Beginner looking for a triathlon bike

Riblet21

Apr 19, 2012
I have had an old roadster bike before and rode it every day until it got stolen. Now I am looking to get a new one so I can use it for cross-training and during triathlons. I do not want to spend too much money, as I am still new to this, so I was thinking $500 would be my limit. I found these two bikes in my search online and wanted to know what you thought, or if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/cycling/road+bikes/300790_3067742.do

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/miragesport_xi.htm

A road bike is much more versatile...

I would consider getting a road bike instead.

If 500 is your limit than either one would fit your budget. Is it possible for you to test ride these bikes? If so get the one you feel the most comfortable riding.

I was just wondering if one was significantly better than the other. Are bikes more expensive if you get them from a shop? I'm not sure if there are any close by to me.

The features list on the Fuji is hilarious. At least with the Fuji, you should be able to find a local dealer to try out the bike, get fitted before you buy.

Features Main frame
  • A1-SL Compact Aluminum with traditional round down tube
  • Double water bottle mounts Rear triangle
  • A1-SL Aluminum curved seat stay w/rack mount
  • Forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger Fork
  • Fuji custom tapered CrMo
  • 1 1/8 Steerer Crankset
  • Fuji Forged Alloy 30/42/52T Chainring Bottom bracket
  • Sealed Cartridge Bearing ST Front derailleur
  • Shimano FD-2303
  • 31.8mm clamp Rear derailleur
  • Shimano RD-2300
  • 8sp Shifters
  • Shimano SL-R400 D/T shifter
  • 24-speed Cassette
  • Shimano HG-50
  • 12-25T 8sp Chain
  • KMC Z-72
  • 8sp Wheelset
  • Fuji Alloy 32H hubs w/Fuji Alloy Clincher w/CNC sidewalls
  • 700c Tires
  • Kenda K-152
  • 700x25c
  • Wire bead Brake set
  • Fuji Forged Alloy
  • dual pivot Brake levers
  • Fuji Forged Alloy Headset
  • VP A-88 Sealed 1 1/8 Handlebar
  • Fuji Alloy Anatomical Drops Stem
  • Fuji Adjustable Road Tape/grip
  • Fuji custom cork wrap Saddle
  • Fuji Road Sport Anatomical Seat post
  • Fuji Comp MicroAdjust Forged Alloy
  • 350x27.2mm Weight- kg/lbs

Get the Motobecane at BikesDirect. The frame design is a little long in the tooth, but it's a sensible, well-made inexpensive bike. A local shop should be able to assemble it for you for less than $100.

The Fuji Newest 4 is the best example of a cheap bike cobbled from a list of decent parts with no regard for the quality of the finished product. Outstanding features are a heavy, awkward frame that handles awkwardly, wheels made from decent hubs and rims but poorly assembled and laced two-cross for poor durability, and handlebars and stem poorly chosen for the fit of the rider.

While you're looking for a shop to assemble your bike, consider their entry-level road bikes. For about $100 more than the Motobecane plus assembly, you could get a Trek 1.1 plus some free support and service.