Beginner looking to buy a bike

Oops!!! You're right--I was thinking about the 2010 keeping the carbon seat posts and dropping the stays--and mis-typed.

Yep, the '09s have the carbon seat stays which were dropped in 2010.

Well, there's not a bad bike among those choices. All things being equal, I'd tend toward the Cannondales. The CAAD9 has a stellar reputation and is a modern classic. The six13 is good also, especially with its component selection.

I think what the LBS said about test rides was said for their own convenience and doesn't reflect very highly on them. The geometry for the Trek bikes is different than it is for the two Cannondales, so how they feel to you could be completely different.

If the Treks and the Cannondale CAAD9 felt pretty much the same, I'd take the CAAD9 in a heartbeat. I think it's the better alloy frame, and the price is a steal. Sure the component spec is a bit lower, but the frame is the key component. You can change components later.

The six13 is also a smokin' deal that would be hard to avoid. It's not that far out of your price range, and it comes with a solid component group.

Cannondale also has a very nice crash replacement policy for frames, should the nastiness happen to your bike.

All that said, I'd be hard pressed to buy at a place that wouldn't allow a test ride or three. Three, for this group would do it: any of the Treks and each of the Cannondales. If nothing else the LBS could switch seats between the bikes. Frankly, it wouldn't take much effort to switch the same stem between bikes. They could at least make an effort. If I were you, I'd walk in and say that you're there to buy a bike, but you won't buy until you get test rides.

Edit: Don't be bothered with CF seat posts and seat stays. CF seat stays, on an aluminum bike, add nothing other than "carbon fiber." In other words, they're selling a myth (CF isn't always more comfortable, doesn't always absorb vibes the way you'd think, and aluminum isn't always stiff.) Air pressure in the tires has far more to do with comfort than seat stays and seat posts.

Thanks for the advice all it really helped! I went ahead and bought the Trek 2.3 to save the trip back for better components later on. The store I went to really is nice and a friend of mine knows the owner personally and had nothing but great things to say. I guess what they were saying as far as a test ride goes is that because I'm just getting into this someone like myself really won't be able to tell a huge difference right off the bat between the two bikes. Later down the road yes they said they would be more then willing to let an experienced rider go for a test run. Picked up some clip in shoes and pedals, helmet, and a water bottle holder as well. Only had time to ride a few miles today but I'm already in love with the thing. Going on my first 20 mile ride on saturday I can't wait. :D Thanks again all I really appreciate it.

Congrats on your new ride!! I'm very happy with my new 2.3, and Trek in general.

We actually just ordered a 1.5WSD for my wife a day or so ago--suggested she try a road bike as I was really impressed with the differences. Hopefully it'll be in later this week.

Post some pics when you can!
Bill

Nice I am glad you pick the Trek 2.3 its a solid bike you will have a lot of fun riding it. Post some pics we all like a little bike ****.

Rode in a 20 mile fundraiser race this morning. It was 40 degrees and drizzling. My face, hands, and feet were numb by the end but I still had a blast on the bike. Not sure what my time was I went straight for the car after I finished. The bike was awesome I have no complaints thus far! Sorry no pictures. Can't wait for it to warm up here!

nodor said:
Rode in a 20 mile fundraiser race this morning. It was 40 degrees and drizzling. My face, hands, and feet were numb by the end but I still had a blast on the bike. Not sure what my time was I went straight for the car after I finished. The bike was awesome I have no complaints thus far! Sorry no pictures. Can't wait for it to warm up here!

Excellent! Foul or cold weather is no reason to miss riding. With the right clothes, it's comfy.

nodor said:

Very cool!!! (pardon the pun!:D) Glad you're happy with the bike--my 2.3 fulfills the basic test for me--she makes me want to take her out for a ride.

Bill

Heres a picture. Sorry about the poor quality it was taken with a phone. The bike is a 58.
photozkr.jpg

Picture pulled from the internet of the exact same bike:
trek-2-3-2009-road-bike.jpg

That's a beautiful mount you have there. Now, ride it like you're in a prison break!

Hello,

To choose the good size, you can try SizeMyBike. It is a bike fitting calculator available on iPhone. I developped this application. Please contact me for any question or suggestion. For contact and more details: SizeMyBike

Nicolas

iphoneh1.png

nodor said:
Heres a picture. Sorry about the poor quality it was taken with a phone. The bike is a 58.

Picture pulled from the internet of the exact same bike:
trek-2-3-2009-road-bike.jpg

I am considering buying one of these, are you still happy with it?

baker3 said:
I am considering buying one of these, are you still happy with it?

I love it. I ride it several times a week. Its my first bike so I don't really have anything to compare it to but I have zero complaints thus far.