Beginner Q: how much clothing do you change for each leg of the race?

I'm a beginner and have an Olympic distance tri coming up next week
(Chicago/Accenture) and I'm looking for advice on clothing--what
to wear on each leg.

My first Tri earlier this summer was a sprint, and I didn't need a
wetsuit. I did the the swim in my casual swimsuit (nylon shell shorts
and mesh liner), then did the bike and run without changing anything
except putting on socks, shoes and shirt. Worked OK, a little chafing.
I think I want to get more specific and comfortable next time. I will
be using a wetsuit, but not bike shoes.

So... what is your progression of gear/clothing for olympic distance?
-What do you wear under your wetsuit
-Do you wear bike shorts
-What do you wear while running (do you run in bike shorts? guys, do
you wear a jock?)
-Any other tips?

Thank you for your advice,

Max

Use the keep it simple methodology. If you can find an outfit that you
can wear throughout the race that's the best option. There are a ton of
mfg that make tri specific clothing LG, DeSoto, Tyr, Zoot, Pearl, etc.

Tri shorts (thin cycling pad) and tri top under my wetsuit (you want
this close fitting). No cycling shorts and no socks for anything less
and a 1/2 IM. Try ALL of this out in training...never on race day.

-Andrew
Boulder, CO

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm a beginner and have an Olympic distance tri coming up next week
> (Chicago/Accenture) and I'm looking for advice on clothing--what
> to wear on each leg.
>
> My first Tri earlier this summer was a sprint, and I didn't need a
> wetsuit. I did the the swim in my casual swimsuit (nylon shell shorts
> and mesh liner), then did the bike and run without changing anything
> except putting on socks, shoes and shirt. Worked OK, a little chafing.
> I think I want to get more specific and comfortable next time. I will
> be using a wetsuit, but not bike shoes.
>
> So... what is your progression of gear/clothing for olympic distance?
> -What do you wear under your wetsuit
> -Do you wear bike shorts
> -What do you wear while running (do you run in bike shorts? guys, do
> you wear a jock?)
> -Any other tips?
>

> Thank you for your advice,
>
> Max

Agree with Andrew, particularly at the OD...under wetsuit, wear what
you'll wear for the rest of the race (except
socks/hat/sunglasses)...but make sure everything is "tri specific";
regular bike shorts will have too much padding as well as more overall
material and will probably take on too much water to be comfortable;
same with the top, if it's not meant to get wet without drying fairly
quickly don't wear it. But almost everyone makes gear you can wear all
day, up to and including at the IM distance.

For me, socks on the bike or run depend on the run surface---if it will
be off-road at all, I'll go ahead and put them on in T1. Otherwise, no
socks to and through Olympic Distance, very much optional on the bike
for me at the HIM/IM distance but I will wear socks on an IM run
always...personal preference.

Mike C
[email protected] wrote:
> I'm a beginner and have an Olympic distance tri coming up next week
> (Chicago/Accenture) and I'm looking for advice on clothing--what
> to wear on each leg.
>
> My first Tri earlier this summer was a sprint, and I didn't need a
> wetsuit. I did the the swim in my casual swimsuit (nylon shell shorts
> and mesh liner), then did the bike and run without changing anything
> except putting on socks, shoes and shirt. Worked OK, a little chafing.
> I think I want to get more specific and comfortable next time. I will
> be using a wetsuit, but not bike shoes.
>
> So... what is your progression of gear/clothing for olympic distance?
> -What do you wear under your wetsuit
> -Do you wear bike shorts
> -What do you wear while running (do you run in bike shorts? guys, do
> you wear a jock?)
> -Any other tips?
>

> Thank you for your advice,
>
> Max

On 8/16/05 12:27 PM, in article, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm a beginner and have an Olympic distance tri coming up next week
> (Chicago/Accenture) and I'm looking for advice on clothing--what
> to wear on each leg.
>
> My first Tri earlier this summer was a sprint, and I didn't need a
> wetsuit. I did the the swim in my casual swimsuit (nylon shell shorts
> and mesh liner), then did the bike and run without changing anything
> except putting on socks, shoes and shirt. Worked OK, a little chafing.
> I think I want to get more specific and comfortable next time. I will
> be using a wetsuit, but not bike shoes.
>
> So... what is your progression of gear/clothing for olympic distance?
> -What do you wear under your wetsuit
> -Do you wear bike shorts
> -What do you wear while running (do you run in bike shorts? guys, do
> you wear a jock?)
> -Any other tips?
>

> Thank you for your advice,
>
> Max

Keep it simple. For an Oly distance (especially first time) my suggestion
is this:

Swim in a pair of tri shorts. Several manufacturers make good ones as
pointed out in an earlier post. If you are planning on wearing a wetsuit,
simply wear the wetsuit over the tri shorts.

