Beginner Question !! Buying a Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric Summerlin

I'm looking at an Gray Fisher Marlin at my local bike shop they want 429.00 is that a good price?
Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I need to get me on the trails.

Eric

Helmet

"Eric Summerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking at an Gray Fisher Marlin at my local bike shop they want
> is that a good price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I need
> to get me on the trails.
>
> Eric

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Eric Summerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm looking at an Gray Fisher Marlin at my local bike shop they want
> > is that a good price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I need
> > to get me on the trails.
>
> GF bikes are overpriced for what you get because you're buying the name of the person who falsely
> claims to have invented the mountain bike. I wonder if he also invented the internet with that
> mannequin al gore?
>
> Get a Raleigh M80 in that price range for a better spec and tougher frame.
>
> JD

I rented an M80 once (an lbs in Mo) and beat the living **** out of it (funny how you care less
when it's somebody elses stuff). It came through ok. I hated the component mix but the frame was
fine for me.

Marty

Ask if you can ride it first before you buy it the feel is most important. Then if you still want
the bike go for it, one man's dream machine is another man's most dreaded piece of aluminum. Once
you have decided on if that is the bike for you or not you will need a helmet,shoes,gloves and some
bottles or a hydration pack or any of those depending on how you ride. Try ebay for some good used
and new stuff and also i shop at www.specialized.com they have last year models really cheap.

Buy the bike, if it's the best you can afford, just make sure it fits you properly. Take it for a
spin around the block, get some shifting in to make sure everything is smooth.

Most important is a good helmet, gloves, hydration system, and mini tool set.

Oh, forget JD, he hates anything that isn't his own idea. Keep his posts for a good laugh when
your down!

"Eric Summerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> is that a good price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I need
> to get me on the trails.
>
> Eric

"TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Buy the bike, if it's the best you can afford, just make sure it fits you properly. Take it for a
> spin around the block, get some shifting in to make sure everything is smooth.

If you go to a good bike shop the person selling the bike should be able to help fit you to a
suitable bike. I went to the local SuperGo bike shop and the salesman had me sit on a few bikes,
adjusted the seat and found me a bike that fits perfectly. After that he let me ride it around
outside and when I decided to buy, he brought it in back and had everything adjusted and double
checked. He told me that if there was any problems with the gears slipping or anything like that I
could bring it in and get it adjusted for free over the next 45 days. I would expect similar servce
from any bike shop I go to.

> Most important is a good helmet, gloves, hydration system, and mini tool set.
>
> Oh, forget JD, he hates anything that isn't his own idea. Keep his posts for a good laugh when
> your down!
>
>
>
>
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm looking at an Gray Fisher Marlin at my local bike shop they want
> 429.00
>> is that a good price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I need
>> to get me on the trails.
>>
>> Eric
>>
>>
>

"Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I rented an M80 once (an lbs in Mo) and beat the living **** out of it (funny how you care less
> when it's somebody elses stuff). It came through ok. I hated the component mix but the frame was
> fine for me.

Translation: A good entry level bike with an upgradeable, solid frame.

JD

Eric Summerlin wrote:
> 429.00 is that a good price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I
> need to get me on the trails.
>
> Eric

http://bdbauer.tripod.com/newbike/ is a good resouce.

just sold my 2002 diamondback response, for 2003 diamondback apex, i go it for $650, the componets
are excellent for the price.

if $$ is the an issue look at the topanga comp-disc

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Eric Summerlin wrote:
> > I'm looking at an Gray Fisher Marlin at my local bike shop they want
> > 429.00 is that a good price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should
> > I need to get me on the trails.
> >
> > Eric
>
> http://bdbauer.tripod.com/newbike/ is a good resouce.

[email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm looking at an Gray Fisher Marlin at my local bike shop they want 429.00 is that a good
> > price? Also is that a good bike for me to start off with? What else should I need to get me on
> > the trails.
>
> GF bikes are overpriced for what you get because you're buying the name of the person who falsely
> claims to have invented the mountain bike. I wonder if he also invented the internet with that
> mannequin al gore?

You claim a Giant DS1 is a URT so what's the differance?

> Get a Raleigh M80 in that price range for a better spec and tougher frame.

They break and get recalled. ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.