Beginners Road Bike - Between $1000 & $1500 AU

Sando

Jun 22, 2006
Hi all

I am going to be buying a road bike and want to spend between $1000 & $1500.

Is fist hand or second hand a good option?

I am currently riding a Giant Mountain bike and would like another bike for my commute to and from work in Melbourne which is approx 100km per week.

Can anybody with more experience than myself assist with this?

Thank you :)

As a miniumum in a new bike look for-

Decent wheels
105-10 speed Groupset (best value groupset IMO)
Alloy frame
Money left over to get clipless shoes and pedals. You can get MTB shoes and pedals and use them on your MTB as well.

Sando said:
Hi all

I am going to be buying a road bike and want to spend between $1000 & $1500.

Is fist hand or second hand a good option?

I am currently riding a Giant Mountain bike and would like another bike for my commute to and from work in Melbourne which is approx 100km per week.

Can anybody with more experience than myself assist with this?

Thank you :)

I agree, at $1500, it's really the entry level for most brands and hence there's not a lot of options to play with. Good wheels, 105 components and a decent alloy frame is all that can be asked for. Visit a few LBS and see what they stock and compare. Alternatively, buy second hand, I would and get to a better frame and groupset. I would.

Buying second hand only works if you know what you are looking at/for and if you know exactly what will fit you. Otherwise, you will just end up with a piece of garage art.

Not saying the OP shouldn't consider secondhand, but he should do his research so he knows what he needs before putting his money down.

As I found out there is very little difference in standard equipment in that price range. The frame material and components will all be the same. So basically, ride everything in that range until you find out what bike feels best to you.

Good luck!

There's plenty of value under $1500:

Felt F85 - Shimano Ultegra/105 mix, Alex rims
Gitane Mach 1800 - Shimano 105, carbon forks, Shimano 105 wheels
Learsport 8000 - Shimano 105, carbon forks, Alex rims w Shimano hubs
Lemond Reno - Tiagra/105 mix, carbon forks, Bontrager SSR wheels
Avanti Vivace - Tiagra/105 mix, carbon forks, Shimano R500 wheels
Trek 1000 - ?, but I know it's around that price
Giant OCR 2 - Tiagra, carbon forks, Shimano R500 wheels
Specialized Allez Sport - Tiagra/105 mix, carbon forks, Alex rims