beginning cyclist, first race coming up!

Samuel89

Jul 7, 2005
I have a 15 mile race/ride coming up and was wondering if you guys had any training advice? I'm beginning my base miles next week with 4 miles every two days a week. Is 4 miles a good starting point or should I up it anymore?

Samuel89 said:
I have a 15 mile race/ride coming up and was wondering if you guys had any training advice? I'm beginning my base miles next week with 4 miles every two days a week. Is 4 miles a good starting point or should I up it anymore?

A lo more........try and do ten miles a day then gradually build it all up to about 30-40 miles a day, it's not as hard as you probably think, just keep your average speed constant and just spin your legs more rather than pushing the gears,

Good luck!

Samuel89 said:
depending on where you live, and what age group you are, make sure you do A LOT more than that. my first race was a junior race and the average speed was 28.1 mph for a 25 mile race, i blew my knee out in the race and had to pull out, but how long until the race?

trackman23434 said:
depending on where you live, and what age group you are, make sure you do A LOT more than that. my first race was a junior race and the average speed was 28.1 mph for a 25 mile race, i blew my knee out in the race and had to pull out, but how long until the race?
I got two whole months and some odd weeks.. October 1st.

trackman23434 said:
That's a sweet average speed for a junior race. Nice. How big was the field?

Not long, I'm 16. I don't really wanna win, which I know I won't, but I just wanna finish and feel good about it.

total of 16 people, on dropped after a couple miles cause he crashed in a corner, then i dropped after about 7 miles of one legging it, i think 14 ended up finishing

whoawhoa said:
That's a sweet average speed for a junior race. Nice. How big was the field?

In my area all the junior fields are ussually less than ten people( My team makes up half the field!!!:D ) while the mens races can reach fifty or more people.

I am going to a 3 day race this weekend with a Time Trial the first day, a Road Race the 2nd day and a Crit on the last day.

The larger the field the easier it is to ride fast because the draft is equivalent to riding behind a moving billboard in the big races and in the small races with tiny fields it's like riding behind a very small car.

Cyclist14 said:
In my area all the junior fields are ussually less than ten people( My team makes up half the field!!!:D ) while the mens races can reach fifty or more people.

I am going to a 3 day race this weekend with a Time Trial the first day, a Road Race the 2nd day and a Crit on the last day.

The larger the field the easier it is to ride fast because the draft is equivalent to riding behind a moving billboard in the big races and in the small races with tiny fields it's like riding behind a very small car.
French Broad?

well ive just started out on the road riding so cant give advice on the training as im learning myself. but i can wish you good luck. hope you do well.