Beginner looking for general advice

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Imbrium, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Imbrium

Imbrium New Member

Hello, I'm Imbrium (or Imbri)
    I recently got back on the bike again for the first time in 20 years. I have been working to improve my body and mind, and I wanted to add something that would burn calories, tone muscle, and add clarity and general positivity to my day. I have lost a significant amount of weight and I go to karate classes 3 days a week. I have been able to add cycling 3 days a week for the past two weeks and my last ride was just under 10 miles! I never would have thought it possible. I use a free tracker that came with my phone and I ride on paved bike trails near my home.
    A problem I've run into are my hands going numb fairly early into the ride. I've tried to change my hand and elbow positions and adjusted the handlebar. It's helped a little but the problem remains. I'm also interested in finding a (very) small group in NE Houston to potentially ride with but it seems like all the groups in my area are huge and start at 30 mile rides.
    I would appreciate any advice or suggestions, especially things that a newbie wouldn't think to ask.
    Thank you!

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

The cause of hand pain/numbness can be difficult to track down. It can be due to grips/bar tape, bar contour, saddle position, or simply fitness. When pedalling, you use your upper body as a counterweight for the pedaling force, so the more strength/endurance you build, the less weight will be carried through your arms/hands.
    Saddle fore/aft is another thing. The farther back you set the saddle, the easier it becomes to use the upper body for leverage.
    And then there’s the bar itself. On my previous road bike I went through two brifters and three bars before I found a setup that agreed with me.

Imbrium likes this.
  3. Imbrium

Imbrium New Member

Thank you for your response. Your explanation helps a lot. On my ride last night, my hands were not nearly as numb and it started much further into the ride. It may be a combination of fitness and saddle position. I found it easier and more comfortable when I sat further back on the saddle.

4. Cyklopedia

Cyklopedia New Member

Check this guide for beginners in cycling as well as the whole blog, it should improve your cycling knowledge and skills.

Imbrium likes this.
  5. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Member

If the problem persists, check to see if any of you local shops offer fitting services. A professional bike fit can fix a multitude of problems. However, since you're a new rider, your position will evolve over time as your fitness and bike-specific flexibility improves. That will typically require some adjustments and potentially some equipment changes.

Imbrium likes this.
  6. samwallace13

samwallace13 New Member

Fitness is an important thing for cycling. But, it should be in the right direction. I would recommend you using some Best Fitness Apps to monitor yourself. It will surely help you. Other than that, if you can, then get yourself a proper trainer