Beginners - buying new or second hand?

Buy used at a reliable bike shop and their will be no problem.
Most of the people sell the used buy because of some problems and that is the main problem. There are many reliable shops in my locality but I just don't prefer to buy the second hand bikes. There is no point of buying a second hand bike if I can afford a new one.

Most of the people sell the used buy because of some problems and that is the main problem. There are many reliable shops in my locality but I just don't prefer to buy the second hand bikes. There is no point of buying a second hand bike if I can afford a new one.

Again...A reliable shop is never going to sell you a dud on purpose. They inspect and adjust every bike that leaves their stable. Its fine that you would never buy used, but its illogical advice to give a first time buyer. The difference between a new and a used bike? One day out on the road. They're plenty of coach potatoes who watch the tour de france one day and try to impersonate Froome for a week or two....Until they realize that cycling is hard work. Besides shops, these are the types to buy from. Not trying to be rude, just the way I see it.

There's a lot of people that keep saying you should NEVER but a used bike, but I don't think it's all that simple. Sometimes, depending on where you buy the bike from, you can get some good bargains available.

As long as you get good advice from who you're buying the bike off, and you trust what they say, you can safely buy a second hand bike without any real issues.

If she can afford to buy new, then do it. If you can afford to buy a Lamborghini, why go for something cheaper when it's not going to hurt you to buy expensive? I had others give me advice about how I should go about purchasing something that I really wanted.

When I got my first bike, I remember looking at the least expensive and comparing them to the more expensive. I went with the bike I was most comfortable with, and it wasn't the cheapest.

Reactions: Veater
You do obviously go with the bike you feel most comfortable with, but at the same time I still don't see the point of paying a lot for a bike if you're not sure if you're even going to take up cycling as full time hobby. As with most forms of transport, once you've bought something and then come to sell it, you'll find that the value as depreciated a lot, so if you can afford to take a loss then that's fine, but if not, then it IS something to think about when deciding what bike to pick.

New would be more expensive but you'd get a warranty if anything goes wrong. With second hand bikes... well, anything could go wrong. I say if you don't have friends who know how to work on them or could help inspect before being then I'd get a new one.

New would be more expensive but you'd get a warranty if anything goes wrong. With second hand bikes... well, anything could go wrong. I say if you don't have friends who know how to work on them or could help inspect before being then I'd get a new one.

If you're buying second hand because you're only just taking up cycling, then it essential to make sure that you do take somebody who is more experienced with you to give the bike a thorough check before you buy. If you're buying a second hand bike form a cyclist, then more often than not you'll find that they are pretty trust worthy, but there are some unscrupulous sellers around who pretend they are cyclists when really they're only traders and interested in making a profit at your expense.