Beginner MTB?

deathbykabar

Jul 29, 2004
I've been looking at getting a new bike to start riding some local trails here in NC and was looking for some input as to what kind of bike would be a good "beginner" bike. I want to keep the price under $350, so I went to my local bike shop and looked at what they had. Basically, what I am considering right now is the Trek 4300. Is this bike good, or is there a better one out there for the price? I want something that I can do some good trails on, but I don't plan on running down a mountain face or taking 6 ft drops any time in the near future, but at the same time, I don't want something that will go and break when I am going through some moderately tough trails. Any help you all can offer would be appreciated, thanks!

deathbykabar said:
I've been looking at getting a new bike to start riding some local trails here in NC and was looking for some input as to what kind of bike would be a good "beginner" bike. I want to keep the price under $350, so I went to my local bike shop and looked at what they had. Basically, what I am considering right now is the Trek 4300. Is this bike good, or is there a better one out there for the price? I want something that I can do some good trails on, but I don't plan on running down a mountain face or taking 6 ft drops any time in the near future, but at the same time, I don't want something that will go and break when I am going through some moderately tough trails. Any help you all can offer would be appreciated, thanks!

giant rincon as well..

I bought a '03 Specialzed Hardrock Pro Disc for $425.

A little above $350 but a nice bike... 100mm fork discs, aluminum frame, 3x8 rapidfires. Truvative cranks.:cool:

My son really likes it.

deathbykabar said:
I just got a 2005 specialized Hardrock sport for $339. I am brand new to this stuff, but it seems to be a good bike for the price. My husband and I took ours out for their first ride on a trail this weekend and I was very pleased. (I recommend the yellow over the silver :) )

My younger bro got the Trek 4300 and he loves it. I don't think you will go wrong with it.

A friend of mine got the Trek 4300 and he beats the stuffing out of it, good strong frame it has held up to alot though the front fork isn't very good and is the first part he is going to upgrade, I have heard many good things about the specailized Hardrock and would deffiantly advise either as good bikes.

I'd go with the Specialized HardRock Sport or the Giant Rincon. Both have double-wall rims and suspension forks with preload adjustment. Both bikes are under $350.