Beginning buying on Craigslist

plop1920

Nov 1, 2013
Hello all,

I'd really like to get into riding, mostly just recreational weekend stuff around the park. So I don't think I need anything amazing, yet I also don't want to buy a hunk of junk that will break down on me or need fixing.

Here's a craiglist ad I saw:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bik/4139734130.html

I'm interested in the 7th picture bike, the brown/orange one because I like the way it looks. Does anybody have any info on this bike? The poster just says its a, "classic vintage sport cruiser bike has wheels rims fast for only $65.00"

I just want a good deal on a ride :(

See if there is a bike shop close enough to visit with the bike. I don't think the orange bike is worth $65. I would look at the pink Schwinn third from the right. This bike will be more flexible for you in riding around. More gears for different situations.

Whatever you do make sure you get a bike that fits you. A frame too big or too small is a mistake.

:( Honestly I'd like a light bike for under $150 used, but I have no idea what to look for. I think I will ask to check out the pink Schwinn like 566 rider recommended

It looks like a '60s vintage Columbia, single speed, coaster brake on the rear wheel and a rim brake in front. At the time this was the most basic adult bike you could buy in the US, for around $50. It's the US version of what we used to call "English racers" back in the day. The British versions weighed about 35 lbs. This one should be at least 40.

My vote is for the black Trek if you're about average height, the orange Schwinn (?) if you're shorter than 5'2".

I guess it's a plus that they all have wheels rims fast.

If you're looking for something light, I'd stay away from all of the vintage cruisers. My pick would be the Trek hybrid in picture 2. If it's in good shape, $70 is a fair price. If you wanted a suspension fork then the Fuji. I'd stay away from the full suspension Mongoose MTB. The two pink bikes look like children's bikes, to me.

I'd also be curious as to how this guy "acquired" 13 old bikes to sell cheaply on craig's list, seeing as how he lives in NYC. Maybe he runs a repair business out of his back yard. Just be aware that you may not be dealing with someone who is basically honest.

Thank you for all the tips guys.. ill make sure to get his name/address and bike serial on a receipt in case they turn out to not be legitate