In T1 throw on a shirt, socks, and a pair of cycling shoes. (Many go
without socks, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are VERY used to doing
this).

In T2 trade the cycling shoes for running shoes.

You can either affix your race number to the shirt and wear it throughout
both the bike and run. Or you can use a race number belt (available
everywhere online for a few bucks) and put that around your waist as you are
running our of T2.

You'll get a lot of suggestions from people who do all sorts of tricks to
shave 3 seconds off their transition times. But I wouldn't worry about any
of that for your first Oly. Keep it simple.

John

Hi Max,

As everyone here as emphasized keep it simple. But also keep it
comfortable. Tri specific shorts are best, but regular cycling shorts
will work, especially given that you're wearing a wetsuit (the cycling
shorts won't enduce drag under a wet suit - but they will still get
wet) I happen to have a pair of cycling shorts that have a super thin
pad - they are not tri-specfic - I wore them all last year and half of
this year with no problem.

As has been mentioned, test out your gear prior to your race. At least
get used to running in your cycling/tri shorts.

As before wear what you run in on the bike. Personally I would avoid
running shorts (anything that flaps) on the bike.

Stick with the socks until you've trained for at least a month
(probably two) without them - going sockless can come later when your
aim is racing rather than finishing.

If you're wearing cycling/tri shorts there is no need to wear underwear
or a jock (unless you're a freak of nature) - they tend to be tight
enough to keep your boys close to you. If you choose to wear your
casual swim suit for the entire event, then a jock may prove to be more
comfortable.

Personally my race day looks like this:
Swim: tri-shorts and tri-top (and race belt with number rolled up)
under wetsuit, googles, swim cap

Bike: bike shoes (no socks), helmet, glasses (drop wetsuit, googles)

Run: (remove bike shoes on bike) put on run shoes (no socks) (drop
helmet), uncurl race number

-CF

"In T1 throw on a shirt,"

You can wear a tri top under a wetsuit, and I highly recommend this
practice. We've all wrestled with trying to put a fairly tight piece
of apparel on over a fairly wet body and pretty soon you're adding
another event to your triathlon---the unfurling of a top nearly
impossible to do without expending a ton of useless energy!

Mike C

John Hardt wrote:
> On 8/16/05 12:27 PM, in article, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm a beginner and have an Olympic distance tri coming up next week
> > (Chicago/Accenture) and I'm looking for advice on clothing--what
> > to wear on each leg.
> >
> > My first Tri earlier this summer was a sprint, and I didn't need a
> > wetsuit. I did the the swim in my casual swimsuit (nylon shell shorts
> > and mesh liner), then did the bike and run without changing anything
> > except putting on socks, shoes and shirt. Worked OK, a little chafing.
> > I think I want to get more specific and comfortable next time. I will
> > be using a wetsuit, but not bike shoes.
> >
> > So... what is your progression of gear/clothing for olympic distance?
> > -What do you wear under your wetsuit
> > -Do you wear bike shorts
> > -What do you wear while running (do you run in bike shorts? guys, do
> > you wear a jock?)
> > -Any other tips?
> >

> > Thank you for your advice,
> >
> > Max
> >

> Keep it simple. For an Oly distance (especially first time) my suggestion
> is this:
>
> Swim in a pair of tri shorts. Several manufacturers make good ones as
> pointed out in an earlier post. If you are planning on wearing a wetsuit,
> simply wear the wetsuit over the tri shorts.
>
> In T1 throw on a shirt, socks, and a pair of cycling shoes. (Many go
> without socks, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are VERY used to doing
> this).
>
> In T2 trade the cycling shoes for running shoes.
>
> You can either affix your race number to the shirt and wear it throughout
> both the bike and run. Or you can use a race number belt (available
> everywhere online for a few bucks) and put that around your waist as you are
> running our of T2.
>
> You'll get a lot of suggestions from people who do all sorts of tricks to
> shave 3 seconds off their transition times. But I wouldn't worry about any
> of that for your first Oly. Keep it simple.
>
> John

If your event was not next week I would suggest some changes to what you
have been doing.

I seldom wear anything except a lightly padded Speedo for the entire event ,
including IM distance. No socks. Set your shoes up with elastic bands so
you do not need to mess with laces of any type, just slip into your running
shoe after the bike. Do wear cycling shoes for the bike leg. A tri
specific tank top is fine if you can swim in it. Wear it under the wet
suit if using one.

So, enter the water with cap, goggles , wetsuit, Speedo or tri specific
shorts and tank. In T1 dump the cap and goggles and wetsuit, put on cycling
shoes(minus socks) and helmet, no gloves. In T2 shed the helmet, cycling
shoe and put on running shoe(minus socks). Go like hell to the finish line.

Good luck, have fun,

Ken

news:[email protected]...