Beginner Needs Advice on Rollers & Training

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Finn2007, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Finn2007

Finn2007 New Member

Hey Guys,

I've got a few questions about getting started with roller training for the winter.

As a little background, I was very active in cycling about ten years ago, did a couple 500 mile week long rides and a few centuries. Anyway, I'm starting from zero and not in very good aerobic shape, but since winter in Wisconsin is about 10 months I'll have a start...

So, I'm looking for a few recommendations as far as equipment.

Should I go with rollers or a fixed base stand? Any recommendations on brands?

I have a bike from about 1989. It's in okay shape, but has downtube shifters and sewup tires. The sewups will need to be replaced. I'm planning getting a new bike this spring, but could do it sonner. (I also have a newer mountain bike that I could use.)Thoughts?

Also, I'm thinking I'll need a heart rate monitor. True?

And finally, do the cycling workout DVD's make sense? Any thing else I should consider?

I really appreciate any thoughts on getting my soft body back into shape!

Thanks!!!

Tags:

2. BullGod

BullGod New Member

personally I would get a trainer that records power (not accurate) I would recommend the Tacx Flow, http://www.tacx.com/ but the Kurt Kinetic also sounds good- then you can start doing 20 min intervals. In the early spring add some 5 minute intervals - repeat until you're dying.

you'll need good rear tyre for the trainer. They eat rubber. Continental make a special tyre for trainers.

You'll find it hard to do much more than an hour on the hometrainer without getting really bored and uncomfortable. My record is 2.5 hrs - while watching a film.

Rollers are great for balance and handling skills, but unless you get the very expensive ones with resistance you'll struggle to introduce higher intensity.

Get an HR monitor too - then you can get Doctor Morbius HR zone xl sheet off this forum and work out your zones - this also helps you to train in the right levels.