Beginner

beckham21

Jun 1, 2004
Whoa..ignore my other post if it happend..Ok lets re-do this...I'm an 18 yr old athletic male going off to college in the fall..I jog atleast 5 miles every night and play soccer during the day..Jogging is getting old and I want to bump up to cycling!..I talk to a lot of people including my friends dad who is a hardcore cyclist..He told me I should get a mountain bike just like everyone else says..But, I want a road bike..I want to go far distances and fast...When I go off to college I intend on using it as well I will probably be riding it to work also..Can you help me out ehere I really want a road bike, because I want to get into the sport I already had a mountain bike once there no fun so should I go ahead w/ getting a road bike like I want or listen to what everyone else says.

Welcome. :)

You should get what you want. You'll be much happier that way. Road biking vs mountain biking is quite a different thing, so I cant really advise one way or the other.

People are suggesting a mountain bike, I think, in the terms you describe, probably because they see you using it to commute to school and work. Its a bit less practical to do that on a road bike.

Road bikes tend to be a little less friendly with traffic and roads that are not well maintained. I dont usually ride mine to specific places -- I simply ride it, ie drive it to one of several road routes I've scouted that I really like to train on.

Depends a lot on how you wish to use a bike.

It sounds like you're pretty well informed and you know what you want. Get the road bike. Who cares what others say? Enjoy your new ride!

Go for the road bike or you'll always be wondering what it would be like on a road bike. I think it's more of a personal choice IMO. For myself I own a road bike and a mountain bike but end up riding 95% of the time on the road bike. I keep the mountain bike for those times when I want to ride in the dirt or when I ride with the kids (slow). I commute to work on my road bike and just love the feeling of going fast.

The most important thing.....Have Fun!

Dan.

Originally posted by beckham21
Whoa..ignore my other post if it happend..Ok lets re-do this...I'm an 18 yr old athletic male going off to college in the fall..I jog atleast 5 miles every night and play soccer during the day..Jogging is getting old and I want to bump up to cycling!..I talk to a lot of people including my friends dad who is a hardcore cyclist..He told me I should get a mountain bike just like everyone else says..But, I want a road bike..I want to go far distances and fast...When I go off to college I intend on using it as well I will probably be riding it to work also..Can you help me out ehere I really want a road bike, because I want to get into the sport I already had a mountain bike once there no fun so should I go ahead w/ getting a road bike like I want or listen to what everyone else says.
I'm sort of new to cycling myself, but I would say get what suits you, not what other people are telling you to get. If you plan to go off road, then of course you'll need a mountain bike!

Malanc

A road bike has multiple hand positions for longer rides and narrower tires for less rolling resistance. It may also be a bit lighter.

A mountain bike has a lower set of gears, making inclines easier, but reducing top speed. You can add bar ends to get more hand positions and tires that are smooth (at least in the middle) and increase the tire pressure to have less rolling resistance. You can change the large chainwheel or cogset to get different gearing.

You are a college student. Most don't have unlimited funds. You can get what fits your budget. I'd recommend buying a good working, well constructed (once expensive) used bike rather than a new bike for the same cost. A shiney, new bike may have some other student with less money and scruples wanting to adopt yours. How many times can you afford to replace it?

ok cool...yea I saw this nice FUJI bike at our local bike shop for 495 and its the right size and has a lot of features I like...but would you guys know of any websites that have cheaper bikes..I've looked on ebay and I can't find much,but maybe I need to look harder..and the classifieds on here are for expensive bikes.

ok cool...yea I saw this nice FUJI bike at our local bike shop for 495 and its the right size and has a lot of features I like...but would you guys know of any websites that have cheaper bikes..I've looked on ebay and I can't find much,but maybe I need to look harder..and the classifieds on here are for expensive bikes.

oh and when the weather starts like snow, rain, etc..would you recommend taking a road bike (do they have special tires for weather?) or just go ahead and take a piece of **** bike

I had the same quandary when I last replaced my bike a few years ago. I was using a rigid mountain bike for my daily commute which is 8 miles each way. I was finding the bike was not as comfortable as I would like, so I checked out some road bikes. These were great to ride, but I seriously doubted they would hold up on London roads for long. So as a compromise, I bought a decent touring bike, it has all the features of the road bike, like multiple hand positions, STI shifters, narrow tyres and increased speed (admittedly not as fast as the road bikes!) with the added features of tougher wheels, less rigid frame, which means my @rse doesn't get too sore and a very comfortable riding position.

Another thing worth considering, if you can afford it, is to get at least the back wheel rebuilt by hand, this really does make a difference to it's strength. I've done about 6000 miles on mine and they haven't needed any attention, best £80 I spent.

I still keep the mountain bike, but it generally only comes out a couple of times a year, each time I can't wait to get back on my tourer.:cool:

u should or u can try road biking.... the problem is whether u r really interested in tis sport...i love mountain biking and i will use all my spare time in the saddle...u can try out the sport using a cheap road bike so tat u would not waste money

Just go buy the Fuji -- what model is it? For the money, you aren't likely to get a much better deal. How do you like the LBS? (local bike shop) The shop is way more important than the brand of bike. Realisticly, it's very easy to walk into almost any good bike shop and plunk down $500 and not get a good commuter bike. It's money well spent