Beginner looking for first bike.

elboogiemane

Feb 25, 2014
Hello all! I'm a beginner in need of some advice on a used bike which will be my first one as well. I think my final 2 choices are down to a 2002 Diamondback Sorrento with plenty of upgrades or a 1997 Trek 800 with a few decent upgrades as well. Any decent info would be helpful.

Diamondback = walmart Trek = bike shop But really both are bikes that sold for under $300 new so should be about $50 now. I say keep searching Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's true that in 2002, DB was basically a box store special, but they've stepped up their game in recent years. They make some really nice models right now. But they are all probably well out of your price range.

Keep looking. Don't overlook some older steel framed bikes. The Land of the Rising Sun was making some really nice bikes in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. Stuff that was made right to start with holds up better than cheap from the get-go.

mpre53 said:
It's true that in 2002, DB was basically a box store special, but they've stepped up their game in recent years. They make some really nice models right now. But they are all probably well out of your price range. Keep looking. Don't overlook some older steel framed bikes. The Land of the Rising Sun was making some really nice bikes in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. Stuff that was made right to start with holds up better than cheap from the get-go.

Thanks, I most definitely passed on the DB, the guy beat the hell out of it just loading and unloading in his vehicle and claimed to be "selling for a friend".