Beginner Inquiry

Al Kubeluis

Guest
Guter Tag, I am new to recumbents and have 4 questions:
1. Why are some of you riding old WWII German V2's?
2. Do you need disk brakes or are calipers sufficient?
3. Is there a lot of tiller effect?
4. Is V2 unstable at slow speeds, say under mach 1? Dankt, Wernher

Al Kubeluis wrote:
> Guter Tag, I am new to recumbents and have 4 questions:
> 1. Why are some of you riding old WWII German V2's?
> 2. Do you need disk brakes or are calipers sufficient?
> 3. Is there a lot of tiller effect?
> 4. Is V2 unstable at slow speeds, say under mach 1? Dankt, Wernher

The V2 is a classic, like the Harley Davidson motorcycle. To ride one is to ride the finest
rocket of it's time. There may be newer, faster

them. I would definitely recommend a disk brake upgrade. Right now the only way to stop them is to
slam them into the ground. This is a bit rough on the body so a way to stop them more gently would
be highly desirable. A tiller is the only way to steer them so yes, there is a lot of tiller
effect. Stability at high and low speeds is quite good most of the time. It's just when those damm
Brits shoot a wing off or something that you start having problems. Regards, The Red (slightly
burnt) Baron

"David" skrev...

> Stability at high and low speeds is quite good most of the time. It's just when those damm Brits
> shoot a wing off or something that you start having problems.

No, no that was the SWB-version - the V1. I hear they stopped making them because the steering was
too complicated (and the Brits took potshots at them). The new improved LWB V2 you just point where
you want to go and fire her up. And its great for hills, climbs 1500 m/sec at its best.

I'd be a little vary of Wernhers comments though. He had stocks in the companies that made them.
Thats the Third Reich Fahrradbau that later suffered a hostile takeover by Allied Forces (the
wellknown mountainbikecompany) and it ended its days being put together by a local homebuilder
called Uncle Sam over in the US.

Regards Mikael

The V2 is for beerguzzling teutonic wussies anyway. Do like me and get a Titan. Its light and rides
great. US made. I got the one with the hydrogen warhead option. It _really_ blows the DF roadies
away. (Well it melts them first but still.)

Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> The V2 is for beerguzzling teutonic wussies anyway. Do like me and get a Titan. Its light and
> rides great. US made. I got the one with the hydrogen warhead option. It _really_ blows the DF
> roadies away. (Well it melts them first but still.)
>
> Mikael

You blokes are all way ahead of me. The only "V" I remember was that not so good TV mini-series
about lizard-ish space aliens invading the Earth. The most memorable thing about it was Kirstie
Alley(sp?).

rorschandt klatu mirata nikto

Tom Blum, You sent me the following private email. I do not understand why. Care to explain yourself
in public?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> To: "Al Kubeluis"
<[email protected]> Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 6:24 PM Subject: Re: Beginner Inquiry

--
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guter Tag, I am new to recumbents and have 4 questions:
> 1. Why are some of you riding old WWII German V2's?
> 2. Do you need disk brakes or are calipers sufficient?
> 3. Is there a lot of tiller effect?
> 4. Is V2 unstable at slow speeds, say under mach 1? Dankt, Wernher

Judas Priest!! Thinned skinned aren't we. The message was sent off list because it was meant to
be off list.

The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and no body./content.

Al, I haven't met you and now I'm really not in a hurry to.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

> "Tom Blum" skrev...
> > The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and
no
> > body./content.
>
> Yea, we much prefer pointless posts with a big fat body discussing Iraq, imperialism or anything
> else remotely unconnected with recumbents.
>
> G.W. Bush, mrs.

OT - Off Topic NBC - No Bent Content PPRUWR - Pointless Post Remotely Unconnected With Recumbents

Mikael:

May I add some of your pointless posts that are my favorites to the list? Specifically I'm now
referring to any and all of your discussions concerning Citroens.

In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive I must tell about a friend who had one
that he left it parked in front of his house because it wouldn't run. He claimed it was a work of
art, you know like some kind of metal sculpture. We were in the mid-deep southern city of Memphis at
the time and the car was pretty freaky looking to some of the local folk. Then one night it just
disappeared. Most people suspected a conspiracy of neighbors, but I suspected his wife. The entire
incident was, as you say, remotely unconnected with recumbents and furthermore pointless in the
context of this newsgroup, so I think it would qualify under the criteria you previously
established.

Skip

"skip" skrev...
> OT - Off Topic NBC - No Bent Content PPRUWR - Pointless Post Remotely Unconnected With Recumbents
>
> Mikael:
>
> May I add some of your pointless posts that are my favorites to the list? Specifically I'm now
> referring to any and all of your discussions concerning Citroens.

I'm not claiming that I never make pointless posts. I added quite a lot to a recent I-thread to
prove the point of that thread being pointless from my point of view. And since everyone else gets
cabin fever why shouldn't I? ;-)

> In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive *snip*

If you wanted that you should post to that thread. At any rate Dave Larrington was contemplating
buying one to haul bents around in and was understandably worried about them going up in smoke.

