Beginner....What to eat?

buzzy

Jan 27, 2003
Ok, I have only been riding about 4 weeks now at about 6 miles 5 days a week. I am 240 lbs, and I am really trying to shed some pounds. I have realized that my body really likes carbs and also likes to store them for later. (If you know what I mean) I ride in the morning before I eat breakfast (which is one package of honey nut oatmeal). My daily diet consists of very little fatty foods. :)

Now to my question. What can I eat before I ride to help me not bonk during my ride? I know it's only 6 miles, but pushing 240lbs down the road at about 10-12 mph right now takes a little bit of effort. :) Also, what would be a good supplement that will help out during rides but help me build muscle in my legs and help with fat burning? Or should cyclist use fat burning supplements? I know the bonking has something to do with me not eating before I ride and it's been hours since my last meal, but I don't want to lessen my fat burning.

Thanks in advance for your help.

fat burning supplements are evil! :mad:

carbs aren't your enemy.. the highly processed ones are (white breads/flour, white rice, sugar)

eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread.. slow cooking oatmeal (get ride of the packages 1 minute garbage!), kashi cereal..

of course do this in moderation.. also get your carbs from veggies veggies veggies!

fat is not the enemy either.. as long as it's GOOD fat (i.e. olive oil, olives, avacado) again.. within reason.. NO TRANS FATS (if it says hydrogenated on the package do NOT buy it!)

however i do think you need to eat first, then ride. IMO that is your problem... then if you are hungry again after the ride.. eat some fresh fruit.. healthy and good for you! again.. a reasonable amount!

when i ride saturday and sunday a.m... i get up, eat, then leave about an hour later for my ride.

in the evenings after work i go after dinner (to freaking hot to go any sooner!) again.. waiting at least an hour..

I try to stay away from the highly processed cards, but man the whole wheat stuff (excuse me for saying this) makes me not visit the throne for days plus causes cramps in the lower region.

Don't say bad words like that!!! Never say hydrogenated! We don't buy that either.

I would eat first, then ride, but I get up at 6:15, then on the road at 6:30 when the sun is up enough for drivers to see me well enough, then I come home, scarf food down, then in the shower and out the door by 7:55-8:00. I read somewhere that if you eat after, it burns the stored fat. I guess I will have to move my riding to evenings instead of mornings.

buzzy said:
Ok, I have only been riding about 4 weeks now at about 6 miles 5 days a week. I am 240 lbs, and I am really trying to shed some pounds. I have realized that my body really likes carbs and also likes to store them for later. (If you know what I mean)
You body doesn't store carbs, it stores calories. If you eat too many calories, whether it's fats, protien, or carbs, the excess becomes fat.

I ride in the morning before I eat breakfast (which is one package of honey nut oatmeal). My daily diet consists of very little fatty foods. :)
Don't avoid fats. As someone mentioned above you need fats. Good fats. Olive oil, nuts, fish oils are all good fats.

Now to my question. What can I eat before I ride to help me not bonk during my ride? I know it's only 6 miles, but pushing 240lbs down the road at about 10-12 mph right now takes a little bit of effort.
Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich with a glass of milk. Use whole grain bread, natural no salt, no sugar peanut butter, and sugar free jelly.

:) Also, what would be a good supplement that will help out during rides but help me build muscle in my legs and help with fat burning? Or should cyclist use fat burning supplements?
No supplement will build muscle in your legs. Good food and weights will. Riding will to some extent but not a whole lot.

I know the bonking has something to do with me not eating before I ride and it's been hours since my last meal, but I don't want to lessen my fat burning. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you eat before you ride, you probably won't bonk. Also, stay hydrated. That will keep you from bonking as well.

Mex wrote:
"No supplement will build muscle in your legs. Good food and weights will. Riding will to some extent but not a whole lot."

Really, riding, even in the big ring, won't build your legs? I'm asking because I've just started back to riding and have an upper-body routine at the gym but not lower. Maybe I should add some leg work.?.?.?

buzzy said:
I try to stay away from the highly processed cards, but man the whole wheat stuff (excuse me for saying this) makes me not visit the throne for days plus causes cramps in the lower region.

Don't say bad words like that!!! Never say hydrogenated! We don't buy that either.

I would eat first, then ride, but I get up at 6:15, then on the road at 6:30 when the sun is up enough for drivers to see me well enough, then I come home, scarf food down, then in the shower and out the door by 7:55-8:00. I read somewhere that if you eat after, it burns the stored fat. I guess I will have to move my riding to evenings instead of mornings.

i'm kinda confused about the not visiting.. ahem.. lol! cuz the non processed whole stuff has more fiber in it... however you could always get some metamucil...

my only other suggestion.. get up earlier! i get up at 5 a.m. on weekends so i can eat before a ride.. yes i know it'a weekend and yes it ticks hubby off royally (he HATES mornings! :D ) make oatmeal the night before... saves the cooking time in the morning and then you just warm in up in the microwave...