Beginner

Kris Osborn

Guest
Hi, I am new to mountain biking and I was wondering what Trek bike would be
a good bike to start off on. I Have $400.00. I know that I could afford the
Trek 4300. I wondered if the it a good bike for the money, is it a good bike
for a beginner? Should I go with a different name brand, or should I save
more money(if so what is a better Trek model)? what do you suggest?

Thanks,

kosborn_91

Kris Osborn wrote:
> Hi, I am new to mountain biking and I was wondering what Trek bike would be
> a good bike to start off on. I Have $400.00. I know that I could afford the
> Trek 4300. I wondered if the it a good bike for the money, is it a good bike
> for a beginner? Should I go with a different name brand, or should I save
> more money(if so what is a better Trek model)? what do you suggest?
>
> Thanks,
>
> kosborn_91

Names is for tombstones, baby. Ride that fits you the best, not a
brand. Try a bunch out at different bike shops.

JD

Kris Osborn wrote:
> Hi, I am new to mountain biking and I was wondering what Trek bike would be
> a good bike to start off on. I Have $400.00. I know that I could afford the
> Trek 4300. I wondered if the it a good bike for the money, is it a good bike
> for a beginner? Should I go with a different name brand, or should I save
> more money(if so what is a better Trek model)? what do you suggest?
>
> Thanks,
>
> kosborn_91

$400 is a bit lean to get a real good bike, but it'll get you something
that'll take a bit of pounding and keep going. Stay away from Walmart,
go to a good bike shop or three. A "good bike shop," at a minimum,
should be well-stocked with much more expensive bikes. You'll be buying
their cheapest, probably. Make them sell you a bike that fits (they
should know how) and set it up for you. Don't try to ride it across
Colorado, and you should be okay.

JD's right: the name means nothing.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

On Mon, 08 May 2006 04:29:55 GMT, "Kris Osborn"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I am new to mountain biking and I was wondering what Trek bike would be
>a good bike to start off on. I Have $400.00. I know that I could afford the
>Trek 4300. I wondered if the it a good bike for the money, is it a good bike
>for a beginner? Should I go with a different name brand, or should I save
>more money(if so what is a better Trek model)? what do you suggest?
>
>Thanks,
>
>kosborn_91

I have a very old fuji I ride around on. Steal, no suspension, etc...

Not having been looking at a new bike in years, I chated with the guy
who runs my LBS. They keep my fuji running. I found after telling
him my riding style, which you should share, he recommended front
suspension, and double walled rims ($300-400 range with HARO he
suggested). Then as I moved up in price he added what other features
I should look at in order, break way rederailer, then disk brakes,
etc, etc.... It seems that I got educated at what was availible based
on what I do with my bike.

You might want to do the same, and get a little time with your LBS
owner/manager.

hth,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

You might find a Giant Warp DS in your price range. Often bike shops have
brand new bikes that still remain unsold from prior model years at a good
discount. The Warp is a little heavy (around 32 lbs for a large) but at
that is still very raceable for beginners, rideable in ALL conditions &
easily upgradable. You dont need disc brakes, but getting a full (front &
rear) suspension will give you the fun experience that will have you stuck
on the sport permanently.

news:[email protected]...

AJH said:
The Warp is a little heavy (around 32 lbs for a large) but at
that is still very raceable for beginners, rideable in ALL conditions &
easily upgradable. You dont need disc brakes, but getting a full (front &
rear) suspension will give you the fun experience that will have you stuck
on the sport permanently.

Bad advcie IMHO. Unless you are spending top dollar (£1000 upwards) do not even consider getting a full susser. A decent rear shock on its OWN costs upwards of £200 and in your case that would be half your budget gone. Getting a cheap bike with rear suspension serves no added benefit in my opinion since the overall quality of components that you get is lowered significantly. Save splashing out on full suspension until you know that you will enjoy it and are prepared to splash the cash big time.

If I was in your position I would be looking to buy a hardtail (front suspension only), possibly second hand or last years model, but almost certainly not brand new as this way you get much better value for money. I would be looking for a good frame that has disk mounts (but no disks installed) that was light, a decent wheelset and a reasonable fork. The rest can be upgraded as you get into it, but by doing that you have the basics and the most expensive components covered from the outset.

You got to start somewhere. Trek is a start and you can move on when
the time comes.

this is true. but why limit yourself to trek? Follow the advice above and go to a GOOD LBS (one that has lots of shiny bikes that cost thousands) and talk to them and they will help you if they are any good. don't restrict yourself to any brand.