Beginner - upgrade help

Joco22

Oct 9, 2013
Hello, I just got into cycling this past July and am now hooked. I try and do at least 2 rides per week, average about 20 miles per ride. I have a 2013 Specialized allez compact with stock components. I would like to upgrade the components, however am clueless as to where to begin, estimated costs, etc. Something that would help on the hills would be great....the shifting is a little clunky as well, but I do love the bike. Please help to steer me I the right direction.

This is a recurring question here. Use the search feature to see past recommendations.

Are you using clipless pedals and shoes? That is a good place to upgrade any bicycle.

Also consider better training tools, like a bicycle computer, gps, heart rate monitor, etc.

Sorry Maydog, I am so new that I wasn't sure if specific components/upgrades would be recommended to accompany specific bikes...I will definitely take some time to search the forums more. I do have clipless pedals and shoes. Using Mapmyride to track all of my workouts as well. I was looking for more of actual upgrade advice in terms of better shifters, wheels, crank, etc. What will I see a difference with...any impact on speed, climbs, smoother shifting, etc.

At this point, the only thing that I think might be worth upgrading are the shitty entry-level Axis wheels. Assuming your Allez has a 9 speed Sora drivetrain, you won't see much gain from upgrading to 10 speed, such as Tiagra or 105. Better to ride what you have, and save for a whole bike upgrade down the road. Your shifting may be "clunky" because it needs adjustment. There's a wear-in period with cables, and after a few hundred miles they settle in, and they need to be adjusted for this settling in process. Usually happens after a few hundred miles. Most LBS will do it for free, if you bought the bike there. If your shifting is clunky only when you try to shift while climbing, the lower level shifters sometimes don't shift well under a load, especially if you're standing and hitting the pedals hard.Try to get in the habit of spinning a faster cadence in a lower gear right from the start of the climb. Over time, you'll get the right feel for it. Shifters work better with lighter loads on the drive train.

Thanks Mpre53, appreciate your time and insight! Will definitely have the shifting checked out. In weighing options for upgrades, I also have an option to buy a pretty much new 2011 Cannondale synapse 6 carbon for $1000. Although I am enjoying the Allez, I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into it if upgrading. In researching carbon bikes, I am very surprised to read all of the concerns with the care/caution needed in handling a carbon frame. Do I really need to worry about the strength of a carbon bike? I assumed they were far superior to aluminum.

Joco22 said:
Thanks Mpre53, appreciate your time and insight! Will definitely have the shifting checked out. In weighing options for upgrades, I also have an option to buy a pretty much new 2011 Cannondale synapse 6 carbon for $1000. Although I am enjoying the Allez, I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into it if upgrading. In researching carbon bikes, I am very surprised to read all of the concerns with the care/caution needed in handling a carbon frame. Do I really need to worry about the strength of a carbon bike? I assumed they were far superior to aluminum.
Carbon fiber frames aren't necessarily better than aluminum, steel, titanium, or magnesium frames. Frame material doesn't define how a bike performs or feels on the road. What's more important is the bike's geometry, it's construction, it's Q.C., and how it fits you. Regarding the 2011 Cannondale Synapse, is it new or used? If used, how many miles are on it, and what components does it have? Also note that upgrading your Allez is not necessarily a waste of money. First, as you stated, you are enjoying the bike. Second, any upgrades you make can be put on another bike/frame later.

Bear in mind that the Synapse is what's known as an "endurance" or relaxed geometry frame. I don't have the specs in front of me, but it probably has a higher head tube, less reach to the bars, a longer wheelbase, and more rake to the fork than the Allez. You'll probably be more upright while riding. You may prefer it, or you might not. The better aluminum frames, like the E5 frame on the top of the Allez model line, or Cannondale CAAD 10 frame, are very close to carbon in weight. They may ride a little differently, but they're still good frames. Carbon isn't as fragile as some people may think. You don't have to treat it with kid gloves.

Bear in mind that the Synapse is what's known as an "endurance" or relaxed geometry frame. I don't have the specs in front of me, but it probably has a higher head tube, less reach to the bars, a longer wheelbase, and more rake to the fork than the Allez. You'll probably be more upright while riding. You may prefer it, or you might not. The better aluminum frames, like the E5 frame on the top of the Allez model line, or Cannondale CAAD 10 frame, are very close to carbon in weight. They may ride a little differently, but they're still good frames. Carbon isn't as fragile as some people may think. You don't have to treat it with kid gloves.

