Beginner to Century Rider by August?

MadCatter

Jun 23, 2006
Okay. I know you've all been asked to give advice on training programs time and time again, but from what I've seen, each person asking for advice has been a different age, or weight, or riding level, etc. So.. I'm interested in a century ride (Heatstroke 100 in Nebraska, on August 27th - what an appealing name, huh?). I literally just started biking 3 days ago. I've been blessed with a fast metabolism, which means I have barely any body fat, and I'm young.. however I'm still out of shape as I haven't exersized for 2 years (that was back when I played soccer).

What sort of training program would you all reccomend for me so that I can be as ready as possible for a century ride on August 27th?

I mean, certainly riding my bike is one thing, but without goals to set myself each day/week, I'm not sure what to aim for, and if I'm going at the right pace.

What sorts of foods should I be eating to make my biking experience the best? Favourite fluids?

Thanks so much for all help!

Oh yeah.. p.s. How do I cope with my butt hurting so bad after riding? I found that after riding 25 miles on my first day, my legs weren't sore at all the next day - but my butt was killing me (as was my upper back/shoulder area, but that is an easier fix). Thanks again!

Where to begin ..

First thing is to do a search. Just in the last week, the same question was asked. I posted 3 links I found on google on training for centuries.

The butt hurting thing is normal. It's like hazing. You get over it. It happens to everyone even very experienced riders who, say, take winters off. A century in ~9 weeks is not impossible, but it will take dedication. Maybe youth will help in the sense that you may have an inordinate amount of time to train daily, since I'm guessing you may not have the type of responsibilities some of the older riders may have (wife, kids, jobs, etc).

A few things (you will find these in the links as well):
  • Make sure you are properly fitted to your bike
    • If not, you WILL hurt (neck, back, legs, arms) being in the saddle for that long
  • get the most comfortable seat you can (make sure you like the way they look as being young AND a cyclist, I can bet you are vain, like the rest of us .. older folks)
  • Gradually increase your weekly mileage by 10% (maybe 15% in your case)
  • Make sure that you can comfortably ride 75% of the distance you plan to ride on your century (many organized centuries have bail out options with shorter distances: half a metric, half a century, full metric .. full century); Especially during the penultimate week of your training.
  • Make sure that you find out what liquids and foods agree well with your body as you will need to replenish your reserves on the ride.
  • Your body fat being low means nothing; Actually, it may actually require YOU to make sure you eat more (especially since you say you have a "high metabolism"). There are oodles of relationships out there that tell you how much carbs to ingest per pound of body weight per hour (46 grams comes to mind, but do your own research or listen to the coaches in here)
  • Ride. Ride. Ride
  • Ride some more.
  • Go easy for 5 days before your event. Stay off the bike the day before your ride or do a very easy and short ride.
  • Get sleep before your event.
  • Go at your own pace.
  • Eat. Drink. Or you will bonk and it won't be pretty.
Listen to the others in here. Do a search .. in here and with google.

I'm almost 52 and only began regularly riding again about two months ago. Most of the time my mileage is in the 10-20 mile per day range. Last Saturday I rode exactly 100.07 miles. Yes, it can definitely be done.

Definitely doeable, just keep consistently upping your miles. If you can do 50, you can do 100, though don't expect to set any records. I know several riders in my local club who went 0-100 in the span of 2 months. Train hard and pace yourself, and you'll do it!

So.. this is how much of a beginner I am: I was so absent minded yesterday, that when my boyfriend and I drove up to my house to grab flip-flops to match my skirt (since I only had normal shoes), I left my shoes at the house. We later got back from the movie we went to, the night passed, I woke up.. and realized that my only ride home was my bike (since said boyfriend had already left for a bike ride). I ended up biking 5 miles home in flip-flops (without the toe strap), a biking jersey... and just to make it more amusing for the drivers passing me, a yellow skirt over my biking shorts.

Still think I can make it to 100 miles in time? haha, I'm only joking. Thanks for the encouragement, etc :) I can do it (I just need to remember shoes).