Beginner Training

confusedxx

Apr 5, 2005
I used to do a bit of cycling, but about 15 months ago, I broke my knee and leg while skiing. I am still recovering the strenght now, but the flexiblity is back to normal.

I got back on my bike and did about 20km on mostly flat land and it felt so good. But each small incline I could feel the strain in the knee and weakness in the muscles. So i know I need to continue with strength training. Unfortunately I work way too much right now and do not train much at all.

What I am looking for is a bit of advice on beginning to train on a low time committment basis. I plan on doing strenght training 1-2x a week and I can go cycling outdoors about 1x week.

So the only way I see to improve right now is with a home trainer. What would be the best home trainer (I heard there is some crazy super stuff with virtual reality that accurately simulates mountains, etc....)??? This would be cool to look at but I am far from doing mountains :D

Secondly, besides just riding and cycling, I under to know of a book that was written by a guy from CycleVets (SF club) about how to train for cycling. He had 1 leg cycling in different gears, etc. Can anyone recommed good book for cycle training especially on a home trainer?

Thanks!

The only book I have read is Training and Racing with the Power Meter. That says alot as I hate to read.

I can give you advice but everything is in there and if you have access to a gym with an erg machine, you can start with that as that is all you need. Before you start though I would check with the doc and make sure he feels you are well enough to begin.

One of the reasons I started cycling was because I broke my ankle so I know where you are coming from.

Good luck...

-js

confusedxx said:
I used to do a bit of cycling, but about 15 months ago, I broke my knee and leg while skiing. I am still recovering the strenght now, but the flexiblity is back to normal.

I got back on my bike and did about 20km on mostly flat land and it felt so good. But each small incline I could feel the strain in the knee and weakness in the muscles. So i know I need to continue with strength training. Unfortunately I work way too much right now and do not train much at all.

What I am looking for is a bit of advice on beginning to train on a low time committment basis. I plan on doing strenght training 1-2x a week and I can go cycling outdoors about 1x week.

So the only way I see to improve right now is with a home trainer. What would be the best home trainer (I heard there is some crazy super stuff with virtual reality that accurately simulates mountains, etc....)??? This would be cool to look at but I am far from doing mountains :D

Secondly, besides just riding and cycling, I under to know of a book that was written by a guy from CycleVets (SF club) about how to train for cycling. He had 1 leg cycling in different gears, etc. Can anyone recommed good book for cycle training especially on a home trainer?

Thanks!