Quote: Originally Posted by Joco22 .

Hello, I just got into cycling this past July and am now hooked. I try and do at least 2 rides per week, average about 20 miles per ride. I have a 2013 Specialized allez compact with stock components. I would like to upgrade the components, however am clueless as to where to begin, estimated costs, etc. Something that would help on the hills would be great....the shifting is a little clunky as well, but I do love the bike. Please help to steer me I the right direction.
I suspect that we have the same bike... I allready have 3000+km on mine and I also love it...

There is only one thing that I dont like, that it doesnt have enough gears for steep climbs. Its a 2x8 Shimano 2300 and I could use a couple more gears on some climbs, I also found out that Shimano parts (especially brifters) are not very repairable, especially in the lower lines, but they are the norm around here so they are easier to find parts. Despite that I think that when I upgrade the bike I will upgrade it to a SRAM Apex group, 2x10 and something with a large top gear so I can climb with a higher cadence.

I am also just waiting for the tires to finally break down so I can upgrade to some foldable conti's...
smile.png
From the stuff I heard for them I suspect that they will be awesome.
smile.png

And maybe get a couple of koolstop braking pads.

alienator said:
Regarding the 2011 Cannondale Synapse, is it new or used? If used, how many miles are on it, and what components does it have?
Without getting into the background story of the Cannondale, I have every reason to believe it is basically new, less than 20 miles on it. Stock components, SRAM shifters, tektro brakes. Good to know that I don't have to treat Carbon with kid gloves. I may check it out to compare the feel.

Volnix said:
There is only one thing that I dont like, that it doesnt have enough gears for steep climbs. Its a 2x8 Shimano 2300 and I could use a couple more gears on some climbs...
I agree with this and thank you for your thoughts on the upgrades! Bottom line is that I have enough miles in that I know I want to stick with this and want to either upgrade components or the bike itself, whichever is the most bang for my buck and stick with whatever I choose for a few years.

Quote: Originally Posted by Joco22 .

I agree with this and thank you for your thoughts on the upgrades!

Bottom line is that I have enough miles in that I know I want to stick with this and want to either upgrade components or the bike itself, whichever is the most bang for my buck and stick with whatever I choose for a few years.
An SRAM apex group complete is about 350 euro... It will make a nicer ride for climbs and the Allez is not thaaat heavy. It is heavier then a CF similar bike though for sure...
Maybe you can also upgrade the fork to carbon to make it a bit lighter. But if upgrades totalling more then 500euro then you might wanna consider keeping it as it is, or selling it towards funding a carbon fiber bike.

On the other hand even though Specialized doesnt offer their A1 aluminium Allez's with anything more then Tiagra (it used to be 105 on earlier models and the high end secteur A1 aluminium ones have higher end components), you could upgrade it as much as you like and then just buy a frame later and swap the components.

It would also help if you could sell the 2300 groupset. If you get for example 150euros for it then an SRAM Apex group will be just 200euros and you can also use it on some steeper climbs.

Quote: Originally Posted by Volnix .
I suspect that we have the same bike... I allready have 3000+km on mine and I also love it...

There is only one thing that I dont like, that it doesnt have enough gears for steep climbs. Its a 2x8 Shimano 2300 and I could use a couple more gears on some climbs, I also found out that Shimano parts (especially brifters) are not very repairable, especially in the lower lines, but they are the norm around here so they are easier to find parts. Despite that I think that when I upgrade the bike I will upgrade it to a SRAM Apex group, 2x10 and something with a large top gear so I can climb with a higher cadence.

I am also just waiting for the tires to finally break down so I can upgrade to some foldable conti's...
smile.png
From the stuff I heard for them I suspect that they will be awesome.
smile.png

And maybe get a couple of koolstop braking pads.

