Beginner needs bike-buying advice . . .

peterlat

Apr 20, 2010
Hello--I'm brand new to the forums and a cycling novice. All the bikes I've owned over the years have been bought at garage sales. I'd like to buy something better, something I can ride 10-15 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, mostly for errands, recreation, etc. (I live in Minneapolis, a reasonably bike-friendly city.) I'd like to keep it under $500.

Here are the features that are important: Three or one speed, definitely no derailleurs. Fenders. Rack. Chain guard. Puncture-resistant tires (can you guess I'm mechanically challenged?). Nothing terribly heavy (I saw an ad for a Swedish Kronan: nice, but it weighs 50 pounds!). Nothing overly cute, retro- or sentimental-looking.

I hope these aren't the wrong questions to be asking. If they are, let me know. Thanks.

Peter, I would recommend that you go talk to the people at the Penn Cycle shop nearest to you.

I live over on the east side of St. Paul and I've been shopping at the Penn Cycle by me for about 6 years, and I think they do a good job.

I think it would be worth your time to go talk to them and tell them what you are looking for in a bike, even if you don't buy anything from them they are usually very helpful.

Edited to add: I looked in the phone book and there is a Penn Cycle on Lake St. just west of Lyndale if that would be close to you.

Good advice, thanks. They've been a great place for repairs--very friendly, straightforward and honest. I was at their Penn Av. shop today looking around, but there wasn't a lot there in terms of what I'm looking for. But I'm continuing to do a lot of on-line research, and learning a bit more every day.

Anyone have any experience with the Torker U-District? I looked at one today at a different shop. Too wet for them to let me take it out, but it looks clean and simple. I'm just wondering if its low price indicates questionable quality--$350 seems almost bargain basement these days for a new bike.