Live long and prosper! Mikael

Didn't the 2CV have seats that might be adaptable to a homebent build project? "Mikael Seierup"

> "skip" skrev...
> > OT - Off Topic NBC - No Bent Content PPRUWR - Pointless Post Remotely Unconnected With
> > Recumbents
> >
> > Mikael:
> >
> > May I add some of your pointless posts that are my favorites to the
list?
> > Specifically I'm now referring to any and all of your discussions
concerning
> > Citroens.
>
> I'm not claiming that I never make pointless posts. I added quite a lot to a recent I-thread to
> prove the point of that thread being pointless from my point of view. And since everyone else gets
> cabin fever why shouldn't I? ;-)
>
> > In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive *snip*
>
> If you wanted that you should post to that thread. At any rate Dave Larrington was contemplating
> buying one to haul bents around in and was understandably worried about them going up in smoke.
>
> Live long and prosper! Mikael

news:[email protected].. <snip>
> > In an effort to keep your pointless Citroen discussions alive *snip*
>
> If you wanted that you should post to that thread. At any rate Dave Larrington was contemplating
> buying one to haul bents around in and was understandably worried about them going up in smoke.
>
> Live long and prosper! Mikael

Sorry Mikael, but I didn't read those Citroen posts close enough to realize they weren't PPRUWR
after all since Dave Larrington was thinking of one for his bents. My bad.

That being the case then I think Dave should definitely consider the purchase a Citroen. It would be
a good vehicle for him and his bents.

Peace and Brotherhood Skip

> The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and no body./content.
>
> Al, I haven't met you and now I'm really not in a hurry to.

> Tom Blum

Well, I've met you both, cycled and lunched with you, and used up all my breath trying to keep up
with you. You are both fine fellows. 12 years old, but fine.

C.C.

Carol, Thanks, Al

"Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA87C7A5.4641B%[email protected]...

> > The message was aimed at your pointless posts recently with a header and
no
> > body./content.
> >
> > Al, I haven't met you and now I'm really not in a hurry to.
>
> > Tom Blum
>
> Well, I've met you both, cycled and lunched with you, and used up all my breath trying to keep up
> with you. You are both fine fellows. 12 years old, but fine.
>
> C.C.

Skip, If you push it a few parking spaces up and down the street AND take pictures of doing so it
becomes Performance Art, and if you glue the stuff from under the back seat to the hood it can
become Performance Art with Found Objects. Then, get a dog to pee on a tire and you have Performance
Folk Art with Found Objects ;-) bill g

"a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Skip, If you push it a few parking spaces up and down the street AND take pictures of doing so it
> becomes Performance Art, and if you glue the stuff from under the back seat to the hood it can
> become Performance Art with Found Objects. Then, get a dog to pee on a tire and you have
> Performance Folk Art with Found Objects ;-) bill g

Bill:

This was in the late sixties and I don't think Performance Art was in vogue back then so I suppose
all of this was ahead of our time. However, the Citroen not only could be pushed around, but it
actually had a hydraulic system and could move itself up and down. It was a favorite stopping place
for the neighborhood dogs. Lots of sniffing and peeing on those tires. We were doing it back then,
we just didn't have a name for it.

As far as the stuff under the back seat goes we never went there. I don't think I would want to do
that in a French car.

Skip

You need a V-Million[1]:

Pro: Excellent streamlining, can travel under water Con: Vulnerable to depth charges

1 - if you haven't read "Cryptonomicon", my condolences...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> However, the Citroen not only could be pushed around, but it actually had
> hydraulic system and could move itself up and down. It was a favorite stopping place for the
> neighborhood dogs. Lots of sniffing and peeing on those tires. We were doing it back then, we just
> didn't have a name for
it.

> As far as the stuff under the back seat goes we never went there. I don't think I would want to do
> that in a French car.
>
> Skip

Yah, the Citroën was performance art all on its own. It's all my Dad would drive (saved his life
once, at least). As a kid I used to love the little mushroom brake pedal, and the hydraulic
suspension. He drove a '67 Henri Chapron hardtop (I think the first one brought to the West
coast) until he died. Then my mom sold it for more than I could afford, otherwise I'd probably be
driving it now.

Michael

Let me get this straight....YOU were sniffing and peeing on car tires? Have you considered
relocating to Toronto, we have lots of cars up here for you to sniff and then pee on. We could work
in tandem, I punch out the mirrors while you do your sniffing and peeing routine.

you wrote: "Michael & Debbie Seltzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > However, the Citroen not only could be pushed around, but it actually
had
> > hydraulic system and could move itself up and down. ************ It was
a favorite
> > stopping place for the neighborhood dogs. Lots of sniffing and peeing on those tires. ((We were
> > doing it back then}},**********************
>we just didn't have a name for it. As far as the stuff under the back seat
goes we never went there. I don't
> > think I would want to do that in a French car.
> >
> > Skip
>
> Yah, the Citroën was performance art all on its own. It's all my Dad
would
> drive (saved his life once, at least). As a kid I used to love the little mushroom brake pedal,
> and the hydraulic suspension. He drove a '67 Henri Chapron hardtop (I think the first one brought
> to the West coast) until he died. Then my mom sold it for more than I could afford, otherwise I'd
> probably be driving it now.
>
> Michael

"Michael & Debbie Seltzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yah, the Citroën was performance art all on its own. It's all my Dad
would
> drive (saved his life once, at least). As a kid I used to love the little mushroom brake pedal,
> and the hydraulic suspension. He drove a '67 Henri Chapron hardtop (I think the first one brought
> to the West coast) until he died. Then my mom sold it for more than I could afford, otherwise I'd
> probably be driving it now.
>
> Michael

My friend and I would have liked your Dad. And you don't sound like a bad sort yourself.

Skip

> Let me get this straight....YOU were sniffing and peeing on car tires? Have you considered
> relocating to Toronto, we have lots of cars up here
for
> you to sniff and then pee on. We could work in tandem, I punch out the mirrors while you do your
sniffing
> and peeing routine.

If it's Performance Art they want it's Performance Art they get. We would be one hell of a team.
Could I get to break the mirrors every now and then.?

Skip