Beginning of the end for Lance Armstrong: Greg LeMond

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
GREG LeMond believes a US federal probe into fellow Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong could prompt the downfall of the world's most famous cyclist.

Seven-time champion Armstrong is racing his final Tour campaign amid damaging accusations by former team-mate Floyd Landis that their former team, US Postal, was involved in systematic doping.

A federal investigation into Landis's claims has been launched and is being led by Jeff Novitzky, the same federal agent whose probe into the BALCO doping scandal brought about the downfall of athletics star Marion Jones.

Link: Beginning of the end for Lance Armstrong: Greg LeMond | The Australian

Let's get on the real issue here. Blue shorts... since when have The Shack had blue shorts? Maybe that's why Armstrong lost 15 minutes... he was wearing someone elses shorts. Maybe the shorts supply micro doses of EPO when worn and need changing before the end... The shorts fade to team issue grey when dosing is complete.

It's a new secret technology that surpasses refrigerators being carried around on the back of a moped or being stuck in the backside with a needle while laying on the floor of the team bus.

Isn't that what this is all about...a witch hunt? A bunch of Lance haters are singling him out when almost everyone in the peloton of todays racing is doping; why not go after the whole bunch? No, they pick on Lance because he's won it 7 times, so lets spoil the party.

And speaking of everyone on the tour dopes, Landis is on record to saying the following: "Landis was asked during the ABC Nightline television interview if he considers Armstrong, a multiple-Tour de France winner, a "fraud."

"Well, it depends on what your definition of fraud is," Landis answered. "I mean it, look, if he didn't win the Tour, someone else that was doped would have won the Tour. In every single one of those Tours."

That statement is, unfortunately the bold truth!! It's doubtful if every single person dopes, but it's possible, and I'm not defending Lance because he may have doped and just never got caught like the moron Landis, but it's also possible Lance didn't dope. I guess the trial will bring everything to light.

It's not a hidden secret that Lance was hated by the French, yet even they couldn't prove anything after an ungodly amount of testing. Landis hated Lance because Landis wanted to be the new king of USPS and Lance should have played second fiddle to him, instead of never being able to win the tour because Lance was on his team and Lance was the star.

And for the record, I think doping should be illegal in ALL sports.

Froze said:
Isn't that what this is all about...a witch hunt? A bunch of Lance haters are singling him out when almost everyone in the peloton of todays racing is doping; why not go after the whole bunch? No, they pick on Lance because he's won it 7 times, so lets spoil the party.

And speaking of everyone on the tour dopes, Landis is on record to saying the following: "Landis was asked during the ABC Nightline television interview if he considers Armstrong, a multiple-Tour de France winner, a "fraud."

"Well, it depends on what your definition of fraud is," Landis answered. "I mean it, look, if he didn't win the Tour, someone else that was doped would have won the Tour. In every single one of those Tours."

That statement is, unfortunately the bold truth!! It's doubtful if every single person dopes, but it's possible, and I'm not defending Lance because he may have doped and just never got caught like the moron Landis, but it's also possible Lance didn't dope. I guess the trial will bring everything to light.

It's not a hidden secret that Lance was hated by the French, yet even they couldn't prove anything after an ungodly amount of testing. Landis hated Lance because Landis wanted to be the new king of USPS and Lance should have played second fiddle to him, instead of never being able to win the tour because Lance was on his team and Lance was the star.

Right on!

It is too bad that LeMond won't be remembered as a great cyclist by many and instead as a whiner.

LeMond may have been a great rider, a great champion in his day and a terrific ambassador for American road racing; but no longer is he the affable, courteous champion he once was.

Since LeMond has retired he has turned into a spiteful old fool, jealous & bitter at best. While Greg throws insult after insult, hoping for it to stick to something, Lance is able to remain calm and let Greg lose his reputation.

But poor little Greg Lemond was only successful at racing, everything else has failed. His Lemond bicycles thing failed for which he blamed everyone else for his problems but himself. Then sold the brand to Trek, though remained the owner, but again blamed Trek for destroying his relationship with his dad. The Lemond grew bitter again when Lance became the marketing force behind Trek and not Lemond so again Lemond put the blame on someone else other then himself. And when sales declined for Lemond bicycles, Lemond once again blamed Lance. Does anyone see a pattern here?

Froze said:

$125,00 pays off a lot of people over in France.

Landis did not want to be the the head of USPS but he did want was was fair, bikes to train on being pro and all with a pro cycling team. you'd think that would be a no brainer. reasons like that is why he left, going to Phonak to domestique for Hamilton. Only after Tyler was busted did Floyd become team leader.

and i guess you have to go on a witch hunt seeing as how the witch in question used her spell on so many people for so long, the effects of that potion finally wearing off.

call it what you want but by your own account Lance should be brought down.

Greg, Can you please just get over it and move on. You and Landis are nothing more than bitter has beens. Look at the history of Armstrong. He was tearing up the pro triathlon scene at 15 years of age, his physiology is one in a million and he but more importantly he has the mental ability to be able to harness every bit of it. Look at the facts, he sat on his ass and drank beer for a year or two and then can come out and off the back of nothing knock out a 2:59 marathon and then a 2:45 marathon! There are 4 key things which make Armstrong special; heart, lungs, legs and mind.

