Beginner Training Question

Twittering One

Guest
Hi Beverly,
What's your geo area?

I personally prefer treadmill, over street runnng,
as it's much kinder on the body, eg, knees,
overall impact, etc.

As for you speed question, eg, 5 mph, yes,
I think that's perfectly reasonable.
Do what feels appropriate for you ability,
and it will improve over time.

Meanwhile, as Don will explain, you can do short
fartleks, eg, 30 seconds, intermittantly, of accelerating speed,
and then after a while, your natual pace will increase
toward higher speed.

My philosophy: Run at a pace that allows
good form. And do intervals or strides
to achieve a faster pace.

Welcome to the group.
Beward the nasty ones!
_______
Blog, or dog? Who knows.
But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

"Twittering One" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Beverly,
> What's your geo area?
>
> I personally prefer treadmill, over street runnng,
> as it's much kinder on the body, eg, knees,
> overall impact, etc.

I'm in the southwest Ohio area.

I really prefer being outdoors but there's still snow and ice on the
sidewalks in my neighborhood. Hopefully it will warm up enough to melt
everything.

> As for you speed question, eg, 5 mph, yes,
> I think that's perfectly reasonable.
> Do what feels appropriate for you ability,
> and it will improve over time.
>
> Meanwhile, as Don will explain, you can do short
> fartleks, eg, 30 seconds, intermittantly, of accelerating speed,
> and then after a while, your natual pace will increase
> toward higher speed.

I've done the fartleks on the treadmill quite a bit. It makes it a little
more interesting than just plain walking on it. I also apply a similar
technique to biking.

Thanks

Beverly

> My philosophy: Run at a pace that allows
> good form. And do intervals or strides
> to achieve a faster pace.
>
> Welcome to the group.
> Beward the nasty ones!
> _______
> Blog, or dog? Who knows.
> But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
> http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

>"Twittering One" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi Beverly,
>> What's your geo area?
>>
>> I personally prefer treadmill, over street runnng,
>> as it's much kinder on the body, eg, knees,
>> overall impact, etc.

Plus she's a paranoid schizophrenic, so she's scared to go outside.