Beginner rider needs help.

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by abranaugh, Mar 16, 2011.

1. abranaugh

abranaugh New Member

Hey Everyone,

I need a lot of help. I am a 20 year old student and am looking for a bike that I will be able to use for fitness and eventually ride in some charity rides and hopefully, eventually get up to a century ride. I started riding last summer on my Dads Mongoose Crossway 250 (I think that is the model). Lately I have been doing a lot of biking on one of the upright bikes in the weight room here on campus. I would love to get a bike of my own and I would like a road bike. I like to bike on trails and the roads around here. Now I have no idea where to even start to begin looking. I know people have suggested going to my LBS and see what they say. I was just wondering though, what are some of the things I should be looking at when I am there? Also one of the major concerns is price. I would be willing to spend around $1,000 on everything (bike, accessories, electronics, all that stuff). Again I don't know exactly what I need to buy regarding that.

If someone could take the time and make a list of everything I would need to start biking around here, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Besides the bike I would plan to buy:

Padded shorts
    Helmet
    Shoes
    Floor pump
    Chain lube

Small bike bag
    Extra tube
    tube patch kit
    Co2 Inflator or mini-pump
    Water bottle Cage and bottle

That should get you started. Then as you have the money to spend you can buy things like a bike computer, jerseys, etc.

3. abranaugh

abranaugh New Member

So I priced that all out, didn't go for the top of the line stuff but more mediocore and I have a few of those items, I have the following listed:

Paddd Shorts - $40-50
    Helmet - I have
    Shoes - $50-75
    Floor Pump - $20
    Chain lube - $5

Small bike bag - $10-25
    Extra Tube - $5-10
    Tube Patch Kit- $5
    Co2 Inflator/mini pump - $15
    Water bottle cage - $10
    Bring a total of $160-$215

Do those prices seem resasonable?

Also with that it leaves a bike for around $800 or so. I was looking online and it looks like some of the MSRPs in that range are: Trek 1.1, Trek Lexa S (older model), Trek 1.5 (older model), Giant Defy 3, Cannondale CAAD 7 Sora, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 7 Sora/Tiagra (Either One).

As far as I can tell, the difference is in the Shimano Components that are used. I am wondering now what are the major differences between the different sets. Everything I see keeps recommending the 105, what seperates the 105 from the Tiagra or the Soras? Will I notice a difference between the sets being that I am new to cycling and road bikes?

One last question, would it be worth it to pay the extra $300-$400 for a complete 105 bike like the Trek 2.1 or the Giant Defy 1?

Thanks,
    Adam

4. wotnoshoeseh

wotnoshoeseh New Member

You've got to go ride them to find out if the difference is noticeable to you. Basically the pecking order Shimano wise for components is 2200/2300, followed by Sora, then Tiagra, then 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace.
    Have you looked at last year's models? Although the window of opportunity is small now, I saw a few weeks ago a CAAD9 with Tiagra that I could have picked up for ~$800.

Ride bikes with the different components to see if you can notice the difference. If you can notice a difference and want the nicer components then it is cheaper to do that now, than buy the bike with the cheaper components, then upgrade.
    My bike has a 2300 font der., Sora rear derailleur and 2300 levers. It works fine. Buy from a good LBS and some of them will throw in adjustments for life, which will keep everything runnning sweet anyway.

Good luck.