Chapeau! said:
Greg, Can you please just get over it and move on. You and Landis are nothing more than bitter has beens. Look at the history of Armstrong. He was tearing up the pro triathlon scene at 15 years of age, his physiology is one in a million and he but more importantly he has the mental ability to be able to harness every bit of it. Look at the facts, he sat on his ass and drank beer for a year or two and then can come out and off the back of nothing knock out a 2:59 marathon and then a 2:45 marathon! There are 4 key things which make Armstrong special; epo, testosterone, blood transfusions and money.

okay , now you sound like me up until last week. i fixed your post for you, btw.

roadhouse said:
and i guess you have to go on a witch hunt seeing as how the witch in question used her spell on so many people for so long, the effects of that potion finally wearing off.

This all smells of a "witch hunt" as Lance warned, with Floyd Landis, the least credible cyclist in history identifying the witches.

We also can't forget this isn't just about Lance. Landis accused practically all of America's greatest cyclists, including George Hincapie of doping, but you don't hear LeMond tooting that horn because George wasn't more successful in the Tour than LeMond.

OUCH!!!!

I smell first rate jealously & I know the Lance haters do too...

Chapeau! said:
This all smells of a "witch hunt" as Lance warned, with Floyd Landis, the least credible cyclist in history identifying the witches.

We also can't forget this isn't just about Lance. Landis accused practically all of America's greatest cyclists, including George Hincapie of doping, but you don't hear LeMond tooting that horn because George wasn't more successful in the Tour than LeMond.

OUCH!!!!

I smell first rate jealously & I know the Lance hater do too...

i'm not jealous, i'm ****** off at the man so yes, now my feelings toward the guy border on pure, unadulterated hatred, despise even but that did not happen until after Floyd came out on TV. I used to say everything you are saying about Floyd and then some up until last week.

what are you gonna say when it finally comes out that yes, Lance doped, lied and cheated his way to the top and for so long, something only a federal investigation could uncover 'cause his ties were that deep?

and again, Floyd is trying to take down UCI, Lance is just a nat in his web that the media is portraying Floyd to be after. the only reason all of those other guys are named is because they were all there too, on that team and to get to UCI, you have to go through them all. in that interview, didn't he say something along the lines of "If I'm saying not only Lance doped than there is a bigger probem?"

I sometimes wish Floyd wouldn't have been caught and so then i could still be like you, blind.

not an insult, just saying.

roadhouse said:
Landis did not want to be the the head of USPS but he did want was was fair, bikes to train on being pro and all with a pro cycling team. you'd think that would be a no brainer. .

call it what you want but by your own account Lance should be brought down.

Actually your wrong, Landis felt that Lance was too old, Landis felt that it was his turn to win the tour after years of playing support for Lance...and Landis may have been justified, but that's the name of the game. Just as it was when Shaq O'Neil left the Lakers because he did not want to play support for Kobe Bryant, but ends up playing for Miami Heat and wins a championship.

But I agree, "IF" Lance is guilty then he should be brought down, but if your going bring him down then you better include at least 99% of the tour riders because I guarantee you their all guilty...but you said the key word: payoffs...thus none of the others will be found out, and maybe Lance too. If Lance is found innocent there will still be those who will doubt it, so what will it accomplish? NOT A DAMN THING! And doping will continue unabated.

I said before, I know doping occurs even in the amateur ranks. When I raced in CAT 3 level there was one person that I knew that was doping, and he said there were others and tried to get me to dope. I wouldn't do it because nothing is that important. But others feel that something is that important and winning in CAT 3 will take them to CAT 2 and CAT 1 where sponsors were waiting, so it is about the money...greed.

roadhouse said:
I sometimes wish Floyd wouldn't have been caught and so then i could still be like you, blind.

not an insult, just saying.

Love the way you potray Landis too be so credible.

I was born at night, I wasn't born last night.

Froze said:
But I agree, "IF" Lance is guilty then he should be brought down, but if your going bring him down then you better include at least 99% of the tour riders because I guarantee you their all guilty...but you said the key word: payoffs...thus none of the others will be found out, and maybe Lance too. If Lance is found innocent there will still be those who will doubt it, so what will it accomplish? NOT A DAMN THING! And doping will continue unabated.

If Lance is innocent or guilty hes still going to have his fans, he will just come out & say I never tested positive.

i'd even say fame and greed. Lance is an attention *****, it fits.

i also know of one local pro cyclist who was busted although he said he didn't know that the drug was in a drink or something or that the chemical was a banned substance in that performance enhancing drink or something of that nature but later it was speculated that the ingredient that was found in his sample could only get into the body by way of injection or at least i think that's what i remember reading, i don't want to speculate myself too much on the matter.
either way, i feel terrible for the guy which is why i adamantly want UCI and Lance to be brought down and instantly and a lifetime ban to take effect for any and all cyclists who are busted in the pro peleton starting yesterday, I'd like to believe less and less people who live their lives wholeheartedly on bicycles because they love it will follow that path and then end up just quitting riding altogether like this guy i know of said he was doing when he received his two year suspension. just terrible terrible, catastrophic type of sad, no doubt.

as for Floyd wanting to be team leader of Postal, i've never heard or read anything on that but you could be right. do you have evidence, a link to where that is stated?

Chapeau! said:
If Lance is innocent or guilty hes still going to have his fans, he will just come out & say I never tested positive.

again, the Menedez Brothers, Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Adolf ******, Josef Stalin... they all had fans too.

Chapeau! said:
Love the way you potray Landis too be so credible.

I was born at night, I wasn't born last night.

i like how you potty ray Lance as credible, that of which this federal investigation is uncovering. blind.

no hard feelings but that last line, oh good gawd, someone please kill me now...:)