Beginner Training Question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Twittering One, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Hi Beverly,
    What's your geo area?

    I personally prefer treadmill, over street runnng,
    as it's much kinder on the body, eg, knees,
    overall impact, etc.

    As for you speed question, eg, 5 mph, yes,
    I think that's perfectly reasonable.
    Do what feels appropriate for you ability,
    and it will improve over time.

    Meanwhile, as Don will explain, you can do short
    fartleks, eg, 30 seconds, intermittantly, of accelerating speed,
    and then after a while, your natual pace will increase
    toward higher speed.

    My philosophy: Run at a pace that allows
    good form. And do intervals or strides
    to achieve a faster pace.

    Welcome to the group.
    Beward the nasty ones!
    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows.
    But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

    Tags:

  2. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    "Twittering One" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi Beverly,
    > What's your geo area?
    >
    > I personally prefer treadmill, over street runnng,
    > as it's much kinder on the body, eg, knees,
    > overall impact, etc.

    I'm in the southwest Ohio area.

    I really prefer being outdoors but there's still snow and ice on the
    sidewalks in my neighborhood. Hopefully it will warm up enough to melt
    everything.

    > As for you speed question, eg, 5 mph, yes,
    > I think that's perfectly reasonable.
    > Do what feels appropriate for you ability,
    > and it will improve over time.
    >
    > Meanwhile, as Don will explain, you can do short
    > fartleks, eg, 30 seconds, intermittantly, of accelerating speed,
    > and then after a while, your natual pace will increase
    > toward higher speed.

    I've done the fartleks on the treadmill quite a bit. It makes it a little
    more interesting than just plain walking on it. I also apply a similar
    technique to biking.

    Thanks

    Beverly

  3. On 2005-02-01, Twittering One <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Meanwhile, as Don will explain, you can do short
    > fartleks, eg, 30 seconds, intermittantly, of accelerating speed,

    Or if I'm feeling cranky, I might just say, "Ask Dr. Google" (-;

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. >"Twittering One" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Hi Beverly,
    >> What's your geo area?
    >>
    >> I personally prefer treadmill, over street runnng,
    >> as it's much kinder on the body, eg, knees,
    >> overall impact, etc.

    Plus she's a paranoid schizophrenic, so she's scared to go outside.