Beginner's Help

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by NinjaGigolo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. NinjaGigolo

NinjaGigolo New Member

Here is my situation. I am 28, seriously out of shape, unless round is a shape. I am 6'1, 215.

I have been looking at getting a spin bike for several months. My goal is to get strong enough to eventually do some road biking. After talking with a friend, it was suggested that instead of dropping 1000 on a spin bike, I should just buy a road bike and good trainer. It would be strictly indoor training for several months until I build endurance/strength to take it out on the road.

Is this a good idea? I have never been especially good at riding bikes and am not sure if I should go road or hybrid either.

Any thoughts are aprreciated.

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

I think a road bike and a trainer are a good idea, however I would probably limit the trainer use to the times when it just isn't possible to ride outside due to weather conditions.

You should go to bike shops in your area and test ride the different types of bikes ( road, hybrid, etc ) to see which type, brand, and model appeals to you the most and fits your budget.

Get a bike and start riding it on the streets or bike paths. It doesn't matter if you can only ride it around the block at first, you'll just keep improving everytime you ride. If you eat well and ride regularly you'll build stamina and strength, so you'll be able to ride farther and faster.

Then on rainy days you can put your bike on the trainer and still get a pretty good workout..

3. NinjaGigolo

NinjaGigolo New Member

Is there a reason the trainer is not as good as getting out on the road? Me feeling is that a 45 minute ride on a trainer is going to build more strength and endurance than 15 - 20 min on the road where I am going to get frustrated on even small hills. Also, I leave for work at 6:45 in the morning and am way to tired to ride when I get home, so the early morning workout on the trainer is my plan. I am a teacher and my goal is to be strong enough by the time school is out for the summer (come on June 3!!!) to get out on the road a lot.

I went ton the local bike shop on the way home from work and the guy I talked to said I was probably looking for a fitness bike. I think he described it as a road bike with a cross handlebar. Do the thin tires make it hard to handle? Any thoughts on road vs fitness bikes?

4. Steve_A

Steve_A Member

Reading both your and Paramount's comments, I would suggest that you go ahead and use the trainer during the colder months, and get outdoors on the bike when the weather is better. My experience with indoor riding is that it's more strenuous, therefore a "better workout", but very boring. I think you'll find that once you get outdoors, assuming you have decent roads to ride on, you will enjoy that a lot more. You can make your outdoor riding as rigorous as you like, or vary it. You will find a lot of advice on training here.

5. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Ninja,
    Welcome to the forums and good luck with your new quest to get fit. I would suggest that you get out and ride on the road ASAP. The best way to judge where your are where you are going is to get out there and do it. You need to knock down the mental barriers that are in your way. Things like you dont have time or are too tired can be overcome by just getting out there and riding your bike. How do you know that you will be frustrated when you can get out there and become confident by reaching new goals.
    Trainers are a good tool to use when conditions are not cooperating. The best way to measure your results will be riding your bike out on the trails or roadways.

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I agree that you need to get out on the road, weather permitting. Unlike Steve, my best workouts are out on the roads and trails. I don't know where you are at, but most areas have a rail trail or two, and those are generally flat and a good place to start. As far as hills go, start with small ones and practice climbing. You cannot replicate riding outdoors on a trainer. As Steve stated, riding a trainer is the ultimate in boring activities.

When you are using your trainer, make sure a fan is blowing on you so that you are able to keep cool. If you don't like the air blowing strongly on you, then put the fan further away from you but you want to keep the air around you moving. This allows your body to develop efficient sweating capabilities so that you won't be swimming in sweat when warmer weather gets here. Also make sure that you keep yourself hydrated.

When I am on the trainer, I take my laptop and put it on a stand that I made for it in front of my bike. I can read and do some limited surfing if I am just logging miles for endurance. If I am doing trainer intervals or anything strenuous, I just watch a movie or listen to music on it.