Beginner Questions

cj_jessty

Jan 28, 2003
Can anyone tell me if there is a place to ask questions as a beginning cyclist? I don't want to post where I'm not supposed to.

Thanks!

Originally posted by cj_jessty
Can anyone tell me if there is a place to ask questions as a beginning cyclist? I don't want to post where I'm not supposed to.

Thanks!

Just pick a forum thats related to what you want to ask eg. if its about road racing, post it here :) If your not sure where you should post, just post in the general forum.

You should also note that usnet posts are postings from usenet, so anything thats posted to these forums will be sent to all news servers.

Anyway welcome to the forum!

cheers!

Ok, yes it is about road racing. Can someone explain is a road race competed with a team or are there road races that are individual efforts? I am interested in getting into racing, but I am not interested in competing with a team. So far, time trials seem to be the best way to go, but I want to be able to move up in the USCF categories.

THanks in advance, cj

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, you can compete in cycling races as an individual. Most races in the U.S. are criteriums because they require that less roads be closed and corners monitored than a true road race.

If you don't know, a criterium is a race that goes around and around a small course, usually a couple of city blocks. Some race lengths are determined by laps (say 20 laps?) while others are time+laps (45 minutes and then 2 more laps. They ring a bell after 45 minutes then there are 2 laps to go).

Racing as an individual is a fine way to start. Given that you will start in the lowest ranks of the USCF you can be relatively competitive without a team. As you move up through the ranks the team aspect becomes more critical.

Even if you don't want to race with a team, you should look into riding with local groups for training. It is generally good fun and your skills at handling a bike in a group will improve.