a tire and you have
    > Performance Folk Art with Found Objects ;-) bill g

    Bill:

    This was in the late sixties and I don't think Performance Art was in vogue back then so I suppose
    all of this was ahead of our time. However, the Citroen not only could be pushed around, but it
    actually had a hydraulic system and could move itself up and down. It was a favorite stopping place
    for the neighborhood dogs. Lots of sniffing and peeing on those tires. We were doing it back then,
    we just didn't have a name for it.

    As far as the stuff under the back seat goes we never went there. I don't think I would want to do
    that in a French car.

    Skip

  16. You need a V-Million[1]:

    Pro: Excellent streamlining, can travel under water Con: Vulnerable to depth charges

    1 - if you haven't read "Cryptonomicon", my condolences...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  17. "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > However, the Citroen not only could be pushed around, but it actually had
    > hydraulic system and could move itself up and down. It was a favorite stopping place for the
    > neighborhood dogs. Lots of sniffing and peeing on those tires. We were doing it back then, we just
    > didn't have a name for
    it.

    > As far as the stuff under the back seat goes we never went there. I don't think I would want to do
    > that in a French car.
    >
    > Skip

    Yah, the Citroën was performance art all on its own. It's all my Dad would drive (saved his life
    once, at least). As a kid I used to love the little mushroom brake pedal, and the hydraulic
    suspension. He drove a '67 Henri Chapron hardtop (I think the first one brought to the West
    coast) until he died. Then my mom sold it for more than I could afford, otherwise I'd probably be
    driving it now.

    Michael

  18. Let me get this straight....YOU were sniffing and peeing on car tires? Have you considered
    relocating to Toronto, we have lots of cars up here for you to sniff and then pee on. We could work
    in tandem, I punch out the mirrors while you do your sniffing and peeing routine.

    you wrote: "Michael & Debbie Seltzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > However, the Citroen not only could be pushed around, but it actually
    had
    > > hydraulic system and could move itself up and down. ************ It was
    a favorite
    > > stopping place for the neighborhood dogs. Lots of sniffing and peeing on those tires. ((We were
    > > doing it back then}},**********************
    >we just didn't have a name for it. As far as the stuff under the back seat
    goes we never went there. I don't
    > > think I would want to do that in a French car.
    > >
    > > Skip
    >
    > Yah, the Citroën was performance art all on its own. It's all my Dad
    would
    > drive (saved his life once, at least). As a kid I used to love the little mushroom brake pedal,
    > and the hydraulic suspension. He drove a '67 Henri Chapron hardtop (I think the first one brought
    > to the West coast) until he died. Then my mom sold it for more than I could afford, otherwise I'd
    > probably be driving it now.
    >
    > Michael

  19. Srod

    Srod Guest

    "Michael & Debbie Seltzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Yah, the Citroën was performance art all on its own. It's all my Dad
    would
    > drive (saved his life once, at least). As a kid I used to love the little mushroom brake pedal,
    > and the hydraulic suspension. He drove a '67 Henri Chapron hardtop (I think the first one brought
    > to the West coast) until he died. Then my mom sold it for more than I could afford, otherwise I'd
    > probably be driving it now.
    >
    > Michael

    My friend and I would have liked your Dad. And you don't sound like a bad sort yourself.

    Skip

  20. Srod

    Srod Guest

    > Let me get this straight....YOU were sniffing and peeing on car tires? Have you considered
    > relocating to Toronto, we have lots of cars up here
    for
    > you to sniff and then pee on. We could work in tandem, I punch out the mirrors while you do your
    sniffing
    > and peeing routine.

    If it's Performance Art they want it's Performance Art they get. We would be one hell of a team.
    Could I get to break the mirrors every now and then.?

    Skip