Beginners training suggestions

huskies91

Feb 4, 2007
I just purchased a bike and a Kinetic Trainer, got fit at my LBS and now want to get to it but need some advice.

I have a nice set up in the basement with a TV and radio and everything I need to spend some quality time on the bike. I live in the Northeast and don't have equipment to be outside yet due to the cold weather.

I'm in relatively decent fitness, just ran a marathon on 1/13. I'm a former BMX'er looking to move from my old PK Ripper to my new Scott. Although I recognize there is not a direct correlation between running and riding BMX, I'm relatively fit and ready to go. My ultimate goal for this summer is to have the ability to ride a century.

How should I spend the time on the trainer? Shoot for time? Distance? Intervals? Get a video like Spinervals? Are there websites or links to workouts? Ideally, I want to spend 3-4 days per week on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

huskies91 said:
...I need to spend some quality time on the bike. ...How should I spend the time on the trainer?
Well, any advice that I give will not be expansive enough so I will keep it simple and to the point.

Since you are probably coming from a long time off cycling, pretty much any time on a bike will be helpful, possibly regardless of what you do on the bike. While you are on the trainer this winter, I would stick to getting your body used to riding. Feel free to mix things up and try different things, ride hard one day, and easy the next, pick some workout you saw on the web, do a Spinnervals DVD, whatever. Just don't do a whole lot of 3-4 hour rides in your basement because you are likely to give yourself a case of mental staleness. Right now, I wouldn't worry about all the acronyms that we use on here and the structured training. You would benefit from some of it but I would be afraid of turning you off from riding and, like I said, you are probably starting from a low point bike-wise* and any riding you do will produce rapid gains in your bike fitness at this point.

Try to ride outdoors when you can, it will really help your spirits. Feel free to run a bit if you want to also, as it will benefit your aerobic fitness. As you get more serious and closer to your century goal, you will need to spend more time on a bike and start doing longer and longer rides. I would try to get in a few 75-100-mile rides a few weeks before the century just to be sure that you can do it.

Good luck.

*Obviously you have aerobic fitness but riding a bike and running are muscularly different so there is a bit of adapting that your body needs to go through.