Beginner

Pchuckie

Oct 23, 2016
Started riding in July on a mountain bike, and switched to a Scott road bike late Aug. My speed avg made a huge jump with the bike change. I currently avg 18 mph solo over a 18 mile loop near the house. The other day I rode with someone and the avg rose 19mph.

I can't ride Tuesdays, Wednesdays I can squeeze in 7 miles time wise. Thursday through Monday I don't have any time restrictions other than sunlight. I don't work Saturday, Sunday, or Monday so those days I try to do longer rides. I'm trying to develop a riding plan to increase my distance and speed. The furthest I've ridden is 32 miles. I have a heart rate monitor. I'm 43 and as long as I keep my heart rate under 165 I don't struggle to much with distance. My heart rate while riding at 18 mph is around 165 on flat ground. It seems if I go over 175 more than once or twice it really kills my endurance. It's mostly flat where I live. On days I'm short on time or Daylight I ride 4.5 mIle loop around my neighborhood as fast as I can without regard to heart rate. On that short route I usually avg 19.5mph, but my goal is 20 mph.

I've raced Karts and motorcycles in the past, competing is on my radar at some point. Winter riding here in NJ might get a little difficult come winter. I plan to transition to a treadmill if it gets crappy outside.

You didn't ask a question, so what is your question? Are you wondering how to go faster? If so then do an internet search on interval training for cyclists. Are you trying to ride further? if so do an internet search on how to train for century. Do you want to do both, ride faster and further? Combine the two above, I'll tell you how in just a second.

Here's a couple of sites to get you started:

http://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/quick-cycling-workouts-for-power-and-endurance/slide/4

http://www.kintera.org/htmlcontent.asp?cid=54755

How to combine those is simply take the century training schedule and do the interval training routine on the days that say brisk. The one thing I know you're probably hyperventilating about is how low the miles are the first week, not really that low though if you consider Saturday is a 30 mile ride. But this chart is design to take you to a 100 mile ride without hurting you, if you go to fast the chances of hurting something will increase, so just take the chart as it is and do it.

Of course if you don't have time to do the chart miles almost every day then once or twice a week, not back to back days either, do interval training, that by itself will help make you faster.

Don't neglect doing core muscle workouts either.

How to ride faster and farther is the goal.
THanks for the reply, I'll look at your links

Started riding in July on a mountain bike, and switched to a Scott road bike late Aug. My speed avg made a huge jump with the bike change. I currently avg 18 mph solo over a 18 mile loop near the house. The other day I rode with someone and the avg rose 19mph.

I can't ride Tuesdays, Wednesdays I can squeeze in 7 miles time wise. Thursday through Monday I don't have any time restrictions other than sunlight. I don't work Saturday, Sunday, or Monday so those days I try to do longer rides. I'm trying to develop a riding plan to increase my distance and speed. The furthest I've ridden is 32 miles. I have a heart rate monitor. I'm 43 and as long as I keep my heart rate under 165 I don't struggle to much with distance. My heart rate while riding at 18 mph is around 165 on flat ground. It seems if I go over 175 more than once or twice it really kills my endurance. It's mostly flat where I live. On days I'm short on time or Daylight I ride 4.5 mIle loop around my neighborhood as fast as I can without regard to heart rate. On that short route I usually avg 19.5mph, but my goal is 20 mph.

I've raced Karts and motorcycles in the past, competing is on my radar at some point. Winter riding here in NJ might get a little difficult come winter. I plan to transition to a treadmill if it gets crappy outside.

Does your route have traffic lights, stop signs, cars, etc? Speed can be adversely affected by those external environmental factors.

The best way to improve speed is with 20 minute (x2) and 5 minute (x4) intervals. Heart rate is ok for 20 minute intervals, but for 5 minutes, it takes about 1-2 minutes for your heart rate to reach the target. Try to quickly and you'll overshoot your desired intensity. Try to do the intervals at constant intensity, without stopping. If you have a route that allows you to do that, great. If not, try indoors on a trainer.

I'm surrounded by state forrest, so no traffic lights, a couple stop signs though. They usually don't require a stop, traffic is pretty minimal. The one main road I ride has a bicycle lane, the other two the shoulder is wider than car width.

I'm surrounded by state forrest, so no traffic lights, a couple stop signs though. They usually don't require a stop, traffic is pretty minimal. The one main road I ride has a bicycle lane, the other two the shoulder is wider than car width.

You must be in South Jersey. No such green space in North Jersey. My other suggestion is to find a local cycling club. Nothing better than more experienced people telling you what to do while it's happening. It'll help you be able to ride 20-22 mph in a group and be smooth. When spring rolls around, see if you can get over to Greentree (73 & 70). I think they're still doing Tues/Thurs training crits over there.

This is greentree: http://qcwcycling.org/area-rides/
I've never done it myself, always stayed on the PA side of the river, but a lot of guys from QCW do it. Hang on for as many as you can. Search for some local cycling clubs and ask those guys if they're still doing it.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Shame I don't work in Philly anymore because it sounds pretty active. I got tired if the 40 mile drive a couple years ago. How is the riding in Fairmount park?
The death March ride looks like a doozy

My favorite rides were always out of the art museum area. The 5 mile return on Kelly drive is always fast, 28-30 mph. They have hills on the south side of the Schuykill, short efforts which require about 5-10 minutes. Nothing like out in California. Took me 2 hrs to go up Mt Wilson, which tops out over 6000', with about 4200' elevation gain.