Beginning Mountain Biking

zood

Jul 31, 2005
Hi.

I've got a 6 year old (?) Giant Iguana mountainbike, 21-speed. I'm interested in using it for daily fitness, both on and off-road. Maybe eventually I'll step up from fitness-riding to endurance or "performance" riding.

I'd like some suggestions on learning a few things: how to care for the bike, what's the best diet to to stay fit for endurance cycling, and what other exercise regimen (weightlifting, yoga, pilates, calisthenics, etc.) will help keep me fit overall (in strength, flexibility, endurance) in addition to lots of pedalling?

I'm 25, have been sedentary ever since I got a driver's license 9 years ago. So, I'm starting off with an easy pace, but would like to work up to a more athletic fitness over the next few months.

Any books on bike maintenance, and fitness for cyclists, that people can recommend? A cookbook for cyclists? Any little gadgets to monitor my heartrate while riding, and gauge the distance of my ride?

Is the Giant Iguana an ok bike for riding on the roads? Will I need less knobby tires than what comes stock with it? I don't always want to drive out to the trails just to do some riding.

Thanks for any info and tips!

Chris