The big problem with 2300 is that the rear derailleur is limited to a 26t big cog. Most 2300 bikes come with a 12-25 cassette, so it's not a huge difference. Apex can handle a 32t granny cog. Whether it's worth the upgrade depends on what we're talking about when it comes to hills, and where a rider is in his development. You've reached the point where you're fit enough to know whether a 25t cog with a 34 small ring gets you up hills once you develop as a rider, at 3000+ km. The OP has only been riding twice a week, max 20 miles, for a little over 2 months. Without any criticism intended, hills tend to get easier as you develop better fitness. It's tempting to try the quick fix of a different drive train to make hills easier, but in 2 more months, and more frequent riding, it may not be necessary. 350E is still a lot of money, and unless the OP can do the work himself, and has the proper tools to swap a crankset and cassette, you can add in labor. Another couple hundred Euro, probably. And if the rider lives in the US, convert Euros to USD for his cost. Probably close to what he paid for the bike.

The cheaper way may be to swap out the RD and cassette for an 8 speed MTB set.

Quote: Originally Posted by mpre53 .

The big problem with 2300 is that the rear derailleur is limited to a 26t big cog. Most 2300 bikes come with a 12-25 cassette, so it's not a huge difference. Apex can handle a 32t granny cog. Whether it's worth the upgrade depends on what we're talking about when it comes to hills, and where a rider is in his development. You've reached the point where you're fit enough to know whether a 25t cog with a 34 small ring gets you up hills once you develop as a rider, at 3000+ km. The OP has only been riding twice a week, max 20 miles, for a little over 2 months. Without any criticism intended, hills tend to get easier as you develop better fitness. It's tempting to try the quick fix of a different drive train to make hills easier, but in 2 more months, and more frequent riding, it may not be necessary. 350E is still a lot of money, and unless the OP can do the work himself, and has the proper tools to swap a crankset and cassette, you can add in labor. Another couple hundred Euro, probably. And if the rider lives in the US, convert Euros to USD for his cost. Probably close to what he paid for the bike.

The cheaper way may be to swap out the RD and cassette for an 8 speed MTB set.

Hmmm basically with the biggest rear gear its impossible for me to keep a cadence of 90rpm on a lets say mountain-climb (no idea about the slope) unless I put some serious effort... So I woulldnt mind the extra gears...

Couple hundred for labour??? Basically if you buy the parts from a shop they usually just swap them for you for no additional cost here... If you get the parts from somewhere else and ask just for assistance from a mechanic they charge something between 5 and 15 euro...

Btw... you probably need a new chain too if you put extra gears?

Volnix said:
Hmmm basically with the biggest rear gear its impossible for me to keep a cadence of 90rpm on a lets say mountain-climb (no idea about the slope) unless I put some serious effort... So I woulldnt mind the extra gears... Couple hundred for labour??? Basically if you buy the parts from a shop they usually just swap them for you for no additional cost here... If you get the parts from somewhere else and ask just for assistance from a mechanic they charge something between 5 and 15 euro... Btw... you probably need a new chain too if you put extra gears?    
Yes, if you go from 8 to 10 speed, you'll need a 10 speed chain. But chains are the least expensive components of the drive train. Maybe SRAM includes a chain when you buy a whole group. Here in the States, if you buy a group through a shop, if they don't charge labor, you'll likely pay full MSRP for the group. Buy online, and the shop will charge for labor. It's a tough business these days in the US. Between mega-shops like Performance and REI, and online competition, lots of small shops are right on the edge. Servicing bikes keeps the lights on for many.

Volnix said:
Hmmm basically with the biggest rear gear its impossible for me to keep a cadence of 90rpm on a lets say mountain-climb (no idea about the slope) unless I put some serious effort... So I woulldnt mind the extra gears... Couple hundred for labour??? Basically if you buy the parts from a shop they usually just swap them for you for no additional cost here... If you get the parts from somewhere else and ask just for assistance from a mechanic they charge something between 5 and 15 euro... Btw... you probably need a new chain too if you put extra gears?    
Yes, if you go from 8 to 10 speed, you'll need a 10 speed chain. But chains are the least expensive components of the drive train. Maybe SRAM includes a chain when you buy a whole group. Here in the States, if you buy a group through a shop, if they don't charge labor, you'll likely pay full MSRP for the group. Buy online, and the shop will charge for labor. It's a tough business these days in the US. Between mega-shops like Performance and REI, and online competition, lots of small shops are right on the edge. Servicing bikes keeps the lights on for many.

Quote: Originally Posted by mpre53 .

Hum hum humbug!
big-smile.png
I am so getting a SRAM apex group if I get the chance...

0.jpg